nice hotel in Jarabacoa

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I know this is not the right forum, but i guess there are more people here who may have been to Jarabacoa...

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in Jarabacoa for a few days.
Price not a problem...(la chica is paying!!)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We stayed at El Gran Jimenoa, and were very happy with it. Try to have lunch or dinner at Aroma del la Montana (in Hamaca de Dios) - the food is great and the view is amazing.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Vinyasa,
Trip Advisor is often rubbish - just look at Sosau restaurants - Simply Red has been closed since January and yet Trip adviser is still carrying it on their restarant guide.
Local recommendations are much better !

Olly and the Team

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Sorry - Jamaca de Dios. It's a development on a mountain, this website has photo of the restaurant.
Jarabacoa Real Estate bienes raices Jamaca de Dios

Wow, that food better be good for the prices they are charging. Just perused the menu and am a bit shocked.....add on the 26% and you will be paying close to $1,000 pesos for un mero al ajillo :eek:. I spend a week in Las Terrenas every Samana Santa and eat the freshest of fish in nice restaurants and that plate would be in the $500-$600 range. I would love to see the spot, seems like a beautiful location, but it would have to truly be a dining "experience" for me to consider dropping that type of coin.

Jan 17, 2009
Did the owners bother reporting that it had closed down? Did you? Someone has to. It's a member-driven site.

Vinyasa,
Trip Advisor is often rubbish - just look at Sosau restaurants - Simply Red has been closed since January and yet Trip adviser is still carrying it on their restarant guide.

Olly and the Team

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Guesthouse in Jarabacoa

... hotel in Jarabacoa for a few days.

Tim Horn, who also is a DR1 member, has a guest house there.
guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
You may want to contact him, he is a friend of ours.

donP

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow, that food better be good for the prices they are charging. Just perused the menu and am a bit shocked.....add on the 26% and you will be paying close to $1,000 pesos for un mero al ajillo :eek:. I spend a week in Las Terrenas every Samana Santa and eat the freshest of fish in nice restaurants and that plate would be in the $500-$600 range. I would love to see the spot, seems like a beautiful location, but it would have to truly be a dining "experience" for me to consider dropping that type of coin.

They have a real chef and the food is good. As far as worth the money, well thats subjective.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I don't remember exactly what we spent, but I *think* it was about 5000RD with all the taxes and tip, for 5 adults. Included beers, wine, antipasto, entree, and I think all of us had dessert. The food was good, plenty of it. I can't remember what any of us had, if that tells you something.

That being said, I really think that anyone who spends a few days in Jarabacoa and doesn't go there for one meal is missing out on a great experience. Just the ride up and down the mountain is breathtaking. When we arrived, and saw the location/view, we all kind of looked at each other and thought 'Uh oh, this is going to cost a fortune'. We decided if it was outrageous we would just have drinks and leave. We stayed, and were glad we did.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Vinyasa,

Olly and the Team

I know that and thus I am asking on here!
But, tripadvisor can also be useful, I just wouldn't take it as gospel

Dec 21, 2008
Mr. Silver Fox and I stayed there a week ago along with another couple. The rooms were nicely done, very clean. Our room overlooked the river. We used the restaurant in the hotel for our meals. Breakfast was included with the room charge. Dinner/Lunch menu was very good and very reasonably priced. Staff was very friendly. Pool was clean. We would definitely stay there again if we return to the area.

We stayed at El Gran Jimenoa, and were very happy with it. Try to have lunch or dinner at Aroma del la Montana (in Hamaca de Dios) - the food is great and the view is amazing.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Gran Jimenoa is a very nice place and experience. We've used it for years (just count your drinks and check your alcohol bill.)

Jamacka de Dios is a truly fine dining experience, ther best in the area. It IS, however, pricy. But the view may be one of the BEST in the entire country, well worth the price differential.