" Piedras de coral" flooring tile - where to buy?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
We would like to know where to purchase per square meter the beautiful flooring material call "piedras de coral?"
I think it is also called "coraluna" but I'm not certain.
In total, we need to buy approx 178 square meters and prefer a vendor in the greater Las Terrenas area but realize Santo Domingo might be the only place to get it from a reliable (hehehe!):confused: vendor. No delivery is required, we can pick up.
Also, what is the approximate retail cost per square meter if someone has purchased some for their home recently.
Much obliged!

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Marmoles del la Ensenada in Boca Chica. They have their own quarry and did two bathrooms. Ask for Wally, she will design it.La Ensenada

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
You can get it unfinished along the roadside various dealers on the Duarte highway.
Have to hire men and equipment to lay it and polish it.
Otherwise Menicuci in PoP, Santiago.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Here is the work Marmoles de Ensenada did for me. The masterbath is coralina. The guest bath is marble and onyx

iframe>

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Dr Guy-
Looks great and very well done!
So if I understand correctly, the coralina tile in your bathroom: is it polished or does it come already like this?
Does your tile guy do the polishing on site once the coralina is laid and installed?
How laborious is this?
Does he fill in the little holes as well during this process? If so, with what material?
We really liked the unique & local look of this material.
We saw the "raw" tile and liked it but was told it should be "polished" but I am not 100% sure on this.

Does anybody care to share?
Thank you!

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You don't need to polish it if you don't want to.

We have it our living/dining room... rough, with the indentations alive and well
but
You should seal it in the event of spills.. wine, blood, etc.

You can polish and seal too.
Polishing will remove the quarry marks - we left them - and will make a smooth surface - indentations remain.

We have it outside, around the pool... things grow in it - its a natural thing.
Powerwashing or a good scrubbing w/ Cloro every now and then scares the algae away for a while.

A very good indigenous product... there are lots of others too.... pizaro? (sp) is great too

Oh, don't seal outside around the pool/porch... the sealant makes it slippery... peligroso!!

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
@2020

Yes it is coralina. For the floors, they have a machine that polishes the rough edges and sort of gives it a glazed look. This feels nice on the barefeet. The walls are rough and look great. There are very few holes, but the ones I had they put the same color grout in the holes. You can visit the quarry and factory near Boca Chica. Every order is custom made. You can not see in the picture, but I have to different sizes of rectangular tiles which gives it a designed feel.

Cheers!

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Thank you all for your recommendations!

Prices: per square meter (using small 10cm x 10cmx 1cm ) = 615 dp from La Ensenada in Soshua area (laenseneda.com)

I'll contact Marmotech in Santiago to see if that is line.

Any cheaper prices out there for Carolina flooring tile?

We would like to go with 60cm x 60cm if we can for the floor of the home...