Santo Domingo in short time- what to do?!

jaykayham

Sep 18, 2012
Hi to you all,

I will start a short visit to Santo Domingo soon, staying close to the Plaza de Espa?a/Colonial District.

What do I have to do- I mean, what is a must see and do (as I will stay only 1,5 days)?! Any suggestions- perfect would be in walking distance to Plaza de Espa?a. In addition, any recommendation for an inexpensive local cafe, bar and restaurant close to Plaza de Espa?a , read no tourist trap?

ThanX ChriX

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
All of the Zona Colonial or Colonial District will be within walking distance. With just 1.5 days, I'd suggest you stick to the Zona Colonial, because it will take up all of your time specially if you're walking. You should visit the Catedral, Fortaleza Ozama, Museo de las Casas Reales. Those are all a short walk from Plaza Espa?a. Avoid the Cafes at the plaza itself, as they are basically tourist spots and their prices are above average. I guess if you want to have a non-tourist experience in that area the only place I can think of is El Conde. That is a very known boulevard, you can't miss it. There are caf?s, small shops, etc. Beware, however,as El Conde is a known place for some lowlife to hang out, but nothing to worry about if you keep your eyes open (keep cellphones, electronics in your pockets). There are plenty of options for nightlife in Zona Colonial, so that won't be a problem. Enjoy your stay!

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
El conde, gascue, la avenida venezuela at nightime to go to bars and clubs, a short cab ride to the blue mall or the new mall, the malecon, you can take a cab to villa mella and they have cinemas and stores and places to hang out. Really, your options are endless. Just enjoy it while it lasts. There should be boatloads of fun for you. I hope your trip does not go too fast because there is a lot to do. Taxis are cheap and you can easy take taxis to places too.

Are you going with friends? family? alone? to see people you know in the DR?

jaykayham

Sep 18, 2012
Are you going with friends? family? alone? to see people you know in the DR?

THANX, I will be on my own- having visited the DR before, but had never the chance before to see Santo Domingo!
BTW. any recommendations for a nice. good, inexpensive restaurant at the places you mentioned?

ChriX