Cooking Class #2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
POLLO

Another cold, wet, windy day on Lake Huron..... bored, but booked on Saturday for better RD climate.

This is a good one that we enjoy regularly......

Chile Chicken

Chicken w/ or w/o Skin
Pieces or halves

Brine
12 Cups water
6 tblsp Kosher salt
1/4C each sugar and honey
1 tblsp soy sauce
5 thyme sprigs
6 cloves of garlic, crushed/peeled
1 small hot chile of choice

Seasoning Blend
1/4C mild chile powder
2Tbsp eack paprika and dark brown sugar
1/2 tbsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp each of garlic salt & fresh ground black pepper & kosher salt

Sweet/Sour Chile Glaze
1 C water
1/2C each - cider vinegar,sugar,honey
1/4C thinly sliced chiles of choice - jalapeno, serrano, etc
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tsp fine grind black pepper

Finishing Dressing
1/2 C olive oil
1/2 lemon(no seeds)
1/4C chopped chives
Fleur de Sel

1/3C vegetable oil
1/2C apple juice & water spray

Brine the chicken - whole or in parts for 4 hrs or more in a sealed bag

BBQ to 300 ready for indirect cooking (smokey fruitwood if possible)

Remove chicken from brine and lightly pat dry.
Coat generously w/ the seasoning rub blend then brush lightly w/ the vegetable oil

Cook indirectly for 45 min, spraying w/ the apple spray every 15 mins

Prepare a well oiled hot section of the grill.

Put the chicken on the hot/direct heat grill for 3 min each side

Remove from the grill &
Dredge or baste the glaze on.

Place back on grill, indirect heat, presentation side up and spoon on the sliced chiles from the glaze

Cook for 10 minutes more.

Drizzle the cutting board w/ the olive oil, squeeze the lemon on, and sprinkle w/ Fleur de Sel.

This may be served whole (as cooked) or pulled from the bones like pulled pork.
Dredge the final pieces thru the board dressing.

Another Adam Perry Lang / Lindsey Kaufman experience.:cheeky:
This is really good... you should try it. We find the RD chickens benefit from the brining.

Reactions: PICHARDO
Aug 21, 2007
My mouth is watering, WW! Just to clarify,.....you wrote "spray with the apple spray." I believe you are referring to the apple cider vinegar sweet/sour glaze.

And for the novices....it looks like a lot of work. It is, but only the first or second time until you get the method down. Then it is easy and goes smoothly.

And is soooo delicious!

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, spray w/ the apple juice and water mixture....

We had it last night on a 1/2 chicken..... delicious.

And I added your board dressing - especial:)

I wrote that and then went to the kitchen to eat the leftovers:glasses:

Aug 21, 2007
Yes, of course you are right. Sorry. I was trying to read your post while multi tasking. Should never do that.

Happy eating!

Lindsey

Dec 26, 2011
I actually made a much simpler version of this today. Your recipe is amazing by the way.

Chicken Breasts with Soy Garlic Butter Sauce

1. Set oven to 375

2. Rub butter sparingly on bottom of glass baking pan

3. Cut 2 chicken breasts in half or butterfly them if you prefer

4. Combine 4 tbsp of soy sauce, 4 diced cloves of garlic and 4 tbsp of butter

5. Heat sauce in saucepan on low until the butter's melted

6. Drizzle half of the sauce over the 4 halved breasts taking care to retain the garlic in the saucepan with the rest of the sauce to be used later for basting

7. Bake for 20 minutes at 375

8. Turn breasts and drizzle with the remaining sauce taking care to evenly distribute the garlic on the chicken

9. Broil on low until the chicken sizzles and the garlic crisps to a golden brown taking care not to let it burn

Serve over egg noodles or white rice with a cooked vegetable and a salad

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I actually made a much simpler version of this today. Your recipe is amazing by the way.

Chicken Breasts with Soy Garlic Butter Sauce

1. Set oven to 375

2. Rub butter sparingly on bottom of glass baking pan

3. Cut 2 chicken breasts in half or butterfly them if you prefer

4. Combine 4 tbsp of soy sauce, 4 diced cloves of garlic and 4 tbsp of butter

5. Heat sauce in saucepan on low until the butter's melted

6. Drizzle half of the sauce over the 4 halved breasts taking care to retain the garlic in the saucepan with the rest of the sauce to be used later for basting

7. Bake for 20 minutes at 375

8. Turn breasts and drizzle with the remaining sauce taking care to evenly distribute the garlic on the chicken

9. Broil on low until the chicken sizzles and the garlic crisps to a golden brown taking care not to let it burn

Serve over egg noodles or white rice with a cooked vegetable and a salad

I need to verify, but I think I have this recipe from a Jamaican woman....
Make sense ?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
This really should be a sticky, so all recipes stay together.

Now, one of my favourite dishes is the Chines deepfried porkdumplings in sweet&sour sauce, but the only one I found in the DR was horrible, so I found a basic recipe, and played around with it. Now it is the I missed and liked...

Ingredients:

3/4 pound thick chuleta or filete de cerdo
2 - 3 teaspoons soy sauce
Pinch of cornstarch

Sauce:

1/4 cup sugar (the dark kind is the best, if it has no sand in it...lol)
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water or orange juice
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water

Batter:

1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup icecold water (I prefer to use sparkling water, but is not necessary), as needed

Other:

1 carrot
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
1 onion, chopped in bitesize pieces
1 small carrot
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
3 cups oil for deep-frying, or as needed

Preparation:

Directions for sweet and sour pork
Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes. Marinate in the soy sauce and cornstarch for 20 minutes (if chuleta, 1 hour as it softens the meat as well).

To prepare the sauce, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, ketchup, dark soy sauce, salt, water or juice and vinegar. Set aside. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Set aside.

Peel the carrot and chop on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the seeds and cut into cubes.

Heat the oil for deep--frying to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the batter, combine the flour and cornstarch. Stir in the egg white and vegetable oil. Add as much of the icecold water as is needed to form a thick batter that is neither too dry or too moist. (The batter should not be runny, but should drop off the back of a spoon).

Dip the marinated pork cubes in the batter. Deep-fry in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry the pork until it is golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Put in oven to keep warm.

(If desired you can deep-fry the pork at second time to make it extra crispy. Make sure the oil is back up to 375 before you begin deep-frying again).

To prepare the sweet and sour sauce, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetables, and pineapple. Bring to a boil again and thicken with cornstarch mixture, stirring. Check the sauce one more time and adjust seasonings, adding salt and/or vinegar if desired. Serve hot over the deep-fried pork. Serve the sweet and sour pork over rice.

It is perfectly doable to make a large batch of the dumplings, and freeze the rest. They taste nice as a snack in the evening with the chili-sauce you can get here everywhere.

Enjoy

Aug 21, 2007
Does sound good. Tonight I am making chicken paprikash with spatzle the way my mother taught me. We are Pennsylvania Dutch.

With all the Germans here, I would love to have a recipe of the way they make it.

Lindsey

Dec 26, 2011
Does sound good. Tonight I am making chicken paprikash with spatzle the way my mother taught me. We are Pennsylvania Dutch.

With all the Germans here, I would love to have a recipe of the way they make it.

Lindsey

I'm from that ancestry. :)

How about some Schnitz un Knepp or some Hog Maw?

Dec 26, 2011
NO! You are killing me. Send me a Fastnacht recipe and bring on down some Utz pretzels and Lebanon baloney!

...but just to stay on topic, I would love a Paprikash recipe from the Sosua Germans!

Lindsey

Snyder's are better pretzels. :) But Utz makes good chips. Especially Old Bay. MMMM.

Didn't know Germans made Paprikash. I had a gf of Hungarian descent that made that about once a month. Very good stuff. Especially in the cold weather.