Dom passport renewal

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My wife has let her Dominican passport expire while living in the US. She has a permanent resident (green card).
The DR consulate is closed here in Houston, Texas. We have had no luck in trying to speak to the DR embassy and no answer to our email so far.
Does anyone know if she is allowed to fly from the US to the DR with an expired passport and her green card?
Can we renew her DR passport while she is in the US?
Thanks for any input here. Like idiots we bought the tickets and then looked at the passports so we have a time constraint.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I know you can enter your country of origin (whatever it is) with your passport, even if it is expired. They can't deny you entry to your own country just because of an expired passport.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm pretty sure that Mr. AE renewed his Dominican passport once right at the Santo Domingo airport. He's at work, so I can't confirm that, and it was a couple of years ago.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Well, that is some good news. Nowadays nothing surprises me when it comes to government regulation. One friend said she traveled to the DR on an expired passport but when the wife called the NY embassy they said she had to renew it by mail at the California embassy. Thanks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My concern is with American Airlines understanding that she can fly to the DR on an expired passport. In the past I have had problems with AA and their own rules regarding flying with a dog. They nearly did not let me take my dog out of the DR because "he looked like some of the dogs on their no fly list". I am hoping to find something in writing from the DR embassy.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, doing a little research, although (as usual) rules are not very clear, it seems that oddly enough, DR does require a current passport to dominicans to enter the country. Again, it is not explicit, but this seems to state that you need a "carta de ruta" otherwise:

Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

I would suggest you have your wife call the nearest working consulate and set things straight.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks, appreciate the help. No surprise that the rules make no sense. Now if can just get a consulte to answer the phone. So far they have ignored my emails. Par for the course.

Aug 22, 2011
When I went to DR in 2009 it was with an expired passport and I had no problems getting in. I renewed it before I came back to NY. I flew with Jetblue from JFK. The only problem was with TSA who won't let you through with expired i.d. so make sure your green card is not expired.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Thanks. I think I will go to the airport and talk to them. I have tried to contact a number of the consulates in other cities and they transfer me to an extension with a recording that this number is not taking calls. Really annoying. The DR in the US. Other people have told me they flew home to the DR with an expired passport no problem. We shall see.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Houston residents get their passports renewed via the Dominican Consulate in New Orleans, LA. She would have to go there personally to drop info and payment. NO sends the info to NYC, and they'll send her the new passport via UPS.

I know several people in Houston who have not been allowed to travel to the DR because their Dominican passports had expired. One fellow was there illegally, and all he wanted to do was "self-deport" but was not allowed.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
From what I have gathered so far - one used to be able to fly home to the DR on an expired passport. No longer that way.
We called the nearest consultate whice is New Orleans. They gave us a phone number of a person here in Houston. Wife called that person and for $130 US we get the new passport in two weeks. We meet with this mysterious person on Monday next at 9:30 am. I have no idea how this is going to work. Wife is happy with the deal and asked no questions. When my wife is happy, I am happy and I have learned to not ask her any questions. Thats how it is. We shall see on Monday and if it works I will post this persons phone number. Who knows, maybe it will work and best of all if it does not then its not my fault which is the best part. Up to this point it was my job and I tried normal channels and got no where so she took over and in 5 minutes had this persons phone number.