A Sosoua Story (long)

M

mkohn

We arrived late in the afternoon and stayed in Lobo's area. We rented 3 chairs from him for $DR100. He pulled them up in to the shade for us. My husband and I went right to the water. The beach seemed smaller than I remember (I was 14) but still beautiful.
Since it was late in the afternoon, many of the guys were trying to park their boats for the evening. The process is quite interesting. It's team work.
First they lay out some inflated rafts, take the boat out a ways in to the water and then race it up the beach as far up over the rafts as possible. Then they try and push it up further, under the trees. If they can't do it, they try again or find a bunch of muscle men willing to help.
Okay, so now you know the drill. Here's the story.
From the water, we observed an attractive lady in a two piece swimming suit just getting in to the water. She had a friend with her.
Well, we were enjoying watching them 'beach these boats', and soon she became part of the scene.
There was this whole group of red-blooded Dominicans trying to help a guy park his boat for the day. The problem, this woman was swimming in the path of the boat....
Naturally, the guys started hissing, whisteling, waving, etc. trying to get her to get out of the way. Well, she ignored them for quite a while, and they just got more insistent without actually moving any closer to her.
Finally, she faced the guys, her back to the boat. She cupped her hands over her mouth, and to all the animated Dominicans, she shouted "BASTA". (ENOUGH)
Well, we were hoping to see the next boat parked, and she was just not cooperating. Since we were in the ocean, right next to her (about 50 feet) I figured additional communication was required. So I cupped my hands over my mouth, and in her general direction shouted "PELIGRO", (DANGER) and started pointing to the boat waiting in the water. After a few times, she got the message and quietly got out of the water with her friend.
It took a while for the guys to get the next 2 boats out of the water, but finally they got them put away.
That was the excitement.
My husband did a little snorkeling, (you can rent the stuff from Lobo) (this is how he supports his family) and saw some fish in the general beach area. Our son even got in the ocean. You never know what a teenager will do.
Once we got out of the water, Lobo was there to offer to get drinks for us. They even have one in a carved out pineapple!
We had to drag the teenager out of the water - a las 6 y pico :)
a little after 6 (the actual beach closes at 6.)
Lots of beautiful sand, the ocean is clean, the views are great, and even teenagers get in to it.