DR needs for 4x4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I was wondering if 4x4 is really necessary in Dominican Republic. I understand with all the high bumps and potholes size of biggest and deepest craters in the world people need high driving position. But with it's good weather of DR, I wonder if 4x4 is truly necessary. I went to Rio in Moca few weeks back and I do understand if you live in unpaved mountain roador live on the street where streets get muddy whenever it rains, you'll need 4x4 to get around. But I am not looking in to tow anything or going on a adventure like going on a mountain or drive on a sandy beach anytime soon.

I am debating this because I am looking into buying a car and saw a front wheel 07 Santa Fe and it had Florida highway miles and minor accidents and before I go out and look at few more cars. I was arguing if I truly need a 4x4 in DR.

Those drive 4x4. Please explain why 4x4 in DR?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I own a 4x4. I only use it when I'm seriously off-roading. Bahia de Las Aguilas or some towns beyond Constanza are good examples where you will need 4x4 traction. In city driving (flooded streets and potholes), and even in mild dirt mountain roads, any high clearance vehicle will do.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you stay on tarmac, no problem with conventional drive.

4WD has saved our butts on numerous occasions, but we sometimes go waaaay deep into the campo.

Consider the "job" you have and get the correct tool for it...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Generally not necessary....

One thing I did was to lock the rear axle - differential...... 2 wheels driving in sync.
Its a simple kit.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Although I don't live in the DR; I do drive a fair amount there, mostly in the Cibao area.

IMO it will depend on the area you will use the vehicle in. In most areas the roads have been vastly improved from say 10 years ago.

Unless you plan on living literally on a mountain in any of the Cordilerras ranges, you will do fine with a high-ground clearance vehicle.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sonny: I agree with all of the above!! You really do not need one unless you are going to drive from here to San Juan de la Maguana by going straight south from Constanza!!! An adventure! but not for city driving or going to the beach...not now.

Before I even had snow chains to get to Punta Rucia. Then I had a couple of Land Rovers (old style) so I never got stuck...Not needed any more....paved almost all the way there!!

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have been to few remote places in DR and i swear that even on the worst mountain road we were passed by happily rolling downhill old toyota corolla or honda civic. so, apparently, no need for 4x4 :)

i would say, like everyone before me: a decant tall car would be fine, unless you want to venture in the worst areas. we have a small city car and a large jeep. occasionally i am caught on a rough road (after rains) in my capa and i manage to make it through in one piece but it is not fun.

so for city driving and a bit outside you could do with just about anything, just go slowly and carefully. for adventures get something like tomcat :)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks everybody....
I've asked people around and it seems like most are happy with none 4x4 as well. Prices are little cheaper and it's better on gas, I guess it's no brainer. I'll be looking for something little bigger that has great safety record. I thought about going something smaller like Tucson, Escape or Equinox but I'll pay little more for something that is more safe like 07-09 Santa fe or Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.