My wife refuses to go to new student conference day.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
My wife refuses to go to new student conference day because she thinks it is an excuse for the teachers not to teach class. Either that or she is afraid to go because she thinks the other mothers are from a higher class than she is. When I asked her about that she said, "oh please, get over yourself." Her family is what I would call "campo upper class". They are the only people in their campo to have an internet connection, heated water etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
years ago when i went to high school i explained to my mother there will be no more teacher-parent meetings (shameless lie). in four years of HS the principal, my head teacher and other teachers demanded my parents to show at school - i was disrespectful, i missed classes and i was mean. guess what, i won. my parents never ever went showed up (they did not even know they had to), and we lived on the other side of the street :) and overall after years of slacking i finished high school as a second best student :)

so yes, i always thought those meetings were a waste of time. what the hell is talked about there i cannot even imagine. boring s**t, no doubt. no reason to ever go there and waste time that could be perfectly well spent busying your hands with idle things the devil tells you you should do :) ;)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
That it will probably cause a problem if we don't show up at it.

Child does better in school when parents are informed. Someone needs to go. Don't see a problem with you going alone.

Instead of hitting on mom's insecurities (maybe she didn't do well herself in school or didn't go to private school) prep her on what to expect, and have some questions ready. Know what you want to find out, so you have a purpose for going. If you are paying for this school, all the more reason to go. I'd want to know if I'm getting my money's worth.

If she's not that interested in finding out or you are not willing to do it alone, put the child in public school, because you are wasting your money. Education needs to be a priority for it to be successful.

"Tough Love" from a teacher/mother who spends much more time than I like with her own child making sure homework gets done and reading after a long day in the trenches.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
years ago when i went to high school i explained to my mother there will be no more teacher-parent meetings (shameless lie). in four years of HS the principal, my head teacher and other teachers demanded my parents to show at school - i was disrespectful, i missed classes and i was mean. guess what, i won. my parents never ever went showed up (they did not even know they had to), and we lived on the other side of the street :) and overall after years of slacking i finished high school as a second best student :)

so yes, i always thought those meetings were a waste of time. what the hell is talked about there i cannot even imagine. boring s**t, no doubt. no reason to ever go there and waste time that could be perfectly well spent busying your hands with idle things the devil tells you you should do :) ;)

Everytime you post I so hope I get a chance to meet you someday!

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
We decided that myself and the housekeeper will go because she takes care of my stepson a lot also. I don't know what to expect myself since it is a completely different culture than the USA.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It shouldn't be an intimidating experience. She only has to listen to what the teachers say and doesn't need to ask questions if she doesn't want to, beyond "how is he doing?" and the usual courtesies.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
" Her family is what I would call "campo upper class". They are the only people in their campo to have an internet connection, heated water etc.

I believe you mean " barrio middle class ". Internet, phone line, battery backup and hot water is a sign there is or was a gringo sending WU to one of her primas. Now if they own a car that does not have a cracked windshield then they are " upper class ".

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Relax Tman, its just an orientation. Meet and greet, ask questions etc. You and housekeeper go like you planned. Hope this is not a sign of things to come with the wife. Is going to school her idea or yours? Good luck.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I believe you mean " barrio middle class ". Internet, phone line, battery backup and hot water is a sign there is or was a gringo sending WU to one of her primas. Now if they own a car that does not have a cracked windshield then they are " upper class ".

Hahahahahahaha, what about a jeepito? rich? :)

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I went and the teacher mostly asked about his home life and stuff that he has. My wife's family is not in a barrio though, they live in a campo of Nagua on the other side of the mountains from San Francisco.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I went and the teacher mostly asked about his home life and stuff that he has. My wife's family is not in a barrio though, they live in a campo of Nagua on the other side of the mountains from San Francisco.

Sorry Trainman, had an ex from Pimentel on what i believe is the same road. Once outside of Nagua it is the campo. Anyone with a shack not made out of wood is campo middle class. Beautiful area with some really awesome Mansions up in the hills.

Were you treated any different being a gringo going to the teachers meeting? When i went to pay for another exes kids school ( DOP1000 month ) the teacher asked the kid questions about me.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Hey its your kid some things you may have to be the point man on. Im sure you have a better idea of what kind of education you want better than your wife does. Next time they have one buy your wife a new handbag a week before. She will be dying to go and show it off. or tell her that the teacher is attractive that will get her there LOL

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hey its your kid some things you may have to be the point man on. Im sure you have a better idea of what kind of education you want better than your wife does. Next time they have one buy your wife a new handbag a week before. She will be dying to go and show it off. or tell her that the teacher is attractive that will get her there LOL

I do not believe Trainman is the baby daddy, the kid was part of the package.
It is apparent who wears the pants in this household.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
According to me a problem created by her past, and the past of her parents...

You are trying to give her kid a better education and chance than she had, and she is afraid to make a "fool" of herself in front of the teachers. Same as her parents did when she went to school, and they never did.

Try telling her it is for the good of her kid, although it will be uphill work, I am afraid. I had the same problem with my ex in Belgium, and never managed it. Mind you, the times she went, she did embarass herself... lol

BelgianK

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
where do you have the kid in school that would be so ?pper class for the mom? that might not be a great idea - the kid will always be the lower case idiot being taken care of by a gringo. not exactly a great setup socially.