moving to DR for +6 months - questions....

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Hello guys...I plan to move to DR and live there for like 6-10 months...i was living in SE Asia for 6 months too in my life, it was wonderfull experience, but now it's time to change some view....My "case" is maybe not that typical, but it still comes with questions....I did research already, but haven't found answers to all my questions,so...

1. I plan to learn Spanish in DR. Is it OK location to do such thing ? Or maybe dominican spanish is too different from the castillan version , so I shouldn't bother....My other good locations/alternatives to learn would be: Ecuador, Colombia, Guatemala....But the problem with these countries is the cost of the airplane ticket (expensive!!!) from Europe (yes, I'm from there;] )...- to Dominican Republic it's very cheap (around 200 euros one way). My current level of spanish is let's say 1/10 :) Will I have many options to learn by socializing ? heheh.... (ie: attending to university as unenrolled student/auditor,attending spanish courses, doing volunteering, having local Girlfriend ;])
2. I work online, so I need quite steady internet access...is it doable in DR in some more remote areas ? I mean: not exactly in Santo Domingo, but in some small city....
3. Living here for 35000 pesos/ month ... Doable ? My lifestyle: not drinking, not doing clubs that much, not going for hookers (that much). My only extra costs during month (except food and studio/departo rent) would be some massage from time to time...+/or maybe some support to local GF (not hooker, though)....I see many (on mundoanuncio website) adverts with apartamentos for 8000 $ RD/month....Looking ok, as for single guy...
4. I plan to buy small motorbike here around 125 cm3 for transporting...Is it easy to sell it later , before leaving DR ? Can I actually buy motorbike here only on tourist card ? I have driver license, both for car and motorbike + international drivers license
5. Chances to get to know "normal" local girl, who isn't hooker 100 % ? ;-) I will be staying there longer than few weeks as most of the tourists do, so...
6. "Return ticket" - do they really require to have return ticket while landing in DR ? What if I obtain tourist card already in DR in some European embassy..would be that sufficient to not have return ticket ? And if they do require that ticket in all cases, does it have to return to your port of departure, or could be, to let's say - bus ticket to Haiti ;-) ? I wrote to DR embassy about this matter, still no reply though...:)

Thanks for your time for reading and answering those questions...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
having local Girlfriend
not going for hookers (that much).
maybe some support to local GF (not hooker, though)....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RoIHv6a_ID8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
yeah, you know.... not all girls are hookers in 100 %...Your confusion states that its impossible to find Dominican girlfriend who won't be hooker ? ;-) ?

terminology for this topic:
hooker - short term girlfriend
girlfriend - longer relationship based not in 100 % in money ;]

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hello guys...I plan to move to DR and live there for like 6-10 months...i was living in SE Asia for 6 months too in my life, it was wonderfull experience, but now it's time to change some view....My "case" is maybe not that typical, but it still comes with questions....I did research already, but haven't found answers to all my questions,so...

1. I plan to learn Spanish in DR. Is it OK location to do such thing ? Or maybe dominican spanish is too different from the castillan version , so I shouldn't bother....My other good locations/alternatives to learn would be: Ecuador, Colombia, Guatemala....But the problem with these countries is the cost of the airplane ticket (expensive!!!) from Europe (yes, I'm from there;] )...- to Dominican Republic it's very cheap (around 200 euros one way). My current level of spanish is let's say 1/10 :) Will I have many options to learn by socializing ? heheh.... (ie: attending to university as unenrolled student/auditor,attending spanish courses, doing volunteering, having local Girlfriend ;])
2. I work online, so I need quite steady internet access...is it doable in DR in some more remote areas ? I mean: not exactly in Santo Domingo, but in some small city....
3. Living here for 35000 pesos/ month ... Doable ? My lifestyle: not drinking, not doing clubs that much, not going for hookers (that much). My only extra costs during month (except food and studio/departo rent) would be some massage from time to time...+/or maybe some support to local GF (not hooker, though)....I see many (on mundoanuncio website) adverts with apartamentos for 8000 $ RD/month....Looking ok, as for single guy...
4. I plan to buy small motorbike here around 125 cm3 for transporting...Is it easy to sell it later , before leaving DR ? Can I actually buy motorbike here only on tourist card ? I have driver license, both for car and motorbike + international drivers license
5. Chances to get to know "normal" local girl, who isn't hooker 100 % ? ;-) I will be staying there longer than few weeks as most of the tourists do, so...
6. "Return ticket" - do they really require to have return ticket while landing in DR ? What if I obtain tourist card already in DR in some European embassy..would be that sufficient to not have return ticket ? And if they do require that ticket in all cases, does it have to return to your port of departure, or could be, to let's say - bus ticket to Haiti ;-) ? I wrote to DR embassy about this matter, still no reply though...:)

Thanks for your time for reading and answering those questions...

1. Check Calendar (http://www.dr1.com/calendar) for many free talks, courses, presentations to attend to. The movies are reasonably priced here and many films are in Spanish, or at least have Spanish subtitles. Take a Spanish class, but these may be pricey. Dominican Republic is an easy to go place. If you move to one of the towns, your costs will be much lower than in the big cities or tourist destinations.
Dominican slang is different, but Dominican Spanish is for the most part the same. Of course there are some local word usage that is different-- Dominicanisms.

2. Internet access is usually good in most small cities, too. Rents will also be much more affordable.

3. RD$8,000 will get you a very good place in a small city... in Santo Domingo it will get you a not central location, but is findable.

4. Would advise against this. Get around with local transportation and taxis at night. Will be cheaper than the cost of a motorbike, which you risk having stolen or having an accident. Another reason is that you are only allowed to drive here for 30 days after which if you get in an accident you are liable for all the damages.

5. Chances are good. Get involved in volunteering, take classes, check dr1.com/calendar for activities
Better that way to find someone who wont milk you.

6. You are required to have a return ticket to travel to the DR. You could buy a no-restrictions airline ticket and then return it for a credit on your credit card. Haven't heard of anyone producing a bus ticket to Haiti and having it accepted. Suppose it could work but you are risking losing what you paid if it doesn't as doubt refunds are accepted. Now how to purchase that online? Probably too much trouble. See Caribe Tours.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It would be a lot easier to help if we had some more info from you.

Why are you considering a move to DR? Is it solely to learn the language, or what else are you trying to do?

Do you want to live in a city, countryside, near a beach, etc? What are your interests?

There are a number of schools in which you can learn Spanish, but the type of Dominican Spanish a guy on a 35k RD budget is likely to encounter certainly won't be the cleanest. You'd frankly be better off saving up a bit more and heading on to Costa Rica or Colombia, if that was your main goal.

Also, a 35k budget is less than $1,000USD. You will find that will give you a very spartan lifestyle, at current prices. The combination of a very low budget and no Spanish will severely limit your traveling/experience options, as much as pretty much rule out a girlfriend (legit or otherwise).

Notwithstanding your answers to the above questions, my initial advice would be to save more money OR cut your trip duration from six to three months. A budget of 70k RD will be much easier to live on, and you'll have a far better overall experience.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Dolores, thx for your reply.
DRob: my motivations are mix of a)want to escape european winter b)want to have some fun/adventure c)want to spend time not only hedonistic way (that's why I choose to learn something - spanish). I could easily go back to Thailand or Indonesia and enjoy being lazy over there...but now it's time to also learn something ;] Btw. if people in DR earn 300-400 $ per month, how do they survive ? so with 1000 $ monthly (not travelling that much, staying mostly in one place) will give me spartan life ? hmmmm...as for place to live - ability to socialize and have peace of mind - are there such places ;-) ? could be near beach, could be some countryside, could be some city....i would like to avoid some big cities though (like Santo Domingo)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
DRob: my motivations are mix of a)want to escape european winter b)want to have some fun/adventure c)want to spend time not only hedonistic way (that's why I choose to learn something - spanish). I could easily go back to Thailand or Indonesia and enjoy being lazy over there...but now it's time to also learn something ;] Btw. if people in DR earn 300-400 $ per month, how do they survive ? so with 1000 $ monthly (not travelling that much, staying mostly in one place) will give me spartan life ? hmmmm...as for place to live - ability to socialize and have peace of mind - are there such places ;-) ? could be near beach, could be some countryside, could be some city....i would like to avoid some big cities though (like Santo Domingo)

Curious,

Keep in mind that folks earning that little are:

1) Dominican (and therefore very familiar with their surrounding and what true costs should be);

2) Spanish speakers (making it far easier to negotiate and get "non-gringo" rates);

3) Who likely live with others (thus sharing costs).

There are many towns to choose from, but the biggest city with the lowest costs and best options would be Santiago. It's in the middle of the country, and no more than a four hour bus ride from just about everything else. Lots of students and fun things to do, and no shortage of exceptionally attractive women. It would be a great "base of operations" to plan your adventures from.

Last edited:

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
1. I plan to learn Spanish in DR. Is it OK location to do such thing ?

As good as any. There are Spanish schools and plenty of opportunities to socialize.

Depends how remote you will go. As long as there is 3G/4G signal, you should be ok - which covers most of the country.

3. Living here for 35000 pesos/ month ... Doable ? My lifestyle: not drinking, not doing clubs that much, not going for hookers (that much). My only extra costs during month (except food and studio/departo rent) would be some massage from time to time...+/or maybe some support to local GF (not hooker, though)

You'll survive but will have to watch the budget carefully. Locals are able to share the costs and many live in houses that will not appeal to you.

Will be easy enough to sell, motos is a very liquid market in DR :)

Chances are good, just need to up your Spanish.

I flew in at least 10 times in the last 2 years with just a one way ticket, never had a problem. However I am always prepared to buy a refundable return ticket if they ever ask for one, right at the airport.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Btw. if people in DR earn 300-400 $ per month, how do they survive ? so with 1000 $ monthly (not travelling that much, staying mostly in one place) will give me spartan life ? hmmmm...as for place to live - ability to socialize and have peace of mind - are there such places ;-) ? could be near beach, could be some countryside, could be some city....i would like to avoid some big cities though (like Santo Domingo)

Dominicans usually move out when we get married (and some not even for that). You can find several working adults living in the same house; They share the costs of things and this makes things easier for everyone. So it doesn't matter if some of them make minimun wage.

You can also see families in which some of the members have great jobs and they all live a very comfortable lifestyle that they would not be able to have if everyone lived alone.

If you want to live on USD$1000 a month, I'd suggest you go to a small town where rent is cheap, you can walk anywhere, food is cheaper and eryone gives you fruit.

Remember also that you will need to make some adjustmets. For people who live on a budget, eating at a Restaurant, even if it's a fast food place, is a special treat and not something you do every day.

Hope this helps!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A Dominican girl will expect you to "Wine & Dine" her!
If she just wants sex, she can get that from every broke guy in her "Barrio".
If you don't have money to romance her, why would you be more desireable than a "Dominicano"?
I lived in Thailand as well.
You will be happy to know that "Dominicanas" have a VERY relaxed attitude about having casual sex, and are "Better" than Oriental girls by "Light Years"
But,....(If You'll Pardon My Pun)...They Don't COME Cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Dolores, Bronxboy,DRob,VJS,Aguaita29,Derfish,Criss Colon - thx for your valuable posts and warm welcome !

I did research also in other places ;], so far the results ;-) are ("on living for 35 000 $ RD/ month case") like 50/50. Half of the people say that I will be fine, other half says that I will struggle and needs some more...Well, that still makes me think...For Ecuador 90 % of people say that I will be there just fine 800 $ / month....But Ecuador doesn't have girls so hot like they are in DR + tickets are for 700 $ usd one way from Europe :-( So I am still thinking...The winter and terrible rainy autumn is coming anyway in my part of the world ;-) so I will have to decide and buy ticket in just few weeks :)

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, many apartments on special offer starting now - advertised in gringo mags e.g. $1200 for 6 months up front.

If you cook yourself 3 - 6 dollars a day is OK.

BBC has a free audio visual Spanish course.

e.g. mi vida loca.

BBC - Learn Spanish with free online lessons

It is possible to combine 2 countries. Spirit air has connections to other countries out of Fort Lauderdale and fares from DR to Fort Lauderdale start at $100 or so. Also Cuba has backpackers accommodation.

Your basic expense could be 8000 rent plus 6000 food plus 2000 for miscellaneous - say 16,000 a month. Of course if you use local foods cost of food can reduce. People I have known have worked just about for free plus meals to keep occupied and meet people practice Spanish etc. There are some unpaid internships available. Also voluntary work. Small enterprise is possible and there is a relaxed attitude. Giving English Lessons in exchange for Spanish ones is possible. Yes, choose a small location where it is possible to walk or if possible or buy a cheap push bike. In some apartments it is possible to grow your own salad veg on the balcony - things grow really fast in the DR.

yapask1

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Dolores, Bronxboy,DRob,VJS,Aguaita29,Derfish,Criss Colon - thx for your valuable posts and warm welcome !

I did research also in other places ;], so far the results ;-) are ("on living for 35 000 $ RD/ month case") like 50/50. Half of the people say that I will be fine, other half says that I will struggle and needs some more...Well, that still makes me think...For Ecuador 90 % of people say that I will be there just fine 800 $ / month....But Ecuador doesn't have girls so hot like they are in DR + tickets are for 700 $ usd one way from Europe :-( So I am still thinking...The winter and terrible rainy autumn is coming anyway in my part of the world ;-) so I will have to decide and buy ticket in just few weeks :)

Quito Ecuador has very pretty women. You can't compare Dominican women with women from Ecuador they are like night and day. Also check out a city named Cuenca Ecuador. A lot cheaper then DR.

IMHO you can't live off 1000USD a month in DR. The women alone will destroy your budget.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012

Ecuador has many beautiful women. It is much cheaper than the DR and much safer. You can rent a house on the beach for 300 US. You can share with surfers for 100. Whomever told you Ecuador does not have enough women they were in the gay part. Check out Peru also. Lima is a great town. You can go to Machu Pichu and other places in the mountains for cheap and it is very safe. The Dr has the best looking women in my opinion but they are much nicer and more educated in Ecuador and Peru. The DR is an acquired taste if you have never been before you may be better served going elsewhere. If you are on a budget it is definitely not the best choice.
Choose well enjoy....be safe

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
thx again...I like Black ladies...while in Ecuador many of them have Indian look....I prefer Black ones...;]

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Ok, Johnny boy, dont know where u get this information from, but dont think Ecuador is A: Cheaper or B: Safer than DR. You know you can rent an apartment as a surfer in DR aswell for like 300 us and u can share this apartment with 3 person for like 100 us (only if you dont give a #### about your housing and are here just to live, party, surf). I know people in Cabarete who do this.

I'm not saying this is the perfect lifestyle but if you are a surf dude and all you care about surfing who cares right. I agree with you that woman in dr look better, but i disagree with you that things are more expensive in DRin comparison with the countries you mentioned (have you been lately, yes i have and it got expensive). I think, even on a budget, depending on your lifestyle, but think the OP is a single person, he can have a great lifestyle even on a budget. I would recommend the OP just to come to DR and think he will do fine with his original budget if when he settled down and know his way around.!

Ecuador has many beautiful women. It is much cheaper than the DR and much safer. You can rent a house on the beach for 300 US. You can share with surfers for 100. Whomever told you Ecuador does not have enough women they were in the gay part. Check out Peru also. Lima is a great town. You can go to Machu Pichu and other places in the mountains for cheap and it is very safe. The Dr has the best looking women in my opinion but they are much nicer and more educated in Ecuador and Peru. The DR is an acquired taste if you have never been before you may be better served going elsewhere. If you are on a budget it is definitely not the best choice.
Choose well enjoy....be safe

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
But isn't Cuenca one of those high altitude places where you have to wear long sleeves as if you were in Boston?
Der FIsh

Yep. I think in summer temperatures are never higher than 24c, and in winter can go below 0c, so...

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
AND BTW, how can u say this statement, dont know where you got this info from but it's so wrong. You're just judging 2 whole countries in 1 sentence and saying that they are less inteligent than another island in the caribbean.Unless you got real figures i just think this post is just straight BullS%$#T. Just read up wikipedia and come back before you make statements like this. Not Offending you but just think it just ignorant of you posting like this. Have a good day DR friends~living in the paradise!

The Dr has the best looking women in my opinion but they are much nicer and more educated in Ecuador and Peru.