and evening polos,shirts?
the more i ask here the more ill be prepared
maby somebody could show me a website with normal clothes
there for sale
thanks

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Dungarees, collared, long sleeve shirt with cuffs rolled up to the forearm and any pointy shoes (matching belt).

or

Carry an empty bag and go shopping when you get there.

I have a friend who only wore shorts and a wife beater in the D.R. until he met a girlfriend who took him clothes shopping so he could take her out night clubbing. He came back dressed like a Chulo and we didn't stop laughing until after he'd returned home and set his Dominican ensemble on fire in his grill. Dress however YOU feel comfortable and you will be accepted for who you are.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
For the under thirty males skintight jeans seem to be popular. Out at night is slacks and jeans with a button down and shoes during the day whatever you like. Youre a gringo enjoy and be comfortable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are from Iceland, there is almost no chance you would ever really blend in, so where what makes you feel comfortable. For example, could this be your family?

icelandersicelandic_scenery_295big.jpg

Dec 26, 2011
Why blend in? I dress to be comfortable. I'm white. I'm of German descent. I blend in when I speak. I have little or no accent. But I'll never pass for anything other than what I am. Be yourself.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It is pointless me trying to blend in, I?m white (or possibly pink). At home in LT I wear shorts, Tshirts and sandals but when I have to go to the capital I wear long trousers, shirt , socks and shoes. There is never a hope in hell with me blending with all my surrounding chocolate citizens but I do feel it correct to dress similar to them in more formal surroundings.

Dec 26, 2011
Dungarees, collared, long sleeve shirt with cuffs rolled up to the forearm and any pointy shoes (matching belt).

or

Carry an empty bag and go shopping when you get there.

I have a friend who only wore shorts and a wife beater in the D.R. until he met a girlfriend who took him clothes shopping so he could take her out night clubbing. He came back dressed like a Chulo and we didn't stop laughing until after he'd returned home and set his Dominican ensemble on fire in his grill. Dress however YOU feel comfortable and you will be accepted for who you are.

Love this!

When I unpack a long-sleeve shirt, my gf asks where I'm gonna wear that. We both laugh about it. When I consider wearing shoes she tells me to wear my chancletas because she says I have beautiful feet. She always gives me a pedicure. My ex-wife did too.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Why blend in? I dress to be comfortable. I'm white. I'm of German descent. I blend in when I speak. I have little or no accent. But I'll never pass for anything other than what I am. Be yourself.

Plus, the foreigner look is probably the best single thing to have in DR.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have always been told my Dominicans that shorts on men is VERY gay unless at the beach or gym!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NKKEKbSUplk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hahahaha

May 29, 2006
Jeans and either a polo, light weight button down shirts. Shorts are becoming more popular among Dominicans but wear long pants if you are going out for dinner or to a concert or club. Good walking shoes are a plus and a pair of dress shoes for going out at night. Foreigners can usually get away with wearing khaki cargo shorts, deck shoes and polo shirts during the day. I'd avoid bringing anything that needs ironing.

What not to wear: Flashy Hawaiian shirts, sandals, flip flops, sports wear, work shoes such as Timberlands, Speedo type swimwear, basketball shoes or sneakers that are not either black or neutral colored.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Why do you want to dress Dominican, do you want to look like a cheap pimp?

Sub 20,25's lots of tin jewellery, glittery gay t-shirts, Nike Jordan (fakes)
Haitians XXXL t-shirts and massive jeans with salvaged shoes.

25-40 this is a confusing time for a Dominican guy entering manhood (late starters)and this is where the decisions go even more wrong. Plastic leather crocodile shoes, with stone washed bleached jeans, the hair is grown slightly longer at this age but still the knowledge to know what to do with it is not there and so often a trilby is used as cover. A shirt from a 'village people' tribute band, occasionally with christmas cracker cuff links.
Haitians, this age group of Haitians seem to be able to look like they are always either going to or coming from work, which is odd as they often live where they work.

35-55 seem to be the 'I don't give a $hit' years where the hand me downs from dead relatives twice their size seem to come down the line, this can lead to very interesting styles of varying success, but at this time the brugal is more important than the clothes.
Haitians around this age seem to go through eye troubles when they can't quite see where the bottom of their trousers ends and the ankle begins, odd crocs and a Chaka Khan t-shirt and a timberland check shirt accompany this style well.

55+ seems to be the time when all men buy forever trousers, a single pair of trousers that will see them through to the grave. A few shirts from the 20's has been saved for this time and goes well with washed out forever trousers, the trilby makes a return appearance and occasionally a gold watch or ring finds its way into his hands, somehow.
Haitian men seem to disintegrate at 55-60, no one knows what happens to them, some say it is voodoo tax, some say they are just so worn out by that age they Litterally turn to dust and blow away.

So if you want to dress to fit in then cool, go for it. But you're much better off just dressing how you dress now, but less warm. Don't abandon your unique identity just because the people around you have none. Be your own person, your own style, you will fit in more like that than you will trying to style out like a Dom.