Arsenic in Rice - Yikes!

Dec 26, 2011
He's got a good thing going with that show. A little sensationalism keeps it fresh. Not along ago, he was warning of the mass-poisoning of children with the trace amounts of arsenic in apple juice.

Sunlight, which makes our existence possible, is also deadly. That's life on earth.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
It is good that people like DR Oz bring this news to the forefront or it will get lost in the media until people die. We get enough GMO and other bad foods that they don't and wont let you know about

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rice was nice, that was what they used to say

And fruits and vegetables have more arsenic in them than rice as stated in the report:

Because the rice plant is grown in water-flooded conditions, it is much more effectively exposed to arsenic from soil or water. Though this new analysis is disconcerting, a 2009-10 study from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimated that ?rice contributes 17% of dietary exposure to inorganic arsenic, which would put it in third place, behind fruits and fruit juices at 18% and vegetables at 24%.?

Pichardo posted about rice having arsenic in a report from the EPA. As if Dominican grown rice is any better.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
It was proved that if you take some arsenic with small dose, your immune system develops an anti poison in the arsenic.
Needs to know the ancient history(old story) of the French people of France to understand(include) that this truth is real.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Pichardo do not know about what he speaks.
Pichardo, should informed about the subject about which he(it) speak before frightening people.
Several poisons are in our food but we have an immune system for combattres.
Good reflection Pichardo.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo, should informed about the subject about which he(it) speak before frightening people.

The arsenic levels in rice are higher in brown and unbleached rice. The DR is a primary consumer of white rice, brown rice is at the very bottom of the scale here! Also a study conducted here, found relative very, very insignificant levels of arsenic in our rice yields.

So, pretty much I know what I'm talking about...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, all the Dominicans I know wash their rice thoroughly before cooking, which is what the FDA is recommending.

Most big-brand rices sold in the USA specifically say NOT to rinse/wash before cooking, as will wash away some vitamins. I suppose their packaging will be revised after this study.

And it was not just Dr. Oz - Consumer's Report and FDA concur.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
What is the cancer stats for DR?

Since rice is the staple consumed by most Dominicans, if the cancer rate is low, it would be safe to assume DR rice is safe.

If it is high, rice might be a culprit.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Pichardo, if the level of arsenic is very very high as you say.
Say to me how much death(dead man) further to this absortion of rice???

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Pichardo, I remember that when I lived to Cabarete all said to me does not drink the tap water.
If you wants to drink some water buy a bottle of water.

For your information, I have been 9 years old to Cabarete and, I have never bought a bottle of water.

I rely on my immune system.

Good reflection.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It was proved that if you take some arsenic with small dose, your immune system develops an anti poison in the arsenic.
Needs to know the ancient history(old story) of the French people of France to understand(include) that this truth is real.

That is NOT the issue. Arsenic is a CLASS 1 Carcinogen. That is the issue.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Nonsense. You are writing nonsense.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pichardo, I remember that when I lived to Cabarete all said to me does not drink the tap water.
If you wants to drink some water buy a bottle of water.

For your information, I have been 9 years old to Cabarete and, I have never bought a bottle of water.

I rely on my immune system.

Good reflection.

Lucky you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"The Sky Is Falling, The Sky Is Falling"!

We will all be long dead before the arsenic in food kills us!
No point in eating "White Rice" anyway.
It has almost no nutritional value.
I got too many real problems to concern me to get my "Panties in a knot" about nonsense.
CCCCC

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Windeguy.
For your information the arsenic is not carcinogenic, it is a mortal poison.

If you have too much arsenic in your system, kept silent is not going to set a Cancer.
You are going to die because c, is a mortal poison.
And if you takes some arsenic in small quantity, your immune system goes press an anti-poison to the arsenic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windeguy.
For your information the arsenic is not carcinogenic, it is a mortal poison.

If you have too much arsenic in your system, kept silent is not going to set a Cancer.
You are going to die because c, is a mortal poison.
And if you takes some arsenic in small quantity, your immune system goes press an anti-poison to the arsenic.

For your information, Arsenic is INDEED a CLASS 1 Carcinogen. Please see and I quote:

Arsenic in rice : a recipe for nutrient loss | The University of Aberdeen

Arsenic in rice : a recipe for nutrient loss

Uptake of arsenic by rice plants could be stifling crucial micronutrients such as selenium in rice grains, according to new research published in Environmental Science and Technology EST).

The findings are bad news for people in Asia, whose diet is primarily rice, since selenium helps cleanse toxic arsenic from the body.
But a second new ES&T study demonstrates the potential for breeding rice cultivars that shun the arsenic commonly found in flooded paddies.
The pair of linked studies is capped by the first measurements of arsenic volatilization from soil, demonstrating the benefits of an across-the-board approach to cutting arsenic exposure, says Enzo Lombi, a biogeochemist at University of South Australia.
Exposure to arsenic, a class 1 carcinogen for which there is no safe dose, affects hundreds of millions of people worldwide, says Dave Polya, an environmental geochemist at the University of Manchester.
----

Drinking that local water isn't doing you any good.

Dec 26, 2011
Tracy Punshon, PhD, a research assistant professor at Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H., has X-rayed rice grains to see where they store arsenic.
She found that arsenic concentrates in the part of the grain called the germ, which is removed to make white rice. That means brown rice has higher concentrations of arsenic that white rice.
Studies by Scottish researchers have found higher levels of arsenic in rice grown in the U.S. than in basmati or jasmine rice from Thailand or India.
The highest levels of arsenic in U.S.-grown rice came from Southern states. The lowest levels were detected in rice grown in California.
Seafood also has high levels of arsenic, though most experts believe the form of arsenic in seafood to be nontoxic. Calcium supplements made from seafood may also contain high amounts of arsenic.

Arsenic in Food: FAQ

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Poisons, it is the homeopathic principle of remedies.

The principle, it is to give to your body a poison or a virus in small quantity so that your immune system develops an anti poison or an anti virus.

If to disinfect you your body, your immune system will never can developed by antibodies.
That is why, in 2012 so many people are allergic to all which moves.
People do not give the luck(chance) to the immune system to develop anti-allergies.