Cable options?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
What exactly are the options, how many providers are there to choose from and who provide most English speaking channels, best service with least issues etc etc. I appreciate this might vary but I'd be interested to know what you pay for, what you get, what the service is like, how long to get installed, up and running and anything else.
Also I would maybe like TV in the lounge, and the bedroom (haven't decided as I need to check out the price of TVs). Will I be able to run these through each other or will that weaken the stream a lot, do I need two boxes or are there wireless routers for the TVs? I don't know what to expect at all, will they try to charge me for two installations or not? I appreciate these are questions for the company, but I like to prepare with outside feedback so I know what I can push and when I'm doing alright with what they're offering.

Thankyou,

Art

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Where in the DR are you located? Some places have more options than others.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
By the description you gave it sounds like you might be better off with a sat dish, such as, SKY Sat. I have it in LT and get many English speaking channels and a good choice of sports programming.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a dish too....

As for cable - I feel Claro is not good. Not enough English channels.
I had them and switched to the satellite.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Satellite is Good for You

I have a dish too....
As for cable - I feel Claro is not good. Not enough English channels.
(...) and switched to the satellite.

I think a satellite dish can get you more channels for less money... FTA that is... :pirate:

bothdishes2.jpg

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Internet is good for TV now.

I use strong VPN for UK TV. You can also get netflix, sky on internet, channels through Watch live TV channels broadcasting on the Internet. many other options without a dish. Through iPlayer you can watch or record on laptop past programs. netflix ; different countries selections is a available through vpn for one subscription.

Also look into Claro internet plus TV packages.

yapask1

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I pi$$ed around for a while a couple of years ago to run my lap top straight onto my TV to watch DVD's through and wasn't able to, if that is now possible and with todays streaming access and you're not a surf junky then that might be an option, maybe?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I usually do not listen to music on TV.
But you are right, I have about 40 channels of Sirius/XM.
DISH Music - Satellite Music Channel Programming

Just checked them out and there are some really good ones. :bunny:
{I am into oldies...50's, 60's, 70's.}

Well, I am in DR... :confused: ;)

donP

There is a whole Elvis channel too if you like.
Try the R&B Soul station - Motown stuff there... SoulTown , I think

What people do is buy the system in the US and then install it in RD - it doesn't seem to affect things - DISH doesn't know where are, apparently.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dirt Cheap

There is a whole Elvis channel too if you like.
Try the R&B Soul station - Motown stuff there... SoulTown , I think

Yes, there are several "artist-dedicated channels".
I was just listening to "The Joint" (Channel # 6042 - Reggae Music) and "E-Street Radio" (Channel # 6020 - Bruce Springsteen). :bunny:

What people do is buy the system in the US and then install it in RD - it doesn't seem to affect things - DISH doesn't know where are, apparently.

FTA works as well.
Dirt cheap.

donP