What do you think about barahona

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The "Deep South" (Sur Profundo) is impressive. I do not know all of it, but what I have seen makes me want to go back.

However, it is the poorest region of the country, certainly the most "backward" as far as access to "things" goes. But the people, at least the ones I know, are super great and very friendly. Most of the ex-pats that live there are special, also. They have an entrepreneur spirit equal to none.

Would I live there ? No, for me it lacks a few things, and remember I have long, deep roots in the Cibao. But it would welcome some nice people.

HB

Last edited:

juant

May 9, 2012
Hi everyone, what do U think about the barahona region?
:)

I stayed there one time to meet a girl that I was writing to through a website. She hooked me up with a nice hotel room which was steps to the beach. The hotel, pool and the beach was nice but the city of Barahona is boring. Nothing to do around the city. Once you leave the hotel it gets crowded around the streets.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And for one American entrepreneur it got really expensive last weekend:

Desconocidos robaron m?s de 20 millones de pesos, prendas de oro y diamantes y otras pertenencias, en el Hotel Costa Larimar, de esta ciudad. El hecho est? siendo investigado por la Polic?a, pero hasta el momento se desconoce si alguna persona ha sido apresada con relaci?n al robo.

De acuerdo a los informes, para cometer el robo los cacos destruyeron dos ventanas en el primer piso del edificio, una de cristal y otra de madera, por donde cargaron con la caja fuerte.

El estadounidense Joseph Bernard Jordan, propietario del hotel, dijo que caja fuerte conten?a RD$450 mil en efectivo, anillos de oro y de diamantes, t?tulos de propiedades diversas y otras pertenencias.

El Hotel Costa Larimar est? ubicado en la avenida Enriquillo en la parte baja de la poblaci?n.

For those that are not familiar with Spanish: This was the theft of a safe from a hotel in Barahona with perhaps (according to the owner) RD$20,000,000 in it!! Thieves broke through two windows to get to the safe...Interesting, huh???

HB

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I have been in the Barahona area for 2 years, I LOVE it here!!! I lived 6 months in a tiny campo 20 minutes outside the "big city" of Barahona. I truly loved it, and was safe.. My kids were safe... They were gone from morning till night.. (They had family in that town as my first husband was from there).. It was an awesome experience for all.. I moved into Barahona because I needed my freedom, and my job was there. And I loved living there in Barahona, but it is NOT a safe place at all. To live in Barahona for ANY expat is NOT safe. I have a good friend whos been here 18 years and never had a problem but was robbed at gunpoint last year. I have friends that came to visit me and were robbed. Its NOT safe. I now live 1 hour from the big city in Enriquillio. It's VERY safe here. I live right on the beach, and I love it. It's very cheap, the people are awesome, and the weather is to die for. We get rain EVERY day, but 20-30 minutes EVERYNIGHT, that's it!! My kids have never had to stay in the house because of bad weather (except the one day we had the hurricane). The weather is always gorgeous. There is NOTHING in Barahona, is true. I can buy my necesities here, but entertainment is few and far between. The nightlife is low key, but enough for me when I want it. If you have specific questions, I can answer you. I pay 6k for my house but it's 2 levels, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, and right on the beach. I had the same in Barahona but I paid 13k. Nobody should live in Barahona is my recommendation. Another gorgeous place to live which is SAFER than Barahona is a little further.. Pedernales.. 24 hour lights, water, and is a clean small city. But then you are like 5 hours from Santo Domingo. But REAL close to the most gorgeous beach on the island bahai de las aguillas.

By the way.. Hotel Larimar has a LOT of problems.... might be inside corruption, or the fact they are right in Barahona.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
By the way.. Hotel Larimar has a LOT of problems.... might be inside corruption, or the fact they are right in Barahona.
We've been staying there for years with few problems that went unresolved.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
We've been staying there for years with few problems that went unresolved.

There are better hotels.. Hotel El Quemaito is Barahona's best kept secret.. I was shocked at the price and really liked it there.. ESPECIALLY families.. I have 4 kids.. There are rooms there that fit my whole family.. And it's CHEAP.. I went with my 3 girls and my husband and paid 1800 a night.. Nice pool, quiet atmosphere and right on the beach.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
OP what are you looking for? I can help you find a place to live if you'd like.. Of course there are VERY few (if any?) on the web.. most is by mouth.. are you in the country right now?

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
i own 3 building lots 10 minutes outside Barahuco, directly at the beach. Located 8 meters above sealevel. title and deslinde done. Just let me know.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I am a huge advocate for the Barahona Region and truly believe it is the most beautiful section of the Dominican Republic. Much of it is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve!

The theft at Hotel Larimar was very unfortunate and there are sporadic cases of theft in the area. As already mentioned, this is the poorest region of the Dominican Republic but they will have to prepare themselves for the tourists the region is hoping will come.

Despite what I wrote, I could not recommend visiting the deep south more. You will come away with an entirely different outlook on the Dominican Republic as someone who simply stayed in an all-inclusive.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are better hotels.. Hotel El Quemaito is Barahona's best kept secret.. I was shocked at the price and really liked it there.. ESPECIALLY families.. I have 4 kids.. There are rooms there that fit my whole family.. And it's CHEAP.. I went with my 3 girls and my husband and paid 1800 a night.. Nice pool, quiet atmosphere and right on the beach.
We bring 6-10 people, tour guests, with us several times a year and have for years.

Cheap is not our goal.

Once again, opinions vary...

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I found Barahona to be an interesting and authentic Dominican town, and I am happy to have had that experience. I stayed stay at the Hotel Barahona, and, if I go there again, I will not stay there. As an American, and an African-American, I clearly stuck out and labeled 'gringo'. But, the market place in Barahona and the Haitian influence there is fascinating. And, it is a good central point for exploring the SW of the DR. Be careful and enjoy.

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
Econom?a y Negocios 27 Septiembre 2012​
0 Comentarios​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Tama?o texto

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
DESARROLLO
El Sur celebra anuncios sobre inversiones

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Ircania V?squez
Santo Domingo
El anuncio de la construcci?n de un hotel en Barahona por la firma brit?nica Tranquility Resorts ha generado entusiasmos el el sector tur?stico de la zona por el impulso que ese proyecto podr?a dar al desarrollo del turismo en la regi?n sur del pa?s.
El vicepresidente del Cl?stes Tur?stico de Barahona, Pilibio Schiffino, expres? que esa inversi?n extranjera es un indicio del potencial de Barahona como destino tur?stico.
“Hab?amos advertido que el inicio de las operaciones de los vuelos directos desde Santo Domingo y Punta Cana a Barahona motivar?a las inversiones en el turismo de la zona por el flujo de visitante que podr?an desde esos destinos, Asimismo, el presidente de la Bolsa Ecotur?stica Hispaniola (Behsa), Eduardo D?az Franjul, dijo que la construcci?n de un nuevo hotel en la regi?n es una se?al positiva sobre el turismo en de Barahona.
Dijo que el tipo de turismo que ha anunciado la firma bit?nica que implementar? en la provincia, alejado del modelo todo incluido y orientado hacia el ecoturismo de lujo, es lo que se necesita en ese destino porque genera mayor consumo e integraci?n con la comunidad, tomando en cuenta que se trata de la zona m?s deprimida del pa?s.
Sin embargo, el dirigente de la Behsa advirti? a los ministerios de Turismo y Medioambiente que ofrezcan las facilidades necesarias para que los inversionistas extranjeros consigan los permisos correspondientes.
Dijo que en otras ocaciones se han anunciado, e incluso iniciado, proyectos de ese tipo y no se ha materialiado por las dificultades para la concesi?n de los permisos.
El socio gerente de la compa??a inversionista, Paul Williams, dijo que el hotel tendr? entre 30 y 40 habitaciones y alrededor 140 villas, cuyos propietarios podr?n rentarlas para ser utilizadas como parte del hotel. Dijo que la empresa busca atraer grupos hoteleros de alto nivel interesados en invertir en proyectos ecol?gicos en la zona.
“Es una zona hermosa de Rep?blica Dominicana que a?n no ha sido desarrollada hasta el momento, por lo que este proyecto es un gran reto”, expres? el empresario brit?nico.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i own 3 building lots 10 minutes outside Barahuco, directly at the beach. Located 8 meters above sealevel. title and deslinde done. Just let me know.

I spent a year in Bahoruco one week. ;) Beautiful area all around, but really very low on amenities - restauraunts, grocery stores, internet access, about 6 hours of electric per day, etc. The rocky vs sandy beaches there aren't my thing, but a great area and base for exploration. saw one other obvious foreigner all week. thank goodness it was the week of patronales with something to do at night. overall glad I had the experience.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
With much regret, I am looking for someone to take over my lease.. I have 4 months left, and really need to move to the capital because my husband has been transferred to the capital.. Its a gorgeous place ON the beach.. (Ok, you open your door, cross the street, and you are ON the beach). It's located in Enriquillio, VERY close to Los Patos. Not all that far from Bahai de las Aguillas.. I love it here!!! We are one hour from Barahona, and Enriquillio is VERY safe.. There are very few houses found to rent in this town, so I'm sure it will go quickly, but I just HATE to have to do this.. :( I love it here.. Love going to sleep to the crash of the waves and waking up to it.

Jen