Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think about barahona

Hi everyone, what do U think about the barahona region?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it down in the South west. Not Touristy at all but very nice areas to visit.

Post Thanks / Like

The "Deep South" (Sur Profundo) is impressive. I do not know all of it, but what I have seen makes me want to go back.

However, it is the poorest region of the country, certainly the most "backward" as far as access to "things" goes. But the people, at least the ones I know, are super great and very friendly. Most of the ex-pats that live there are special, also. They have an entrepreneur spirit equal to none.

Would I live there ? No, for me it lacks a few things, and remember I have long, deep roots in the Cibao. But it would welcome some nice people.

HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-24-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Moderator DR1.com

4. Likes badpiece33 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rep Dom View Post
    Hi everyone, what do U think about the barahona region?
    I stayed there one time to meet a girl that I was writing to through a website. She hooked me up with a nice hotel room which was steps to the beach. The hotel, pool and the beach was nice but the city of Barahona is boring. Nothing to do around the city. Once you leave the hotel it gets crowded around the streets.

Post Thanks / Like

And for one American entrepreneur it got really expensive last weekend:

Desconocidos robaron más de 20 millones de pesos, prendas de oro y diamantes y otras pertenencias, en el Hotel Costa Larimar, de esta ciudad. El hecho está siendo investigado por la Policía, pero hasta el momento se desconoce si alguna persona ha sido apresada con relación al robo.

De acuerdo a los informes, para cometer el robo los cacos destruyeron dos ventanas en el primer piso del edificio, una de cristal y otra de madera, por donde cargaron con la caja fuerte.

El estadounidense Joseph Bernard Jordan, propietario del hotel, dijo que caja fuerte contenía RD$450 mil en efectivo, anillos de oro y de diamantes, títulos de propiedades diversas y otras pertenencias.

El Hotel Costa Larimar está ubicado en la avenida Enriquillo en la parte baja de la población.

For those that are not familiar with Spanish: This was the theft of a safe from a hotel in Barahona with perhaps (according to the owner) RD$20,000,000 in it!! Thieves broke through two windows to get to the safe...Interesting, huh???

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ill-Fated Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    ... Hotel Costa Larimar...Interesting, huh???
    Yes, interesting and strange...

But well, this hotel might just be a bit ill-fated.

Encuentran hombre ahogado en piscina del hotel Costa Larimar en Barahona

Conductor pierde el control y choca con la entra del hotel Costa Larimar : Cuatriboliao.Net

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been in the Barahona area for 2 years, I LOVE it here!!! I lived 6 months in a tiny campo 20 minutes outside the "big city" of Barahona. I truly loved it, and was safe.. My kids were safe... They were gone from morning till night.. (They had family in that town as my first husband was from there).. It was an awesome experience for all.. I moved into Barahona because I needed my freedom, and my job was there. And I loved living there in Barahona, but it is NOT a safe place at all. To live in Barahona for ANY expat is NOT safe. I have a good friend whos been here 18 years and never had a problem but was robbed at gunpoint last year. I have friends that came to visit me and were robbed. Its NOT safe. I now live 1 hour from the big city in Enriquillio. It's VERY safe here. I live right on the beach, and I love it. It's very cheap, the people are awesome, and the weather is to die for. We get rain EVERY day, but 20-30 minutes EVERYNIGHT, that's it!! My kids have never had to stay in the house because of bad weather (except the one day we had the hurricane). The weather is always gorgeous. There is NOTHING in Barahona, is true. I can buy my necesities here, but entertainment is few and far between. The nightlife is low key, but enough for me when I want it. If you have specific questions, I can answer you. I pay 6k for my house but it's 2 levels, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, and right on the beach. I had the same in Barahona but I paid 13k. Nobody should live in Barahona is my recommendation. Another gorgeous place to live which is SAFER than Barahona is a little further.. Pedernales.. 24 hour lights, water, and is a clean small city. But then you are like 5 hours from Santo Domingo. But REAL close to the most gorgeous beach on the island bahai de las aguillas.

By the way.. Hotel Larimar has a LOT of problems.... might be inside corruption, or the fact they are right in Barahona.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

is there any real estate website about barahona area?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rep Dom View Post

is there any real estate website about barahona area?
    Barahona real estate: villa, homes and land for sale

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Too far away from anything but pretty.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast