Cigars

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A friend has asked me for cigars and gave me a list.
I have no clue where to look for them and wonder if somebody here can help me..

I need any or all of these:
Macanudo Maduros
Artero Fuentes opus opus x (this is his dream request)
H. Upman Corona Major Tubo

Any ideas where and how much?
Cabrera seems a bit scant on luxury items, but I'll be in Sos/Cab later in the week.

If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

WW

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Did he gave you a budget as well?

The sticks you mentioned aren't cheap.

The Arture Fuentes Opus X are available in Cafe Cubano at Pedro Clisante in Sosua. Maybe the others are too.

I have the impression the proprietor sell honest cigars at honest prices... expensive sticks will be sold at expensive prices

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Lemme see - if I remember correctly the Fuentes were 900 or 1,100 a piece depending on ring size, 10 in a box = 9,000 - 11,100 a box; 230 - 280 a box. I don't know if he will sell you the entire box though..

The Macanudos I didn't look at, sorry.

This was in January 2012, so things might have changed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He was hoping to get them for less than $200 for the box - guess not.

Can I quote those prices to him? Your memory is right - ~1000DRP per cigar?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Where does your friend live, and where does he want you to buy the cigars?
Branded cigars produced, and sold here in the DR are not a bargain!
Those "Opus Opus" are VERY expensive (MORE than $20 US and "UP" a "stick"!)
I live here in the DR, and buy ALL my cigars "On Line" from the USA, then have them shipped here from Miami by "EPS", MUCH CHEAPER than buying them here!
And the "on Line" selection is thousands of different cigars, including all those your friend wants!
I smoke about 6 cigars a day.:smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke: Or MORE :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:!!!
Tell your friend to check out "Cigarbid.com".
That's where I buy ALL my cigars.
It is much much cheaper than buying here!
It is also a lot of fun for an "Old Fart" like me to bid, and win,or even loose!
Cigarbid, is the auction site of "CigarsInternational.com".
"CI" has 30 million cigars in their humidity controlled warehouses.
A "Leon Jimenez" that costs 200 pesos ($5.00) at "Supermercado National" in "Arroyo Hondo",, I get from the USA, including shipping costs to me here in SD for 80 pesos ($2.00) so I can spend $10.00 a day on cigars, NOT $50.00!
William, you should "PM", "Hillbilly" for all cigar questions, he is DR1's resident Dominican Cigar Expert!
I just "THINK" I am !
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's helpful ,,, thanks.... I'm clueless in many areas - this one especially.
When the guy heard i was coming here this week he jumped me.... he's been cheated herer before - bought on the beach.

I'll pass the link along,

You'll be up to 8 daily after you win Yappy's/SpiceGirl's cooking contest and lower those food bills

Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a Pauper....
I have three square dinners a day

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Merengue Dutchie: He has them shipped to EPS in Miami!! They ship them here.

I am surprised that DavidZ, another bidder on cigars has not posted. CCCCCC is quite right about buying on line.

The Opus cigars are exported and then brought back in, paying taxes of over 30%..so they are retail plus a huge markup here.

There are factory prices but not on those cigars....

Blessings folks..

HB

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Is there a duty on cigars sent to Canada. If so how much. Asking because i think that is where WWs friend is at.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats right , Yumbo.. he's Cdn and therefore can't do the online bidding, I suspect.

Looks like I'll be doing it Cafe Cubano for him.

Good advice from people, thanks very much to you all

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
how do you guys know you're getting the REAL thing??? I was looking at some very interesting info some months ago that seems to suggest that there are lots and lots of fakes - some having very authentic looking (just slightly different) bands.

I hate buying things that I have no knowledge of, (figuring that I'm going to get ripped off), and I know nothing about cigars -- but would like to buy some good cigars for my son.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I don't know about the veracity of the website form personal experience but would image they are very strict in enforcing their reputable wares. Fakes would get spotted quickly and the cigar community would know it quickly as well.

Re Brian in Sosua, I cannot give guarantees on anything he sells, since I am not him. However, the cigars I am familiar with looked and smoked the part when he sold me what I wanted. He also sold Opus X cigars, of which he had two ring gauges at the time.

Generally speaking there are a lot of fakes around in many, many shops.. so caveat emptor always applies

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I must give you one "Caviot" about shipping the cigars to the DR. If the order is OVER $200 US, the DR Customs WILL charge you a HUGE fee. About %30. If your order is UNDER $200 US, you pay no taxes here.
That %30 on Dominican cigars shipped "back here" will not be charged.
Not only that, but when I am in Boston, I shipped large boxes with humidors filled with hundreds of cigars,and paid no taxes on anything.
Time to "Light Up" #2 of the day.
A nice Honduran "Maduro!
"HB", I'm waiting for your visit!!!!! :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
PS, don't order ANY butane lighters, or fuel.
I had to have the lighters removed by EPS before shipping.:eek:gre:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks again, all this info saved me my errand.

My friend, Cdn, has a sister in Michigan..... he's made in the shade, and no trabajo for me -- whew!!
Cigarbid will be his friend from now on.

He was flabbergasted bt HB's call on the Opus being more here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Almost all Dominican Cigars are much more here!
Due to Dominican taxes, and the Dominican business practices of "Charge A High Price", and you will therefore make more money!
They would rather make $10 once, than $2 twenty times.
Also, when sales are low, they increase their prices.
Welcome to "Alicia In Wonderland"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
i have cuban cigars but not the authentic cohibas price might right for average joe

Almost all Dominican Cigars are much more here!
Due to Dominican taxes, and the Dominican business practices of "Charge A High Price", and you will therefore make more money!
They would rather make $10 once, than $2 twenty times.
Also, when sales are low, they increase their prices.
Welcome to "Alicia In Wonderland"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

hi i have two boxes of authentic cuban tobacco and cigaras but they are not authentic cohibas and Maduras BLack ox if anyone is interested in box of cuban tobacco cigars of 25 in wooden box and a small black box of maduros . any questions hillbilly knows the story on them so pm for prices if looking for decent cuban cigarsNOT NUMERO 1

JDM

Sep 25, 2005
When I'm in the DR, most all groceries sell cigars in a white package. It says El Triunfador distributed by Pichardo. The white bag of 25 sells for about 150 pesos. They are wonderful. Great tobacco flavor. Your friend would love these for informal occasions.
Does anyone know if these are available anywhere in the US.? Thanks