No More Bar Stools On Sidewalk In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]By a regulation of the tourist police (POLITUR) it is now prohibited for bar and restaurant owners to put their bar stools and tables on the sidewalk in front of their bar. For El Flow and the Rumba bar this means that the cozy bar stools and tables have to be moved inside the bar. For El Flow, this regulation is disastrous. Although the owner of the bar has shortened the bar to create more room for the people inside, it is still not spacious enough. Previously you could sit outside and watch the people walk by, that is not possible anymore. For the Rumba bar the problem is not that big. There is still plenty of room in the bar and a clear view of the street so it is still a pleasant location to stay.[/h]

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
What is the obsession with keeping people and things off the street in Sosua. Last year it was women alone, then motos, then parking issues, now people on seats. What exactly does this mayor not understand about controlling a red light district? The more people sat on the street the less people inside, the less people inside the less cramped, the less stress and so less problems. It seems counter productive. Is there not a bar on the corner also that has seats outside, also Britania bar? Is there not also a bar restaurant place that is actually based outside further up by Campo Bar ( if that's even still there). What exactly are they trying to create in Sosua, a red light district disguised as a ghost town:disappoin I was under the impression Sosua was doing really well these days, I haven't seen or heard of any drama for ages, well other than psychos setting fire to motos which on the grand scale is tame in comparrisson to where you were a few years ago.

whats the story sosuans?:surprised

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
More incorrect information from our great Sosua News. As per the new "rule" that was created at the Pedro Clisante meeting a few weeks ago, you can have tables out if you serve food. If you are bar with no food, you cannot have tables. This should last about one month. Also no more motos to be parked on the sidewalks. Now there is barely any parking for vehicles on PC. You can still drive your moto with no helmet going against traffic...no danger doing that....but those table and chairs are dangerous.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
The story I heard was that this "sidewalk ban" was initiated by Willy, the Vice-Mayor of Sosua. The theory is that it will give his newly remodeled bar (the old "el Cultivo") a competative advantage as they now have more seats in his bar that overlook the street than either el Flow or Rombas.

Like most new "regulations" in Sosua, I would be surprised if the enforcement of this sidewalk ban lasts very long.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Remember last year when every bar letting hookers in was "forced" to put up walls etc. Didn't last that long.....
Solution: Make Pedro Clisant a "Pedestrian street after 7 PM. No hookers on the streets before 10 PM. Get rid of the moto conchos. etc. Works well on Duarte in Boca chica, at least last year when I was there. We have a clueless group in city hall.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
you must have missed the shooting a few weeks back...it seems that this has been the cause of the latest wave of clampdowns.
But, as another poster has said, it will probably only last a month at most so no need to worry :)

I'll be surprised if this one doesn't last. Flow is the business most affected, which I think was probably the intent.

I'm one that believes that as long as the vice mayor of Sosua has 2 bars, neither of which has tables on the sidewalk, that this regulation will stay in effect.

People who want to drink and womanize are not harmed by this. There are more than enough choices without drinking on the sidewalk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand this. ilana is dead bent on banishing putas from sosua and making it a family destination. i say screw that, pun intended. sosua already has a reputation, why not use it to its advantage and brand it as an adults only place? not necessarily in whore mongering way, just kidless holidays for all those who enjoy peace, rest an relaxation.
close pedro clisante altogether and make it a pedestrian only boulevard with car access only for unloading merchandise before noon. then no vehicles at all.

juant

May 9, 2012
The story I heard was that this "sidewalk ban" was initiated by Willy, the Vice-Mayor of Sosua. The theory is that it will give his newly remodeled bar (the old "el Cultivo") a competative advantage as they now have more seats in his bar that overlook the street than either el Flow or Rombas.

Like most new "regulations" in Sosua, I would be surprised if the enforcement of this sidewalk ban lasts very long.
Thanks for the info Timotero. I had a feeling it had to do with Willy and also Iliana. She was the one behind removing all the hookers from the streets of Sosua at all times of the day.

juant

May 9, 2012
I'll be surprised if this one doesn't last. Flow is the business most affected, which I think was probably the intent.

I'm one that believes that as long as the vice mayor of Sosua has 2 bars, neither of which has tables on the sidewalk, that this regulation will stay in effect.

People who want to drink and womanize are not harmed by this. There are more than enough choices without drinking on the sidewalk.
I agree with you Ken. El Flow will be affected the most out of all the bars, it is also a small place to hang out and drink. A friend of mine is in Sosua right now and told me that the bar that use to be Sosua life has the Presidente beers real cheap and it is selling like hot cakes.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Bars yes. Restaurants no. Stupid to punish the restaurant owners. How will a place like Cubana last with 1/2 their tables gone. Why are the business owners putting up with this sh!t? El Flow and Rumba suck. Two places making Sosua look bad.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Bars yes. Restaurants no. Stupid to punish the restaurant owners. How will a place like Cubana last with 1/2 their tables gone. Why are the business owners putting up with this sh!t? El Flow and Rumba suck. Two places making Sosua look bad.

Cafe Cubano serves food so they are allowed tables. It doesn't not affect restaurants.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes - pedestrianise it or at least stop the moto conchos driving at 100mph the wrong way. I find them slightly more dangerous than a table on the pavement.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
i do not understand this. ilana is dead bent on banishing putas from sosua and making it a family destination. i say screw that, pun intended. sosua already has a reputation, why not use it to its advantage and brand it as an adults only place? not necessarily in whore mongering way, just kidless holidays for all those who enjoy peace, rest an relaxation.
close pedro clisante altogether and make it a pedestrian only boulevard with car access only for unloading merchandise before noon. then no vehicles at all.

You are contradicting yourself. How can you have a hookerfree Pedro Clisante during the day, if you have to unload the merchandise before noon??? You do not expect them to walk, do you??? lol

BelgianK

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If restaruants can have stools and tables, all El Flow needs to do is start selling a limited menu of food. Solved.