Resisdencia

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
I want to know if anybody has applied for the residencia, after getting the new required Visa?
I got the Visa now and according to the papers I will not need any additional document. I only need to go to the office and apply for the residencia. Then I need to take the medical exam. That should it be!
Can someone confirm that?

DeadHandStraight

Jun 10, 2012
... and present your documents (ORIGINALS) if you?re up to the task plus a bunch of copies of those documents which you had initially submitted to the foreign Dominican Consulate in your jurisdiction in order to obtain your 60-day period visa for completion. Once that is all good Immigration will set up an appointment for your medical exam. Good luck!

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Finally I was there in SD in the office and it took from 8:30 till 3 PM.
I was told that I can not apply for ther permanent residencia. All need to apply first for the 1 year residencia, as well if you are married with a DR person.
I think I have seen several posts in the web that they got right away the permanent residencia.
Any feedback? Any suggestion?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Suggest you use the search feature since there are many threads on the same subject.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Unfortunately the search functions brings all posts up but not the one which are related to the search words.
So this hint is not a help at all.
Thank you

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OK", here is your advice.
This is the DR, live with it!
You will NEVER get the same information twice from any government official, even the SAME government official!
If you plan to live here, get used to it!
In the DR, "It IS, What It IS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They got their job not because of "WHAT THEY KNOW", but because of "Who They KNOW"!!!
Just go with the flow!
You WILL NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING!
If you get "PI$$ED" or become frustrated in front of them, the Dominican will give you even less sevice, if that is possible.
Don't ask "US", we don't know what will happen in your case.
We just tell you what happened in OUR CASE, which will certainly be different from your experience.
"Got THAT"??????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
It seems that not I'm the frustrated one, isn't it?
:)

Thank you for the feedback and let's see what will be the final result.
I was only looking for some feedback if somebody got the permanent residencia with the first submission and how he has done this. But as you say I can not change it if they say no that's not possible.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
what I remeber from the postings of some while back about getting residencia due marriage to a Dominican Spouse, been that you need to be married to the spouse for a certain timeperiod, but I don't remember the mentioned Time Period of how long to be married.
if you married her/him yesterday does not entitle to any shortcut, just follow the procedures as described which are changing by the hour as described.

and YES!!!

the "SEarch Function"" on DR Sucks Big Time,
it finds you EVERYTHING but not the stuff you put into the searchbox,
but that again is Usual/has always been that way.

btw,
if you are only entitled to get the 1 year temporary residency does not mean anymore that in a year you can apply for the permanent residency, next year you will just get an other 1 year temporary residency.
to get a permanent residency issued is at this moment a very rare thingy.
cost for the "renewal" of the temporary Residency ranges actually around 10.000.- pesos(plus the Fees for your Lawyer of course), but again, it can change any moment.

good luck

Mike

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
I had a discussion with the manager there and he was explaining that all now need to apply for the 1 year then 5 years and only after that for the permanent residencia.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
My experience was no problem getting the temporary visa in the US, paperwork was all in order, even had more than was needed. At immigration in SD, half of what I had for the visa was not necessary for the temporary residency. I was also told - by a friend not by immigration - that in order to get permanent residency you need a cedula. However, you don't get a cedula until you get temporary residency.

I'm in process and it seems to be going smoothly. Fingers crossed.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am having a devil of a time as there is no country near my home country where I can obtain a residence visa ..I have everything totally ready , medicals , police checks , birth certicates apostilised and so on ..and i am going for a permanent visa , that is it is for one year and then every two years because I am a retiree here with more than $3000 per month in income , my lawyer says not to worry ..but it is an appalling process

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I had a discussion with the manager there and he was explaining that all now need to apply for the 1 year then 5 years and only after that for the permanent residencia.

my prtner been this week in St Domingo to renew his 1st one year temporary residency, no 5 years available, he had to renew again for 1 more yer of a temporary one.
looks like they slow down giving out the permanent residencies too fast now, brings more tax moneys renewing the temporary ones every year again and again.

Mike

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I believe if you are married to a Dominican , you can go for naturalization ie passport , which is less strenuous , because only 1 department is involved . You would have though learn some Spanish , and some paperwork lie long copy of your birthcirtificate legalized by your embassy , that's the beginning . Residency , seems to be worthless , in many ways now , I if I were to come here now for the first time , probably would stay , and each time pay the fine for overstaying the period . But that's my opinion only at this moment , ..... Lol ..... Could change in ten min , like the dr regulations ..... Permanent residency does not exist , it's just a term they picked out of a Brugal bottle ... Mike above has the best info on the residency you will go through

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to go for naturalization is in my opinion not a good way to go.
many Countries anyways do not allow their Citizens the double Citizenship, and to get the DR Passport/Citizenship also comes with some new responsibilities, like getting called for military duties if such laws will be implied in the future, and more important, for what ever happens(Accident, Drugs, some minor criminal thingy etc) you would be purely treated as a DR Citizen without involvement of your Birthcountry.
as for frequent visitors not workong nor driving in the DR, the overstaying Fees are the easiest and hassle free way to go at this moment.

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In what country other than the DR does a birth certificate expire?

Santo Domingo.- The Immigration Agency aims to regularize the status of foreigners living illegally in the country since 1984, through a "points " system and evidence, repatriating those who fail to meet requirements.

It said to reduce the possibility of "discretion", the system assigns points for the time during which illegals have been residing in the country, with a maximum of 100 and a minimum of 50; their ties with society, ranging from 20 to 5, and 15 to 10for the socio-economic and labor conditions.
According to the National Migration Institute’s proposed "National Regularization Plan" quoted by hoy.com.do, personal identity documents would be required as an essential prerequisite for an illegal alien to be eligible
Immigration director Jose Ricardo Taveras, who also heads the National Immigration Council, said identity cards must be issued to the aliens by the authorities of the foreign Government.
Immigration would require that a passport must be valid at least 18 months, whereas a birth certificate must be legalized and in Spanish, and must be valid for six months
Applicants who are part of a family group must present marriage certificate, declaration or evidence of unmarried cohabitation, duly stamped. If the applicant doesn’t have all the required documentation, they must submit what they have, along with a biometric record and other data they’ll be given no more than six months to complete, with no extension.

The key words in the new policy are: repatriating those who fail to meet requirements.
Just replace the word "those" with "Haitians".

I have a question. In what country other than the DR does a birth certificate expire?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I "guess" the expiration of a Birth Certificate in the DR for the papers of a Foreigner (who's Birthcertificate is given by birth and stays valid for Life, at least mine from Germany) comes from the DR's Tax collecting policies.
here in the DR does not exist just one Birth Certificate, there are different Birth Certificates and they are valid for specific purposes(like to subscribe your child for the coming school year, an other to apply for it's Cedula, an other to apply for it's Passport etc etc etc). take the school certificate, you need it for every school inscription of each child, that's a significant amount of Tax Money coming into the Cashiers.
in Germany I know only about one Birth Certificate, and that's valid for everything where such document is required to be presented, it does not expire and runs for Lifetime of course.
due the Process of getting the German Passport for my Dominican born Babygirl I found out a number of "Birthcertificates" which I even never heard about.
I needed only one, a specific one, but that was not the one originally sheduled when we declared the birth of our Girlie, and it was none of the two I received on the first two attempts at the Family Courthouse in Higuey, the third one(total of 4 different ones received til now) been the appropriate one required by the German Embassy to run the process. and I still did not apply for a School-Birthcertificate, as she is only 2 years old by now, so there is existing quiet a number of different birth certificates out there in the wide and uncontrollable Birth Certificate World, lol.
I guess it's a Tax collecting Thingy

Mike