Fancy buying a few hotels in Puerto Plata?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No mensaje for me.... the targets were all High Income individuals....

I'm the perennial bridesmaid........

So poor that I can't pay attention..........

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
wow, 20 minutes from the airport... with a ferrari I guess it is doable, if they do not rip your windshieldwipers of in POP.

wow, beautifull hills atthe back of the complex. Is that the huge garbagedump?

Sadly enough, another blow for the NC

BelgianK

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I think this is one of two shoes to drop. With the cruise terminal going in right next door I bet the Riu complex is taken over by Carnaval Corp.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Carnival will not venture into the Caribbean hotel market after getting burned hard at Crystal Palace, Cable Beach Nassau Bahamas, back in the 80's.

Any buyer of the hotels can expect some business though, from the cruise port, also the new highway coming should increase traffic from Santiago/Sto Dgo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I stayed there a couple of times this year.
Luckily, someone else paid the bills.
The rooms sucked, and the food was worse.
Full of screaming Dominican kids, and their screaming drunk parents.
They must let then in on day passes or some cheap "Especial".
Went through the "Playa Dorado Complex" in PP on Sunday. Looks like a ghost town.
Who wrote that article about the sale, "PeeChardo"????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think so, but I am sure that he has a solution to this issues. THis will be taken care of in Danilo's first year on the job, if they can find the money to pay their employees???

Anyway, I am very sorry to see Riu leaving that area. They are a pretty fair chain. There were three different levels there, as I understood it, with "Bachata" the least expensive. A shame really.

The key issue for all of these place is the tour operators that funnel in the people and making sure that the people have a good time. Generally speaking I always saw good reviews of those places. People I visited there seemed quite content.

Well, when My Money comes from the NY Lottery Power Ball, I will buy it and invite you all !!!

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have seen the same scenario many time here over the last 25 years.
A new hotel opens to great reviews, and deservedly so.
Great rooms,pools,beaches,food, then as the years go by, no maintenence, the place deteriorates, fewer guests, they cut expenses by serving "Pollo" 14 times a week, fewer guests,the place closes, gets sold, new owners fix up the place, then the same thing happens again, now the hotel is OLD, no maintenence means it falls apart, end of story.
Most of the hotels I visited frequently years ago are now derelict shells.Juan Dolio, and the north shore as well.
Now, Punta Cana is the place to go.
With the new highway it's about 2 hours from SD.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We stayed at the Mambo when I went. Nearly every time we went to eat, we'd end up meeting people who were on their 5-6th visit. You have the run of all 3 while you're there, and I liked the Bachata the least. We enjoyed it, the staff was fantastic. I'm not talking Sankies either. There were rumours the Mambo was closing at the end of April, and sure enough it did. They had shut it down in the low season before this year apparently, but this time was for good. Was planning to return this spring. Who knows. Hopefully its not the end for the resort, but the future does look rather dismal.