Usa

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I had not been anywhere in the USA than Miami, but this week I'm visiting Maine. I just have one question for the Americans living in DR: WHY did you move to DR??!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Get down to "Cape Cod" in Massachusetts.
You can visit my sister in Wellfleet.
Eat a lot of "REAL Lobsters in Maine!
I moved to the DR because of the "HOT",....................................... "weather"??????????????????????????
CCCCCC

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Maine is perfect until next week when the snow flies. Eat the lobster, try the lobster fed pork , scallops and fresh cod. It snows from October until May LOL

May 12, 2005
Maine is perfect until next week when the snow flies. Eat the lobster, try the lobster fed pork , scallops and fresh cod. It snows from October until May LOL

Too many Red Sox fans and highway signs in French. Not high on my list of places to go back too.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Aren't there like 8 other threads in the last month asking the same question?
:-/

SHALENA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You couldn't pay me to live in Maine - or Canada for that matter. If I never saw snow again, I wouldn't miss it at all.

When we're at our house in DR, it takes me back to my childhood days. The simpler life. No fast lane. Rarely watch TV, spend limited time on internet. Outdoors more. Picking fruits off our trees. Growing 'stuff' like guandules, yuca, tomatoes, etc., on our land. I can relax there so much better because daily life doesn't stress me out.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You couldn't pay me to live in Maine - or Canada for that matter. If I never saw snow again, I wouldn't miss it at all.

When we're at our house in DR, it takes me back to my childhood days. The simpler life. No fast lane. Rarely watch TV, spend limited time on internet. Outdoors more. Picking fruits off our trees. Growing 'stuff' like guandules, yuca, tomatoes, etc., on our land. I can relax there so much better because daily life doesn't stress me out.

You do not miss sledding in the snow, building snowmen, having a snowball fight, playing football in the snow? My favorite temp is 35 dgrees to 45 degress F. I need change in my life with the weather I LOVE the fall season watching the leaves change colors is one of the many joys in life. Having four seasons is wonderful thing to have living in a places like Illinios, New Jersey, New York, Maryland etc. Bethesda MD is one of the prettiest places on the planet IMO. Going for a nice cool brisk walk in the fall with your love ones is fun.

When I lived in Santo Domingo it was okay, but rain, floods, bugs, sweating ,constant traffic, and the smell of exhaust fumes etc became old really fast.

Winter and snow is not a bad thing they both are very calming, unless your driving through a snow storm. I will be in Santo Domingo for Thanksgiving week and "Black Friday" but I would much rather be in Chicago during that week.

BTW Relaxation is a state of mind. If a person puts their mind to it they can be relaxed on an Los Angeles freeway and 5:45 P.M.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You do not miss sledding in the snow, building snowmen, having a snowball fight, playing football in the snow? Nope, last time I went sledding I was about 12, about same for snowmen and snowballs, and never played football - ever. Girls didn't do that then, probably wouldn't have anyway, was more of a girly-girl than a tomboy.

When I lived in Santo Domingo it was okay, but rain, floods, bugs, sweating ,constant traffic, and the smell of exhaust fumes etc became old really fastv Never lived in SD, but lots of family there, and I agree with you. Our house is in the middle of nowhere, near a beach, and almost always a strong breeze. Only traffic are the motoconchos transporting people to and from the beach

Winter and snow is not a bad thing they both are very calming, unless your driving through a snow storm Been there, done that.

BTW Relaxation is a state of mind. If a person puts their mind to it they can be relaxed on an Los Angeles freeway and 5:45 P.M Not my tempermant - I got stressed out just imagining the LIE at rush hour - or even worse - the Belt Parkway.

Now, I realize the OP lives in Santo Domingo, so his DR life is very different from ours.

RobGar

Oct 19, 2011
Well, I've been lurking in DR1 for about 3 years and have enjoyed and learned from everyone a
great deal on this blog. About 5 years ago I asked myself a similar question while living in NY, i.e., "Why do I live here
(in NY)" and "why do I feel something important is missing?". I mean, I knew I hated the weather in NY, but also felt
there was something more missing.

Please bear with me a bit cause I have some background to give.

My parents emigrated from DR in the 1960's when I was 1 year old. They decided to give NY a try. I was the only one
of my siblings that was born in DR. I grew up in NY and attended school there. I the late 70's my parents decided to return
to Dominican Republic (further along the line in life, my mother told me she felt that same feeling I started feeling about
5-6 years ago). My parents purchased a home in Mirador del Sur and I attended Colegio Quisqueya. The business established by my parents didn't pan out and we had to return to NY. My parents were victims of the frame of mind that so many here warn others of, that is, "Oh, how hard can it be?" Anyway, we returned to NY and I attended undergraduate and graduate school there. In late 1980's landed a job in Wall Street and found myself challenged and happy. I earned a decent salary and alongside a thrifty lifestyle, managed to scrape up enough to attain the essentials and some luxuries. Well, married, had kids, bought a home and life was great. However, as the years progressed, something started changing. It was a gradual change, almost imperceptible. I started to notice that during most months (fall to spring) I would barely see the sun since I went to work early and left late everyday. Especially in winter, those that live in the Northeast know that by 5:00 pm it's already dark. The long hours I was working began to take it's toll and the weekends seemed to get shorter and shorter by the month. I started to notice that most weekends it would rain or that the weather was nasty.
So, I started to take more vacations and the feelings were alleviated somewhat, but not for long.

I continued to feel a sense of missing out on something, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. Slowly, but surely, material possessions started to weigh on me. I don't mean the necessities, but the luxuries, albeit limited as they were. The mortgage was starting to feel like a cross, and the seemingly incessant striving for something I could not see, touch, or hear started to make me feel as if there has to be something more than just working to buy more things that I didn't need. I started to notice that the outings with friends became more a "Oh, I bought a BMW, and therefore, I must be better" and then the confusion I started to experience when confronted with this view. If I got rid of my Toyota and bought a BMW, would it really make me happy? I wasn't sure. I mean, I had bought a nice car when I was younger, but it really didn't make me feel happier, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. Then, I caught the break of my life; I was downsized from the job I had worked sooo hard for!!
I decided to spend that same summer visiting family and friends in the DR. I arrived to DR in summer 1998. Everything slowed down. Everyone charged me more for everything even though I know spanish perfectly. Most could tell that, even though I am Dominican, I was not from there. I started to ask the price of everything (even a soda) and this greatly
diminished the price gouging. Then I started to deal with the lack of hot water, the frequent electric shortages, the mosquitoes, and for the first time since I was a kid, I started to feel alive!! Yes, everything was an adventure, even the simplest tasks, but it also gave me a sense of lucidity. Everything seemed simpler and people (once they moved past not
trying to get something from you) became an asset. I could laugh with someone without thinking. I started to realize
that what I was missing was simplicity. The cold baths became a welcomed challenge and eventually became a way of dealing with the extreme heat. I started to look forward to my cold showers!! The electric shortages became an excuse to sit in the yard with family and friends and drink Presidente's and listen to an old radio while laughing at the most insignificant issues of the day. The road trips to rivers, beaches, and towns became the happiest moments, not even rivaled by going to upscale/expensive places around the world. Stopping to buy a Mavi, pastelitos, quipes ( my favorite), was more exciting than sitting in Manhattan in a restaurant ordering anything I wanted.

I returned after three months a changed man and started my relocation plans 5 years ago and will be retiring there in 4 years when I'll be near 50. I now live in Miami, but go frequently and I still hate mosquitoes.

RobGar

Oct 19, 2011
Hello Castle. I recently returned to NY on a visit and like any place, it has it's ups and downs. NY offers you things that would be extremely hard to replicate anywhere in the world. However, that being said, I realized I am willing to trade. No place is perfect and therefore, depending on what you want, you base your decisions. I have a sister that would never live in DR and there's no right or wrong, only choices (if you're fortunate).

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I had not been anywhere in the USA than Miami, but this week I'm visiting Maine. I just have one question for the Americans living in DR: WHY did you move to DR??!!

Many here would say for the easy way one can get sexual satisfactions (both for females & males) and leave the sexually frustrated attitudes in the home lands. NOT ALL but many!!!! IMO................................

oh i forgot the sand and sun!!!!!!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hello Castle. I recently returned to NY on a visit and like any place, it has it's ups and downs. NY offers you things that would be extremely hard to replicate anywhere in the world. However, that being said, I realized I am willing to trade. No place is perfect and therefore, depending on what you want, you base your decisions. I have a sister that would never live in DR and there's no right or wrong, only choices (if you're fortunate).

I enjoyed your two post very insightful I must say. I hope everything works out for you.

BTW Tell Ozzie Guillen I still love him and I wish he was still the White Sox manager.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah. Ever felt like your life is like on rails? For me, at one point I noticed everything in my life was going to be too generic. After school, get a job, buy a house, buy nice car, have children, get nicer job, get nicer house, get nicer car, have grandchildren, die. It seemed to me that the kind of life society was advising me to have was just too staged, only necessary to please a few, and I was not going to be happy in the long run. So I opted out. Can't be thankful enough I did. If anything, I think people need to experience life in tough places (not as a tourist, but as a full-time dweller) to understand what is important and what is not.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bronx", I had PLEANTY of "sexual satisfaction" when I lived in Boston!!!!!!!
It's just that it made my arm sooooooooooooooooo tired!
It's better here,I don't have to be alone!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
PS, I think the "OPs" question was "rhetorical".
He means that after seeing Maine, he wonders why we ever moved to the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At one point in my life, lived and worked in FLA.

As others have said, it was hard to adjust to the lack of four seasons....I returned north every season to recalibrate my internal clock - fall colors, snow (just looked didn't shovel), spring flowers.
I was about 30 at the time.

Now, like AE, I could care less if I ever see another snowflake.
No more recalibrating that clock for me......

I'm never gone from here for more than several weeks at a time.... never as long as 2 months.

There's something about RD that gets me.
I'm not introspective enough to verbalize it............ but its a good thing!!

However, it certainly isn't everybody's cup of tea.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Bronx", I had PLEANTY of "sexual satisfaction" when I lived in Boston!!!!!!!
It's just that it made my arm sooooooooooooooooo tired!
It's better here,I don't have to be alone!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
PS, I think the "OPs" question was "rhetorical".
He means that after seeing Maine, he wonders why we ever moved to the DR.

Mr and Mrs Bates young boy, little Master Bates, knows enough to alternate sides.... building each arm equally.
An old Chas Atlas trick

RobGar

Oct 19, 2011
Thx JMB. Ozzie is catching a lot of heat down here. Maybe if the team were winning there wouldn't be many issues.
I'm a Yankees fan (back from the Reggie Jackson days) but left the same year they opened the new stadium and wasn't able to go. I did attend the Miami new stadium and it's nice.