rebellion in DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so, i am grumpy today. first miesposo hits my car, thanks. second, mother in law shows up for a visitation. to talk about upcoming weddings. whatever prima's in centro espanol in october and my sister in law in POP in november. traje formal, she says.

now, we all know i am shorts and flip flops kinda woman. no salon every week, no fancy haircuts (last week i was so bored i cut my own hair, put it in a pony tail, squint my eyes and cut), no jewelry, no shoes and handbags fetis. but when i have to i scrub up well. i knew about november wedding and bought a dress back home. in a second hand shop, ha!, my mother in law would faint. anyway, a dress, black and grey, leopard print, asymmetric, party dress. alas, it appears it ain’t formal. formal? god help me, it’s a middle class wedding in a third world country, not bloody oscars! needless to say my in law was not happy, she already brought me a dress to wear, badly fitting blue monstrosity, but, you know, long and with mucho sequins. as formal as it gets.

i flat out refused. she says i need to wear formal, i said i will wear what i want full stop. she did not take it well. grabbed her bag and left.

now, i don’t know what to say. when i was a teen i missed school, when i did show up i was drank, drugged or both. i was disrespectful towards teachers and the elderly, i got into trouble. i don’t do authorities well. i will never progress at work. heck, once when my american boss was giving a speech to his workers and asked rhetorically why did i come to DR? i cut in saying it was for cheap pussy (he did find a love of his life among barbanegra girls, what can i say?). i suffer from chronic overhonesty. it does get in a way, sometimes but it works for me. it’s an easy life. because i really, really, do not care. and if i had one last f**k to give i would dress it up in flip flops and funny pack and take it out to dinner.

but DR… tradition and appearances are everything here. things are done in a certain way. always. are there no rebels in DR? we established there is metal music scene in SD but rebels without cause are more difficult to google. any one has a story about black sheep in their dominican families? any teenage angst?

Dec 26, 2011
Give it a generation or two... they're waking up to the pointlessness of arbitrary protocol.

Love your writing. Particularly your "chronic overhonesty".

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Although some will be disappointed, this type of change will never happen.
Even more so that the US culture fascinates the masses.

Repeat after me: It will never happen. :chinese:

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Rebell all you want but....

its her day!

if I was to come to your wedding and you wanted me to wear a cowboy hat and $hitkickers I would

lol
Manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you saw me from the front you'd never say that :)

and sister in law saw the dress and she likes it. so i'm gonna go with her opinion :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Wear what the suegra wants but have them taylor it for you. Problem solved. :)

BTw,I doubt Dominican society wil be changing as soon as many would propose - especially after O wins and we go bankrupt. :ermm:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Great post DV8

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wear what the suegra wants but have them taylor it for you. Problem solved. :)

BTw,I doubt Dominican society wil be changing as soon as many would propose - especially after O wins and we go bankrupt. :ermm:

Just can't resist can you with the "off-topic" remarks?

Great thread up to that point.

We all know you hate "O", if it will keep you out of America, I'll vote for him.....

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
DV8,

Ok, being Dominican, Norwegian, and American, i will offer you my unsolicited advice.

1. Stick with cutting your own bush; i do it, and have done it for a nearly a half century now, and its worked out fine. it's just hair, it grows back. And with hair, you always get numerous chances to correct the mistakes.

2. Wear what you want, whenever you want, however you want. i do it, its worked for me. i grew up partially in Bonao, I went to high school in Bonao from 1977 o 1981, and although, initially i got some funny stares coming to school in my pajamas, people acclimated to it and got used it. in high school, i refused to use the outhouses in the courtyard--the public high schools in Bonao only had outhouses that were placed in the middle of a court-yard, but walled-in. instead, i only urinated into the sink in my biology class. i got into trouble over it right up until we caught our professor doing the exact same thing, and then nearly every male in schol followed suit simply becuase of the conveniance of it. No one wanted to walk down a flight of stairs and go outside and wait in line, in order to use an over-filled outhouse that had mosquitos congregating inside, waiting to attack you rear end and private parts. when i tell my norwegian co-workers here this story, they find it hard to believe, but a simple phone call to anyone who went to high school in Bonao in the 60's and 70's will confirm what i'm saying.

3. Completely ignore any Dominican suggestions. We're glorified Beverly Hillbillies. nothing more. Even the stinking rich ones--of which my family are an integral part of (i'm not), are nothing more than rich hillbillies. We dress wrong for the indegenious climate, we acclimate incorrectly to our environment and surroundings, we drink too much, eat too much, seldom exercise, and we're notorious, serial cheaters when the opportunity presents itself and we think we can get away with it.

4. Your adopted Dominican family are nothing more than glorified hillbillies. Remember this...especially when you find yourself in the private homes of the rich and famous. i've been to most of them on the island--certainly not all of them--but most of them, and the richest homes here are nearly all the same--we dominicans do not acclimate and adapt easily to the formal settings and rich galas that are so popular in the west. yes, i know, the dominican women--my cousins and aunts in particular--do their best to prove and show off that they are sophisticated and educated, but this is just a funny ploy that fails miserably once the guests leave. Once the guests leave and they're home alone with only family members around, they throw off their fancy $2000 dresses and italian shoes, rip off the masking tape holding their boobs together, wash out the 2 liters of hair-spray holding their hair up, and then they break out the cutting board and start cutting their toe-nails on the kitchen table and watch the toe-nails go flying across the room where they bounce off the glass chandeliers and windows--setting off the house alarms. they also scream at the kids, then scream at the maids for being stupid, unsophisticted, and from the barrio, and then they want foot massages because they insisted on wearing shoes 2 sizes too small and heels 4 inches too high.

5. For all our vain attempts at being sophisticated and smart, dominicans are nothing more than gossiping, rumor spreading, Soap Opera watching, serial planning and conniving Beverly Hillbillies. But, you know what...i wouldn't have it any other way. At the end of the day, we're good people, with big hearts, generous with our time and energy, accepting of others...no matter how bizarre and absurd they are. we're warm and friendly, and poorest among us are the most generous, the most giving. its a paradox, a contradiction in terms, but, at the end of the day, dominicans--for all of our vain attempts at adopting western formalities and ways---and failing miserably at them--were just good ole, big hearted, joyous people that are fun to be around.

Frank

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Frank

You make a good point that behind the Dominicans love of all things foreign they have a deeply rooted love of family and friends and generosity that won't be going away anytime soon.

With regard to all Dominicans being shady business types and womenizers based on my experience there are still plenty of guys around that are honest and don't cheat on their wives. I know of a few at PUCMM, my father in law and guy from the Burdiel family from Bonao now living in Orlando. Ciao.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip, i knew you'd be reasonable :)
i will fix the blue dress and possibly wear it to the october wedding. that part of the family so particularly pretentious and pompous they re-wrote bible into keeping up with the joneses manual. admittedly so far the dress looks like heavily sequined satin rice sack but at least it is so deliciously low cut i would have to refrain myself from bending over to keep the puppies in. it is a vision of la pulga seamstress at what she thinks celebrity dresses are. and possibly anonymous tailor is not far from the truth: i have a friend who is addicted to big brand names and i swear that her LV bags look just like the one you can but from the street market in vietnam.

i am glad no one took this thread as a frown at the feeble attempts of dominican savages to look prim and proper. damn, dominicans certainly put more effort into their looks than i do and ever will. i just do not like to be forced into doing something i do not want to do. life is full of have-tos and must-dos as it is: you have to pay taxes (takes far too much work to figure ways to avoid doing it than it takes to pay them straight), you must refrain from killing a drunk arsehole who just crashed into your car (you may off him but then a lot more have-tos will follow). i want to reduce the social decorum to the minimum.

5uguwp.gif

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i will fix the blue dress and possibly wear it to the october wedding. that part of the family so particularly pretentious and pompous they re-wrote bible into keeping up with the joneses manual. admittedly so far the dress looks like heavily sequined satin rice sack but at least it is so deliciously low cut i would have to refrain myself from bending over to keep the puppies in. it is a vision of la pulga seamstress at what she thinks celebrity dresses are. and possibly anonymous tailor is not far from the truth: i have a friend who is addicted to big brand names and i swear that her LV bags look just like the one you can but from the street market in vietnam.

i am glad no one took this thread as a frown at the feeble attempts of dominican savages to look prim and proper. damn, dominicans certainly put more effort into their looks than i do and ever will. i just do not like to be forced into doing something i do not want to do. life is full of have-tos and must-dos as it is: you have to pay taxes (takes far too much work to figure ways to avoid doing it than it takes to pay them straight), you must refrain from killing a drunk arsehole who just crashed into your car (you may off him but then a lot more have-tos will follow). i want to reduce the social decorum to the minimum.

5uguwp.gif

I'm glad your willing to compromise, you will certainly be winning lots of brownie points. BTW, pleasing the suegra is universal, jeje.

Why don't you post a picture of you and the hubby at the wedding so you can wow us all. :)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

5uguwp.gif

Yeah...like Chip said...why don't you post a picture of you, your husband, and your puppies sitting out in front of your dress.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
damn, i called da bride just now and she says posh family member only and pliz to wear long dress because i need to be in the pictures :( :dead: :cry:

i tell you something. let her have the long vestido. i got a gorgeous flowery floating assembly just for that. she's be happy and will be no grumpier than i already am. right? as we say it in poland: the wolf is satiated and the sheep is alive too.

i forgot to mention recent disgruntled mood was elevated by two left hands miesposo dropping my favourite perfume bottle on the bathroom floor. we must be the only couple in DR whose mop smells like issey miyake floral. i do not think things can get any more posh than that...

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Wow if going to a wedding gets you that het up you have too much time on your hands. Go work with sick kids or something.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
lol I think this is funny and insightfull. There is still room in the forum for that. ;>