Your reality vs mine on living in DR

A

azb

Ok, lets all calm down now and lets try to be informative here to the people who seek info on DR.
I truly appologize to anyone that I have insulted and I certainly did not have to call anyone any insulting names. Appologies to O & C and to the guy in toronto.
But i do hope that we try to be more positive here as oppose to all the negativity that has been pumping out from your key boards.
You must all know the fact that not all the people are having bad and horrifying experiences in DR. Not everyone has been ripped off by custom officers and certainly not every one has gotten a raw deal on real estates. I can show you many ex-pats who are very content living here; maybe not 100% happy but certainly more happier here than where they are coming from.
I have many friends in USA and europe who would lose one finger off their hand just to come here and live.
Even in an economically depressed city like puerto plata, i read that someone is prospering and actually enjoying his/her life. I have lived in pto pta and I suffered a setback in my business. But that doesn't mean that you simply pack up and leave DR and discourage everyone else from coming to live here.
I simply gave it a thought and packed up and moved to santiago. Now I am prospering at a slow rate but I am much better off than I was in pto pta.
I too, could have drawn some conclusions from my setback in pto pta and simply could have given up. I, too, would have felt justified in discouraging everyone else in investing here and not thinking about opening up any sort of business. Yes, I had seen many foreigners go down the tubes with their businesses. I have also seen (and still see) many foreigners open up easy businesses ex: bars or restaurants which about 20 thousand other people doing it at the same place and at the same time.
Just look around in pto pta and see how many italians opened up pizza restaurants and had gone down the drain just as quickly. First of all they must realize this: tourists from all inclusive resorts hardly ever come out of their resorts to eat. So, who is left...the locals. The locals in pto pta are simple people who don't have the glamour nor elegance of the dominicans from the capital or from santiago. They know nothing about eating foreign foods. If its not yuca, rice and beans, its not worth eating. I am speaking of the majority of the puerto plata locals and not everyone. The ex-pats who live in pto pta, usualy don't spend any money either as they are cash strapped and limited to their tiny budjet.
Besides, have you ever eaten the pizza that the italians make in pto pta? It is nothing like the pizza that you are used to eating in your country. Most of the chefs or pizza bakers are dominicans off the streets.
Those tiny little bars in long beach need no explanation for their losses. No decent dominican or a decnt foreigner would be caught dead in that street after dark. Totally infested with hookers of the lowest kind.
For me, pto pta was a disaster; I loved living there but money is hard to make.
santiago is very different: higher population and better educated people. You can find anything here that is sold in USA and canada. Restaurants and bars are full on weekends and also do good on weekdays. People are much more wealthier than the pto pta area and spend more money.
I make more money here in one day than I made in a whole week in pto pta. Sometimes I make more money in one day than most people (average salaried person) in USA and canada.
My friend in santo domingo often makes 1000 dollars a day in his business, clean for himself...100% legally. I make less than him but good enough to live well.
So you see, not everyone is suffering in DR. I know many dominican who make far more than any well-to-do american in any business (except for the really wealthy people). Just go to tribecca bar in santiago on saturday and you wouldn't be able to count how many BMWs and mercedez 500, 600 fully loaded you would see parked.
So my argument is simple: your reality is derived from your own experiances. If you stop complaining and get to know the system then things work out just fine. Don't try to change the dominicans, join them. they are too many and you are too few.
Don't come here and open up another tiny bar mext to the beach along with 100 others and expect to make money. Don't buy property in an area where everyone else is dying to get out. Don't open up a restaurant in a city where no one is making any money. Ex: for the first time Burger king has a small place in pto pta. If pto pta is so profitable then why is it you don't see any big american chain investing there?
Don't just hang around with the low life girls or guys off the streets. You are only looking for trouble.
*If you sleep with dogs, you would wake up with a disease.

So in conclusion, its all simple.
You find what you look for.

now lets try to be more informative to our visiting guest to this beautiful island. I wish you all the luck.
have a nice day.

B

Business Information center

I fully agree with your words.
New settlers are having problem with understanding DR.
Same as DR will have problem understanding them.
It takes 20 30 years to grow up in one place and then when you arrive in new country process is to start again.
To make it this proces short: you ask, search and pay to understand. If you try your own way usualy this is wrong and costly way.Same happens everywhere, just people are not so friendly in other countries.
Here you have land of oportunities. Starts with frustrations but it will change to something good if you know what you want, and if you are persistant. Winners never quit and quitters never win.
Don't come with dreams of finding employment but come with dream of becoming employer. you will become one!!

M

mike burgener

i find your post interesting.....i am coming to the dr monday. my weightlifting team is staying at the boca chica resort....i want to venture out in the community...do you have any suggestions? mike from calif.