Temporary Residency

cutesheng12

Jun 1, 2012
Hi everyone! I came from Philippines and was granted a Temporary visa. We arrived here in DR last August 30. We went immediately to immigration to have our medical and picture for our residency papers. Up to now we havent receive our papers. Would you know how long before it can be release? And can we not start a job yet even if we dont have our papers? Please let us know as we dont know the process. Thanks

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hi everyone! I came from Philippines and was granted a Temporary visa. We arrived here in DR last August 30. We went immediately to immigration to have our medical and picture for our residency papers. Up to now we havent receive our papers. Would you know how long before it can be release? And can we not start a job yet even if we dont have our papers? Please let us know as we dont know the process. Thanks
It is absolutely normal to have to wait for at least 3 months, 6 months is more realistic.

cutesheng12

Jun 1, 2012
It is absolutely normal to have to wait for at least 3 months, 6 months is more realistic.

But is it okay to work while waiting for our papers since we technically have a residency visa? We're planning to work in a call center.. Thanks

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Some call centers that were previously allowing people to work with just a passport, are no longer doing so...But I imagine if you show proof your residency is in progress, they will let you work.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
But is it okay to work while waiting for our papers since we technically have a residency visa? We're planning to work in a call center.. Thanks

Do you have a receipt of some sort from Immigration indicating that your papers have been filed? If so, that should be enough if you are concerned. It is not your fault nor the fault of your employer that the process moves slowly.

However as Criss Colon said, depending on the employer, working without papers is not that uncommon...or at least not until now.

cutesheng12

Jun 1, 2012
Wow! I never thought that I can do that. Maybe for now we can just show our passport with our resident visa stamped to it. Hope my future will accept it while waiting for our residency papers. We're just worried because I read something that we might be considered as illegal working here and might be deported.