Ceiling Fan Mounting

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I need a reliable electrician, handyman, or whoever it is that mounts ceiling fans. I will have 3 KDK ceiling fans that I am buying on Friday that will need to be put up.
I want someone reliable, barato, who will put them up CORRECTLY and STRONGLY so that they are not wobblying when in use. They will need to bring their own tools and ladder.
If you know of anyone, please let me know.

SHALENA

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I need a reliable electrician, handyman, or whoever it is that mounts ceiling fans. I will have 3 KDK ceiling fans that I am buying on Friday that will need to be put up.
I want someone reliable, barato, who will put them up CORRECTLY and STRONGLY so that they are not wobblying when in use. They will need to bring their own tools and ladder.

SHALENA

Hey Shalena. What area are you in?

Due to my Edenorte bills being so high (and boosted) I don't use the ceiling fans much anymore. Just TOOOOO expensive. I've gone to 18" 3 speed table/floor fans that I can move around and direct the air where I want it. Much cheaper to buy and run and no electrician is needed. :)

Good luck, Ringo

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hey Shalena. What area are you in?

Due to my Edenorte bills being so high (and boosted) I don't use the ceiling fans much anymore. Just TOOOOO expensive. I've gone to 18" 3 speed table/floor fans that I can move around and direct the air where I want it. Much cheaper to buy and run and no electrician is needed. :)
Good luck, Ringo

How expensive???
I have several pedestal fans but they do not do much for the whole room. I went to a friend's house for dinner and she had a KDK ceiling fan in her dining room and after about 30 minutes, I asked her to turn it off because of the chill. I liked the fan, I do not know if it was because her dining room is small but I felt that the nice cool air was circulated well throughout the room rather than a directed air current like with a standing fan.
I have not received my first Edenorte bill yet but I have but budgeted 10,000-12,000rd for electricity so unless it is more than that to have the ceiling fans, I'm cool with it. There will be a total of 7 ceiling fans in my house once I have bought them all. I will get air conditioners in January.
I am in Santiago

SHALENA

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
How expensive???
I have several pedestal fans but they do not do much for the whole room. I went to a friend's house for dinner and she had a KDK ceiling fan in her dining room and after about 30 minutes, I asked her to turn it off because of the chill. I liked the fan, I do not know if it was because her dining room is small but I felt that the nice cool air was circulated well throughout the room rather than a directed air current like with a standing fan.
I have not received my first Edenorte bill yet but I have but budgeted 10,000-12,000rd for electricity so unless it is more than that to have the ceiling fans, I'm cool with it. There will be a total of 7 ceiling fans in my house once I have bought them all. I will get air conditioners in January.
I am in Santiago

SHALENA

My wife does NOT like the table fans because it blows on her. Mine is blowing on me all the time and I like it AND it helps keep the mosquitos away. lol.

As for how much to run one? Check the power lable on the boxes and compair. You may not see much a a difference and may not matter to you.

I'm on the Special Edenorte Gringo plan that I'm charged for about 3 times what I really use. (see other threads regarding solar.) So I've been on a search to cut back and save every Amp. that I can.

As for A.C. Talk to H.B. Jr. He may have some good ideas on brands to buy.

Good luck in Santiago.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
KDK ONLY USE THE CEILING FANS , THERE ARE A COMPANY THAT IS CALLEd LASKO U can purchase and place on the wall , floor, and move around well made ,however they are noisy , you can hear the fan as KDK are the best and no noise . The DR NOISE pollution is enough , don't u think? Lol KDK ONLY WAY TO GO . I was in SD recently and saw grey clor ones that looked nicer than the white ones if u are into that

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
KDK ONLY USE THE CEILING FANS , THERE ARE A COMPANY THAT IS CALLEd LASKO U can purchase and place on the wall , floor, and move around well made ,however they are noisy , you can hear the fan as KDK are the best and no noise . The DR NOISE pollution is enough , don't u think? Lol KDK ONLY WAY TO GO . I was in SD recently and saw grey clor ones that looked nicer than the white ones if u are into that

I agree 100% on both KDK and LASKO. Avoid others.

As for installing ceiling fans where none existed before, it can get ugly hacking into the concrete walls and ceilings.
One of the disadvantages of "cement" houses.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
How expensive???
I am in Santiago

SHALENA
The larger KDK ceiling fans (60? diameter) have a 0.10HP motor which consumes 75watts. ...That means in theory (depending on supplied voltage) that you can run it for 13 hours and 20minutes to burn 1 kilowatt.
The Lasko 20? Wind Machine mentioned by another poster, does not have any published power rating, neither on the fan, it?s packaging or on the manufacturers? web site. I run 2 of these in my larger spaces and am happy with them noise and consumption-wise. The standard 16? or 18? pedestal or table fans are usually 50w or 65w, so although nominally about one-third more economical to run than the KDK it?s not a great deal in $$$ terms at the end of the day.

Dec 26, 2011

good_-_cheap_-_fast7.jpg

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ladder Also

I need a reliable electrician, handyman, or whoever it is that mounts ceiling fans.

You have got a ladder, haven't you?

OK, now the more important stuff:
What will you be wearing? :cheeky:

donP

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The LASKO Wind Machine is rated at 165 watts (which might cause Yapask1 to hemorrhage internally - just kidding).

There is a fan named Lakewood, which looks similar, that is sold in PriceSmart. AVOID IT. It makes more noise than air movement. Here is that bad model:

Welcome to Lakewood? Engineering and Mfg | Manufacturers of Quality Heaters and Fans

So: 1 fan run for 8 hours a day would = 165 X 8 = 1320 watts X 30 days = 39600 watts per month = 39.6 Kwh per month.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sklave Fanning

There is a fan named Lakewood, (...) AVOID IT. It makes more noise than air movement. Here is ...

...... the better "Yanadu" model: :classic:

blue-egyptian-slave-with-fan-left-t.gif

donP

I would not mind being your sklave, if I weren't too old.... :cry:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
So: 1 fan run for 8 hours a day would = 165 X 8 = 1320 watts X 30 days = 39600 watts per month = 39.6 Kwh per month.

Vs my 18" fan rated @ 120 watts would be 28.8 Kwh per month if run for 8 hours everyday.

Question? the rated watts is a what speed? Lo, Med or High?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Vs my 18" fan rated @ 120 watts would be 28.8 Kwh per month if run for 8 hours everyday.

Question? the rated watts is a what speed? Lo, Med or High?

Correct on the 28.8 kWh of the 18" fan.

I would hope that the rated watts figure is provided for the highest speed which would consume the most power.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

SHALENA

Well Shalena. You now know more about fans then you ever needed or wanted to know. But WE hope that some information helped you or a least you found it entertaining to some degree.

Have you found an electrician in Santiago yet?

LOL. Ringo

May 29, 2006
How long it takes to install a ceiling fan will vary greatly from brand to brand. I've replaced some fans in as little as a half hour and others have taken over an hour an a half. Some require that you add the fan blades after it's mounted(tiny screws upside-down with nuts and washers on blades that move), which is a huge pain in the ass. Most brands now have a hook that the bulk of the fan can hang from while the wiring is done. Hunter is a good DIY brand. I also like brands with reversible blades so you have more options for the final look. Westinghouse makes them with metal blades, which will last much longer than blades made from pressboard.

It's very important that the brand you use has a ball joint in it so the fan can self-level itself once it's in place. --Even with a flat ceiling, this is an important consideration.

Are there existing junction boxes where you want the fans to go?

Never install a fan on a standard dimmer switch as it may cause the motor to burn out.

Dec 26, 2011
How long it takes to install a ceiling fan will vary greatly from brand to brand. I've replaced some fans in as little as a half hour and others have taken over an hour an a half. Some require that you add the fan blades after it's mounted(tiny screws upside-down with nuts and washers on blades that move), which is a huge pain in the ass. Most brands now have a hook that the bulk of the fan can hang from while the wiring is done. Hunter is a good DIY brand. I also like brands with reversible blades so you have more options for the final look. Westinghouse makes them with metal blades, which will last much longer than blades made from pressboard.

It's very important that the brand you use has a ball joint in it so the fan can self-level itself once it's in place. --Even with a flat ceiling, this is an important consideration.

Are there existing junction boxes where you want the fans to go?

Never install a fan on a standard dimmer switch as it may cause the motor to burn out.

The KDK fans I'm familiar with come with their own dimmers. For the money, they perform very well.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
OK, so I do not understand the majority of what has been discussed. I would hope that someone experienced in mounting ceiling fans would know about dimmer switch, motors, and the such.
Where the fans will go there is already wiring, there were fans there before (except in the sala upstairs and the bedrooms). Someone told me that the fans run between $110-$120 (US). I have not looked yet so I'm not sure but if this is true, I will buy 3 friday and then the other 4 in 2 weeks when I come back from NYC.
No, I do not have a ladder. I am a very simple lady, I prefer hired help to come in with their own equipment, do what is needed, and then leave and take their equipment with them. (Insert your joke here)
I will call HB when I'm back at home and see if his son knows anyone.
I will be wearing super skinny jeans, blouse, and 3-5 inch heels- colors to be determined

SHALENA