interesting history

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
Parsley Massacre

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

In October 1937, Dominican President Rafael Trujillo ordered the execution of the Haitian population living in the borderlands with Haiti. The violence resulted in the killing of 20,000[1][2] Haitian civilians during approximately five days. This later became known as the Parsley Massacre from the shibboleth that Trujillo had his soldiers apply to determine whether or not those living on the border were native Dominicans who spoke Spanish fluently. Soldiers would hold up a sprig of parsley, ask "What is this?", and assume that those who could not pronounce the Spanish word perejil were Haitian; both French and Haitian Creole realize the r as a uvular approximant and their speakers can have great difficulties with the alveolar tap or trill of Spanish.[3] In the Dominican Republic, the massacre is known as El Corte ("the cutting").[4]

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
Thank you, Bluemoon. The number of victims in this horrible massacre could have been much higher, had Trujillo used a more intelligent way of determining nationality; a large number Haitian who lived close to the border and who had frequent contacts with Dominicans actually knew how to pronounce it correctly.

I wonder if this oft repeated perejil story is apocryphal than true. An interviewer should be able to tell the nationality of interviewee within a couple of sentences. No parsley needed.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hey Bluemoon why don't we go back to 1822 to 1844 and read what the Haitian people did to our people during their time here. This report also failed to report that before 1937 Dominicans were not allow to speak spanish in school because the Haitians teacher used to slap them on the face when they did and that also the Dominican pesos were not accept it in some stores only Haitian money was accepted it by those so called Haitians nationals that were rulling that part of the country back then, so in other words I don't agreed with taking anyone life but in this case Trujillo had it motive to do what he did other wise this country would it had already belong to Haiti again.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Hey Bluemoon why don't we go back to 1822 to 1844 and read what the Haitian people did to our people during their time here. This report also failed to report that before 1937 Dominicans were not allow to speak spanish in school because the Haitians teacher used to slap them on the face when they did and that also the Dominican pesos were not accept it in some stores only Haitian money was accepted it by those so called Haitians nationals that were rulling that part of the country back then, so in other words I don't agreed with taking anyone life but in this case Trujillo had it motive to do what he did other wise this country would it had already belong to Haiti again.

So why not do it to Spaniards also?

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007

well JDL, you say you dont agree with taking anyones life BUT IN THIS CASE..so you are already justifying the massacre. If you read the TITLE bonehead, i wrote interesting HISTORY, get it? history? lets go back to the tainos and caribs or how about the cavemen?can we justify some of the things that happened? I thought it was an interesting bit of history..interesting, so did some other people, thats it..have a nice day

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Haitians, Dominicans, what's the Difference?
Some live on one side of "Hispanola" and speak'Creole",some live on the other side of "Hispanola" and speak poor "Spanish"!
If they don't talk, how are you supposed to tell one from the other????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC