Playa Fronton to Playa Madama?

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
We are considering getting dropped off by a boat at Playa Fronton (19?17’47”N 69?09’35”W) in the morning, spending some time snorkeling before the water gets choppy, traversing the Loma El Fronton, dropping in on Playa Madama (19?10’03N 69?09’44”W), seeing the caves there, snorkeling some more, and then hiking back to Las Galeras.

My concern is the traversal of Loma El Fronton, which is essentially a 200 meter high, 3 km long, 1 km wide plateau with steep sides. Playa Madama is teasingly close from Playa Fronton (less than 1200 meters). From the description of the route between Playa Fronton and Las Galeras as presented in LP, it sounds like that there is a trail that would go around the Loma from the south (presumably close to the Boca del Diablo, from which, according to other posters on DR1, there is a trail). I’d to avoid the 9 km hike and would like to go over Loma, if possible. Yes, we will have hiking boots with us, and if needed, a rope and a machete. Do you know of anyone who has done it?

BTW, I would like to avoid the two small fincas atop of Loma El Fronton (19?17′12.3″N 69?09′43.8″W and 19?17′28.9″″N 69?09′33.2″W). Growing something atop of a difficult to access mountain top, without a visible road to it, makes me think that the growers seem to value privacy, which I want to respect.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You might be better off to tell the boatman to either wait for you or return to Playa Fronton in a couple of hours to take you to Playa Madama. It is not worth the hike, or skip Madama all together. Another beach to check out is Playa Valle which is you can access the road to this beach just outside of Samana city on your way to Las Galers. On your way to Playa Valle you might want to check out the Zip line tour. It is about 3km before you get to the beach at Playa Valle. They also have a natural pool and water falls to swim at. Good luck.

LTSteve

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I've been to Playa Fronton a few times--its my favorite beach on the island. I've reached the beach with two of the three different ways to get there. One way to get there is by Boat...here is a video of the approach by boat that i took:
1. Playa Fronton, Las Galeras mp4 - YouTube

Another way to reach the beach is from Boca de Diablo. basically you drive or have a taxi take you to boca de Diablo and from there you start a very simple hike that takes 50 minutes. here is a video i shot of it:
2. Dominican Republic 3 - YouTube

The third way is to come over the mountin hiking. i have not done this route but i have run into people who were doing it and it looks like fun, but a little dangerous. what i decided to do while i was at playa fronton was to hike up the trail to the top of the mountain. i wanted to take pictures from the cliff above. when i got to the top--it's not an easy climb--about a 200 meter near vertical climb, quite difficult--i ran into some hikers who were on their way down to the bottom--a 200 meter descent to the beach. they said the hike was relatively easy until you get to the cliff and then need to descend down to the beach--which they hadn't done yet--becuase i had met them at the top before they started their descent.

Anyway, all three routes are fabulous, and the beach is amazing. you'll love it.

FRank

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
Thanks Stave and Frank!

Frank, regarding the third way, what it seems like you are saying is that there is a trail from Playa Fronton to the top of the cliff; it is difficult to do, but you do not need climbing gear. I know Playa Fronton is known for excellent rock climbing routes, (e.g., Climbing :: El Cabito , DRpure.com: Rock Climbing: Adventure Tourism in the Dominican Republic ), but we are in no position to take advantage of them. It sounds like we would be OK with hiking boots, a rope, and a machete.

Do I read your post correctly?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks Stave and Frank!

Frank, regarding the third way, what it seems like you are saying is that there is a trail from Playa Fronton to the top of the cliff; it is difficult to do, but you do not need climbing gear. I know Playa Fronton is known for excellent rock climbing routes, (e.g., Climbing :: El Cabito , DRpure.com: Rock Climbing: Adventure Tourism in the Dominican Republic ), but we are in no position to take advantage of them. It sounds like we would be OK with hiking boots, a rope, and a machete.

Do I read your post correctly?

Yes, that is correct.:nervous: