1WEEK TO ASIAN TRIP .. ANYONE HAVE CONNECTIONS TO THE Material by the roll ?travel?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Tripping to southeast Asia and 1thing is am interesting in locating is lots by the bolt , roll,of cloth , high low end Material If anyone has some leads or advice it would gladly be appreciated! HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL ...lol I will go anywhere to DO IT! it's one of the avenues I have chosen to make this trip more varied . I will try to mix a cocktail of practical, touristo, comparisons to Dom rep ,and Asia a bit too so if any dr1 ers have questions about comparisons to Dom rep and Asia they are interested in PM ME and I will check it out for you , if I can ..
maybe a recipe you want? What the price of gas is? Who knows ... And if any experienced travelers have been to a knock out place and recommend it I would like to hear from u too! Thanks

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Take a boat tour in Bangkok and sail amongst the many floating markets and if you dare {maybe find some company to go with you) visit Bangkok by night.

Visit Chiang Mai in the mountains, an absolute must!

Visit the tribe with the women with the elefhant neck. They are fascinating people and still hold on to the tradition that a woman gets one copper ring per year around her neck.

If you do not have planned any hotels in front in Indonesia, you can go for a few day's relaxing on one of the thousand islands off the coast of Jakarta. Take one further away because the closest ones have poluted water due to the fisher villages who float around.

Mount Bromo on Java if still able to reach because its an active vulcano but the trip is magnificent. You start before dawn decending in the still bigger crater where Mount Bromo is in, you have a trip of about an hour on foot in this crater and then a climb to the edge of Bromo to watch the sun come up. Wonderfull experience.

If you have time, take the ferry from Java to Sulawesi. A one time experience to be on deck with thousands of people who make the trip also, making their dinner on little propane burners, chickens in their baskets. You can sail first class which is still cheaper then an airline ticket but do not expect first class as a Western, you will have the upper deck to yourself and a nice cabine to sleep in but thats it.

Visit Toraja land in the mountains, they are a tribe on themselves, have beautiful houses and a deep cultural history.
They burry their death until the family has enough money to do the ritual ceremony. Until then, the dead family member has still a place at their table and a bed to sleep in. Once enough money gathered they dig up the body and do the ritual ceremony of slaughtering a bull and then the family member is put in one of the many caves surrounding the area, simple coffin and a wooden face of the deceased is placed in front of the cave. After that its a feast to celebrate life.

Indonesia leads itself very good in transportation, just show up on the designated places where the little busses stop and you can either take one of them or share a jeep with some other travelers to the place you want to go, price is minimal and certainly if you can share with some other travelers.

Sri Lanka has some beatiful trips to offer and you can do it with a private driver but I am not sure how the coast line has recovered from the tsunami a couple of years back. The mountains are beautiful though with all the tea plantations as far you can see.

And now in return :) I want you to bring back a bag of coffee beans for me from Toraja land if you plan to visit, these beans are the top of the top.

Have fun!

Acira

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Last October was in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phom Penh and Siem Reap. May not be the perspective that you are looking for, but here is comments from off the mind...

One difference with the DR is that I found that these Asian destinations flaunt their poverty and make money off it with many tours or opening very poor areas as cultural attractions. This is different to India that is nonchalant about their poverty. Here in the DR the trend is to hide poverty, although we are not successful at that!

And definitely try all the different massages in each Asian country. They are very cheap compared to Dominican massages. Definitely check out the spas. Do not succumb to the temptation to put your feet into a fish tank. I was foolish and came back with a fungus!

Was also surprised with all the international malls in Bangkok selling what you can buy in Europe and US, but the knowledge there is that they are important to the US tourist. The explanation is that when people are on vacation, they have time to do the shopping they don't do at home. They are well-stocked with international fashions. So the Americans can buy European fashions, the Europeans can buy American fashions. Best to catch the sales that I found to be good. Thai and Cambodian silks and cottons are super.

Loved the Palace in Bangkok. Took the boat taxis, best way to get around. Would definitely include Chiang Mai in the trip, was a highlight of our visit. Think the boat trips are overrated. Just go there and walk around.

Siem Reap, the town near the famous Cambodian Angor Wat, was impressive. Not on the positive side, but on how intense tourism can be, maybe something we should try to avoid. But the place flows and works, so good for them. Seemed out of a movie to see hundreds of thousands of people transiting through their as they stayed to check out the famous ruins. Imagine Cabarete, Puerto Plata multiplied by 1,000%. Hope this doesn't happen to Colonial Santo Domingo, if the tours come in now that the Coral Highway puts Punta Cana just over 2 hours away.
Guess it is something similar to Saona island being bombarded by so many tourist boats, but there the beaches spread the people out, so not so intense.
I guess that impact toned down for me the wonder of Angor Wat.

Food in Asia is great. And they do a better job of playing out what is their own. Take a cooking class...
I also recommend buying kitchen utensils made from coconut tree wood. They use them for cooking and they are superior to bamboo.

Enjoy your trip.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I was living in that region for 6 months...Fall in love with it. Good people, great food, great weather, cheap, everything cheap and @ reasonable prices. You can get VERY basic room In bangkok for 6 USD.....(not bed in dorm, but room). OK room with fan is 10 bucks. Rent motorbike/scooter while in Thailand...for longer rentals prices is less than 5 usd/day. head to the south....amazing beaches and landspaces. Bangkok is safe at night if don't do stupid things... watch out anyway for stray dogs...They are everywhere in Thailand....
For the market thing - go to Chatuchak in Bangkok.
Lookinh for something wilder ? Go to Sumatra in Indonesia. Recommend you Lake Toba....great place and great people. Rent motorbike there too ;-) Want something more "western" ? Go to Malaysia, former GB colony.... Amazing mixture of Hindu, Malay and Chinese people. Great food... try pancakes from India...
good meal in Thailand - is around 1,5-2 usd, eaten om the street. Healthy, fresh and tasty. fresh juice, shakes... whatever you want....
Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions or ask them here...
Oh and did I forgot about massage in Thailand ? be sure to go there. Good healthy oil massage is around 10 usd.....They are the best in it :)
Gas in Thailand is around 1.3 usd/ liter, in Indonesia is around 0,9 usd/ liter in Malaysia is the same as in Indonesia...or cheaper.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Nice to see no one mentioning anything about mongering. Oops, I just did.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e1ApJY64gBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hahahahahaha