Immunizations for Pregnant Women in DR (PAI Program)

Habichuela

Mar 26, 2011
Hi there,

wondering if anyone can help.

I fell pregnant in DR and was sent for routine vaccinations that apparently all pregnant women should have if they're in DR. I went to a public hospital for this and was given a record card to keep track of the vaccinations I would be having. The first shot from a series of three was D/T/TT.
I have since returned to the UK and now need to know how this will effect any vaccines that I have done here, the problem is I don't know what D/T/TT stands for. I think D is for Diphtheria and TT is Tetanus but I'm not sure what the T is! It would be great if anyone knew because I can't seem to get any answers from anyone and from this week they are offering a new vaccine in UK for whooping cough, I wondered if these might interfere.

Many thanks.

Habichuela

Mar 26, 2011
I managed to get through to the office for Programa Ampliado de Inmnizacion and indeed, the T does stand for tos ferina-whooping cough. Thank you for your replies!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Why would you get vaccinated while being pregnant???
I consider that rather dangerous to the unborn life! Vaccinations are not free of side effects...
Please do not trust everything some doctor tells you; get a second opinion.

Habichuela

Mar 26, 2011
Santa110xyz, not helpful. I did what was recommended by my Dominican doctor and my husband's family. It is part of the public health program and at that time I was going to remain living in DR- so I followed the advice of the professionals. The whole reason I did it is because I care about my unborn baby and I wanted to make sure he is protected.
Your post is not helpful in any way- I'm asking for advice and you're accusing me of being negligent when all I want is the best for my baby. Thanks very much.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I happen have a medical student here next to me and she says that Tos Ferina = Whooping Cough is always a P not a T. I would say that the T might be Typhoid.

One reason that she gave was that Tos Ferina vaccine is rarely given to an adult because of allergic reactions.

This is a case of questionable doctoring (public hospital>? OMG!!) but I am sure that the Medical Service in Merry Old will take good care of you.

Rest easily and avoid anyone sticking you with anything here in the DR!!

Cordially,

HB

Habichuela

Mar 26, 2011
Thanks HB. Now I'm completely bamboozled! Just because there exists a combined vaccine for Tetanus,Diphtheria and Pertussis (whooping cough) that they administer in US and the lady I spoke to from the immunization program in DR said "tos ferina". The issue is, my doctor in DR will not answer the phone so I cannot confirm it. This is such a mess, I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your suggestion x

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
Rest easily and avoid anyone sticking you with anything here in the DR!!

Cordially,

HB

Oh no! I had a blood test done on me while I was there. I was nervous about the cleanliness of the needle, but my bfs sister laughed at that & assured that they use brand new sealed needles each time! I thought that the clinic looked suspicious because no one else was around in the waiting room. I thought maybe it was a place to take money from patients, & they probably didn't even do any test & give you a false result.

OP, Are those shots given only to the DR? Are they for mosquito bites. Hope all turns out well.

Habichuela

Mar 26, 2011
Hi Paintedbird,

I don't think the shot I had was for mosquito bites, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of it- all I know is that they are highly recommended for pregnant women by the Dominican public health service.
Take care

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, do not worry. we are in a different zone here. it may be that some vaccines you have received in DR would not have been given to you in USA/europe. but this is because some diseases that have been nearly eradicated there are more prevalent in the caribbean region.

good luck with the kid, may it be healthy :)