current SAFETY level situation in DR

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I booked ticket to DR for around 20th October. So, yes, here I come...
Anyway, AFTER (ha ha) i booked ticket I started to read info about safety in DR... I read about thiefs, about muggins , about embassy warnings, about fake police officers, I read on wikipedia about world's highest ratios of murders by countries (DR is in the top 20....). Later whoever I ask he tells me that either he got some things stolen or he knows other people with the same situation....
i hear and read about house breakins, robbers with knifes, guns, etc....

I'll land in Punta Cana around 2 pm... As 100 % individual tourist...Should I bring tank with myself ? Guns, knife ? ha ha.... My level of spanish is around 0,5/10 , I am experienced backpacker and traveller though....

What level of precautions should i take with myself ? Is it really-really not recommended to walk after dusk in DR anywhere ? i did so in most of European cities, in South East Asia, in Morocco... nothing wrong happened to me...How is that different from situation on Carribean - DR ?
Thanks for non sarcastic answers ! ;-)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I personally find that Punta Cana is one of the safest areas in this country. Practice normal safety precautions (don't carry your passport on you, don't pull out a wad of bills in public, don't load yourself down with pounds of gold chains, etc.) and you should be perfectly fine.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
You seem like an experienced traveller.

The DR is safe, unless you like the crowds involved in prostitution, drugs, etc...

If you survived Morocco, you will do fine here...

BelgianK

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I personally find that Punta Cana is one of the safest areas in this country. Practice normal safety precautions (don't carry your passport on you, don't pull out a wad of bills in public, don't load yourself down with pounds of gold chains, etc.) and you should be perfectly fine.

What she said. If you have the usual backpacking looks, not flashing money or a thousand-dollar cell phone, you'll be alright almost anywhere in the country. The only lethal weapons you'll see will be sankies, but that's a different story...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been going to DR since 1975 - I personally have never been robbed, threatened, hurt, etc. (Well, my house was robbed once, but that was by a family member who had a key).

KateP is right on the money. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, and you'll be fine.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
You'll have a great time! Explore, maybe find a guide, a driver. Lots of people speak English and are very welcome to help.
No need for weapons, maybe have a fake wallet or spread cash if you feel like it but really no different than any other place in the world.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
actually my plan is to head to Santo Domingo OR Santiago OR Puerto Plata/ Samana area....Like I wrote in some of my previous posts I'm looking for best opportunities to have a) reasonable good Internet connection while living in rented apartament/room/hotel b) possibility to learn spanish in school/ course c) volunteer opportunities... Which of them suits my requirements best ?

thx....

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
actually my plan is to head to Santo Domingo OR Santiago OR Puerto Plata/ Samana area....Like I wrote in some of my previous posts I'm looking for best opportunities to have a) reasonable good Internet connection while living in rented apartament/room/hotel b) possibility to learn spanish in school/ course c) volunteer opportunities... Which of them suits my requirements best ?

thx....

Go to all those places if you can. I like Santo Domingo for the shopping, the culture, the history, I like Cabarete for a more relaxed atmosphere, the nature and the water sports.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
you killed me with that last line,,i was all set with some witty sarcastic responses..oh well next time

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
just be careful in badly lit areas lat at night.

listen to your instincts.

Remember that people are very poor here and so are very willing to 'help you out' for a donation. even if you dont need or want help. have a few 50 peso notes handy

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
just be careful in badly lit areas lat at night.

listen to your instincts.

Remember that people are very poor here and so are very willing to 'help you out' for a donation. even if you dont need or want help. have a few 50 peso notes handy
thx, i will try to be assertive when i'll have to be....

juant

May 9, 2012
I agree with KateP 100% on this one. Also, even though Punta Cane is a safe area, do not flash money around there and also make sure that if you are taking a cab is a real taxi company and not anyone with a vehicle posing as one. I hear of a lot of stories, mainly in Santo Domingo, of individuals posing as cab drivers and taking the tourist to a destination were they get robbed.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
?el mejor lugar para estar?

.... Punta Cane is a safe area...

From "Crime happens everywhere"(= common DR1 euphemism) I deduce that not even Punta Cana is a safe place... :cheeky:
Thus there is no safe place in the Dominican Republic either...

However, it seems that some places are less safe than others. :tired:
[And you can make a choice depending on your preference, agenda or experience. :bunny: ]

Also, people tend to forget quickly:
Matan pareja de esposos en B?varo - Hoy Digital
PN busca dos hombres mataron pareja de esposos - Almomento.net :: Periodico Digital Dominicano
Pareja* asesinada*donaba juguetes ni?os de B?varo - ElNacional.com.do

donP

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
From "Crime happens everywhere"(= common DR1 euphemism) I deduce that not even Punta Cana is a safe place... :cheeky:
Thus there is no safe place in the Dominican Republic either...

However, it seems that some places are less safe than others. :tired:
[And you can make a choice depending on your preference, agenda or experience. :bunny: ]

Also, people tend to forget quickly:
Matan pareja de esposos en B?varo - Hoy Digital
PN busca dos hombres mataron pareja de esposos - Almomento.net :: Periodico Digital Dominicano
Pareja* asesinada*donaba juguetes ni?os de B?varo - ElNacional.com.do

donP
That was a very unfortunate crime, and though the victim did not deserve it, it highlights what many have previously posted here on this thread; don't flash any gold. The thief went for the man's chain and the man tried to fight him off. Again, not saying the victim deserved it, but he did stand out by wearing gold jewelry.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Entonces, quien tiene la culpa?

That was a very unfortunate crime, and though the victim did not deserve it, it highlights what many have previously posted here on this thread; don't flash any gold. The thief went for the man's chain and the man tried to fight him off. Again, not saying the victim deserved it, but he did stand out by wearing gold jewelry.

Yes, jewelry is a no-no! :tired:
A decent car? No-no! :tired:
Nice and tidy clothes? No-no! :tired:
Living in a villa? No-no! :tired:
Camera? Laptop? No-no! :tired:
Cellular phone worth more than 40$ No-no! :tired:
MP3 player? NO-no!

BTW, the victim had "flashed gold" inside his home.
A no-no, I suppose..... :tired:

donP