I'm Not Trying to Make Trouble..but

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If I see one more thread about the new residency requirements......

Firstly, use the search function - it's your friend (as one RD/DR1 resident puts it.)
Secondly, any thinking person who wants to, or already does , spend any significant time here should already have residency.

Can you count how many of the so called "Experts" on this forum are not registered residents?
Some of them are the most frequent posters, some are moderators, some are the loudest mouths......
I suppose some are all three.

I am flabbergasted at the whimsical behaviour that they display.
But, I guess that's just me. Is it?

And then, to top it off...........
they have the unmitigated gall to complain about the new procedures, about being 'put out' by it all.

"Woe is me".... it will cost me money, the paperwork is onerous, I'll need to travel to Sto Domingo.

WTF -- how do you think the rest of us did it ????
We came, we saw, we signed up.

Get on the bus and go...

Need a lawyer - get one

Don't like it - Lump it

I just cannot feel sorry for you 'JohnnyComeLately's'.
It's like a restaurant operates .......... they feed you and pour drinks for you - then you pay your tab and even tip on the way out.

These are things you should have considered a long time ago.
These are things we residents considered before we came.

We went to the all inclusive prepaid buffet...
Paid for the meal first, then sat down to enjoy it.... no surprises here.
Just a nice meal enjoying the comfort of the surroundings.

Paperwork, containers.......... we all did it.

Suck it up , people.

Whining will get you nowhere.......

And it can be annoying:eek:gre:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and i am sure that some, some of those posters froth at mouth when talking about those f**king illegal immigrants in their own countries. you know the drill: stealing our jobs and impregnating our women.

when i came to DR i gave myself 3 moths (back then it was a maximum period of legal stay without a visa) to decide whether i wanted to stay here for did. started residency process before my time was up. i understand some did not because they could not be bothered. fine with me, one may be content in a position of a f**king immigrant ;) but do not complain now. get your butt going. you may have fun facing dominican bureaucracy. or find a great material for humorous bitching thread :bunny:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Billy jumping the loops

Need a lawyer - get one
Why?
Laywers in this country are often crooks.
And:
You do not need a laywer for your residencia(s).

These are things you should have considered a long time ago.
These are things we residents considered before we came.
How can you foresee their moods and ridiculous new procedures (which BTW can change by the drop of a hat)?

Oh, do you remember the summer time fiasco? :cheeky:

Whining will get you nowhere.......
Well, maybe a concerted action of several embassies will.
The Spaniards protested, the German ambassador had a talk with the director of 'migraci?n'...
I am not saying that that will change everything, but it just might.

You just keep on jumping through every loop they have for you.
Good boy, William!

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have lost track of how many 8:30AM lawyer meetings we had in SD - whether for applications, blood tests, x-rays, aduana meetings, container importation............ you name it.

You either get up at 5AM and drive or you stay overnite in SD to do it (we have done both)

One time, in the heat of the summer, I wore shorts....
Well, one of the governamental departments doesn't allow shorts (or open toed shoes for women).
The young lawyer asked me to change -- not possible, we drove in this morning.

He opened his trunk and gave me his "weekend" jeans..... young Dominican 'cool stuff' jeans - full of holes.

Wait a minute - these linen shorts won't fly but your 'hole in the ass' jeans will get me in.???
Si Senor

I hated to give them back to him.... for a few hours, I was a slick young Dominicano walking around SD.......................

At the Aduana, they wouldn't allow my brokerage clearance agent to accompany me...... until I flunked the Spanish part of the conversation (virtually every word)... then she was allowed to enter.

I was a neophyte..... the people I refer to in my post suffer from none of the disadvantages that befell me.

Cakewalk for them............. I had PROBLEMS.

No sympathy from me.!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why?
Laywers in this country are often crooks.
And:
You do not need a laywer for your residencia(s).

How can you foresee their moods and ridiculous new procedures (which BTW can change by the drop of a hat)?

Oh, do you remember the summer time fiasco? :cheeky:

Well, maybe a concerted action of several embassies will.
The Spaniards protested, the German ambassador had a talk with the director of 'migraci?n'...
I am not saying that that will change everything, but it just might.

You just keep on jumping through every loop they have for you.
Good boy, William!

donP

Post #7, donp, was written before reading yours............ but it fits.

And quit whining about "Rule Changes"
That was the point of Post #1..........

Suck it up.... or get out of the pool.
Sink or swim..... there are a million of 'em

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As far as I am concerned, the more complaints about the new procedures, the better.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What I heard from one of the professors, an attorney, was that these laws were created to limit the Haitian immigration because they are taking so many jobs, mostly in construction. Not only that they are creating and trying to enforce other laws to make engineers use local labor. Unfortunately with the stiff competition it's very hard for contractors competing for projects to win bids if they have to pay a guy RD800 a day to install block.

As I am a contractor I am concerned as well. Obviously to stay competitive we have to use Haitian labor but I plan on going to go to a more sophisticated lightweight European system "paneles aligerados" in order that we can justify paying laborers more and thus use more Dominicans but still stay competitive overall.

The real source of the problem for this mess is the Haitain politicians that have bungled the rebuilding and the future of the country by trying to manipulate the contracts.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Post #7, donp, was written before reading yours............ but it fits.

And quit whining about "Rule Changes"
That was the point of Post #1..........

Suck it up.... or get out of the pool.
Sink or swim..... there are a million of 'em

If you don't like the whining, don't listen to it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In 2008/9, when I was coming in, there were few posts about it.

I joined DR1 at that time and talked about my container w/ car ... blah, blah, blah.

People were very curious about bringing in a container and a car.
Lambada asked me to report back about how it went, at what cost, etc.
Somebody can find that thread

I did.... very few posts then.

The times, they are a'changin ---- or changed !!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hypocrites!

What I heard from one of the professors, an attorney, was that these laws were created to limit the Haitian immigration because they are taking so many jobs, mostly in construction.

On construction sites and road works contracted by the government I usually see more Haitian than Dominican workers.

The engineers have their ways of employing Haitians and yet not get into problems with the 'authorities'.
I very much doubt that those Haitian workers have or need papers... :squareeye

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Worse Circumstances

In 2008/9, when I was coming in... (...)

Circumstances can change for better or worse.
IMO, they changed for worse.

To me it seems, you feel that others should be willing to go through the same unacceptable change of renewal procedures that you do not mind going through.

Sorry, your 'follow-me-car' is veering off the taxiway... :tired:

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In 2008/9, when I was coming in, there were few posts about it.

I joined DR1 at that time and talked about my container w/ car ... blah, blah, blah.

People were very curious about bringing in a container and a car.
Lambada asked me to report back about how it went, at what cost, etc.
Somebody can find that thread

I did.... very few posts then.

I found it.... it reads interestingly.... much different than today.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/84191-buying-car-north-coast.html

The key posts are around #40 and # 57 is good.

Lambada controls the conversation... read/watch it..... Chiri, you're there if I recall

Anyway - it expresses my frustration w/ the process which reinforces that bwe have all been through "the hoops"... so why all the bitching form the 'wise old owls'????

I made it w/ a fraction of your experience...
And blew no wind... not much, any way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Circumstances can change for better or worse.
IMO, they changed for worse.

To me it seems, you feel that others should be willing to go through the same unacceptable change of renewal procedures that you do not mind going through.

Sorry, your 'follow-me-car' is veering off the taxiway... :tired:

donP

I think you are veering...

Nobody is asked to do anything, let alone willingly, but if you want to/choose to apply for residency, then or now, expect hurdles.

What I am saying is that I went through the difficult process with less knowledge, less ability and less whimpering than the current crop.

If you want to join that group.... keep typing

Don't follow me.... I'm already in....

Follow your nose to Immigration.....