LT's Fight against 'Luz y Fuerza'

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Las Terrenas
Would you like to live with 'luz' 24/7?
Then Las Terrenas is good for you. Here blackouts are very few, the local private company "Luz y Fuerza" provides a reliable service and repairs are done within hours.

Nevertheless, disgruntled 'terreneros' want to change things and thus they are organising a 4-day-protest march to Medina's government palace.
Obviously local polit clowns succeeded in making some citizens believe that EDENORTE is better for them. :alien:

It is true, the tariff here is higher* than elsewhere but do they not know how bad the 'luz de gobierno' is?
Somehow someway I wish the marchers success... :classic:

Noticias de Saman? Republica Dominicana: Las Terrenas marchar? hasta Palacio Nacional en contra de compa??a Luz y Fuerza

http://us.las-terrenas-live.com/las...ional-palace-for-fairer-electric-service.html

*)
I think, it is around 17 Pesos/ kWh.
But how would I know? My solar panels and I do not care really.

donP

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Rate is almost 10 % more than you think: 19,5 pesos.
A "regular" familly (fridge,TV,only 2 fans, lights) need 150kw/month=1925 Pesos

With EdenNorte 4.4 Pesos per KWH= 660 Pesos.
But they need a booster (average 75 volt not 110) they need an inverter/charger.
As they buy a cheap inverter (Not pure sine wav) they need 130 watts to get 100.
In fact they need 150Kwatts + more or less 25 KW loss on inverter/charger
They pay 175x4.4 =770 pesos + hardware investment and batteries they need to change every 3 years.

Calculate the hardware and you will discovered than the KWH is the same price with LuzYFuerza and EdenNorte.

Poor people have the choice not to buy inversores in that case they have Luz more or less for 660 pesos a month
instead 1900.
The admission fees at is 3 time less with EdenNorte .

The dream is LuzYFuerza availability + EdenNorte rates.
LT inhabitants want that dream comes true.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Somos pobres

The dream is LuzYFuerza availability + EdenNorte rates.

... and they want corrupt EDENORTE workers who do some illegal connections for extra money.
The same guys who are protesting now would then protest again for free 'luz', because "somos pobres".
:rolleyes:

donP

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You don't want Edenorte. You do NOT want Edenorte. YOU do NOT want Edenorte. YOU DO NOT want Edenorte. You don't WANT Edenorte. YOU DO NOT WANT EDENORTE.

Take it from a guy that has had Edenorte for over 10 years.

You don't want them!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
16 Years Ago...

You don't want Edenorte. You do NOT want Edenorte. YOU do NOT want Edenorte. YOU DO NOT want Edenorte. You don't WANT Edenorte. YOU DO NOT WANT EDENORTE.
Take it from a guy that has had Edenorte for over 10 years.
You don't want them!

Well, tell THEM that. :dead:

I was told, that about 16 years ago the owner of LyF had his SUV set on fire by a mob.
He was rescued by a helicopter which landed at the 'play'.
A young man was shot and injured in the riots.
The man was later employed by LyF....

donP

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
If I am not mistaken, most folks in Las Terrenas are aiming to put an end to the monopoly: same song as usual, about a decade ago, Codetel was the only game in town for cell phones, and rates were outrageous... Then Orange came, and later Viva, it gave a boost to competition and prices went down.
L&F has been abusing Las Terrenas with exaggeratedly high rates, and they deserve to be shaken a bit...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand. ladronorte is cheap but they do not deliver. our monthly rate is about 2500 pesos (no A/C). it is this high because when there is luz the inversors sucks it up. if they did deliver 24/7 power our bill would be halved (sans inversor chucking and chomping luz like crazy).
so, say you pay now 2000 pesos with LyF. transfer to ladronorte and you will pay the same plus you'd need an inversor and 4 to 8 batteries.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
i do not understand. ladronorte is cheap but they do not deliver. our monthly rate is about 2500 pesos (no A/C). it is this high because when there is luz the inversors sucks it up. if they did deliver 24/7 power our bill would be halved (sans inversor chucking and chomping luz like crazy).
so, say you pay now 2000 pesos with LyF. transfer to ladronorte and you will pay the same plus you'd need an inversor and 4 to 8 batteries.
No, our L&F rate is 19.45rd$ per Kilo, so usually I end up paying around 6500rd$ per month (no AC, no fan... basic setup with a fridge, tv and laptops)

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
when there is luz the inversors sucks it up. if they did deliver 24/7 power our bill would be halved (sans inversor chucking and chomping luz like crazy).
Have in mind that cheap inversor lost more than 30% to recharge. To get 100 what you need more (and you pay for )130.
If you do not have the right voltage 110 and you have let say 80 , your meter turn "faster".

When you buy an efficient inversor you can reduce your need from more than 30 to less than 15%.
P.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am sure you are right. the bottom line is, i think, that i have no trust for anyone offering 24/7 power in DR. i'd still have an inversor just in case.
now, if i was to receive totally uninterrupted power, like back home, 24/7, 365 days a week, no blackouts, no surges i would gladly pay premium. if LyF gives you just that - stfu and be grateful :)
if they do not i can promise you ladronorte will give you dead coochies as soon as you get connected. it's worse than marrying a 60 year old ho from sosua :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hoping for the Shake

L&F has been abusing Las Terrenas with exaggeratedly high rates, and they deserve to be shaken a bit...

Read the articles in today's "Infos Diario" (pages 1 and 2 as below):

infosdiariojueves041.jpg

infosdiariojueves042.jpg

I have never been a customer of LyF but would like to see all those who complain now be connected to EDENORTE immediately. :cheeky:

donP

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I am surprised that no where in this thread is any mention of the extra charge LyF put on the bill every month under the heading 'otros cargas' with absolutely no explanation, this month it is 900 pesos. Anybody know what its all about?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I'm not sure if this applies, but, I live in Gasper Hndz and am forced to use Edenorte. I have a fridge, lights, 2 fans, tv, cable, computer with wifi, and a washing machine and an invesor with 4 batteries, and other power using appliances and my bill usually comes to 650 pesos......Edenorte said my meter was not functioning correctly and has changed it 4 times and the bill comes out the same....

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I hope they win! Last month my bill for a 1 person household was 1020 pesos !!!!! at 15.95 pesos a unit. And I have solar assist as will.

DR would do well to turn its back on private companies that extort.

yapask1

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I hope they win! Last month my bill for a 1 person household was 1020 pesos !!!!! at 15.95 pesos a unit. And I have solar assist as will.

DR would do well to turn its back on private companies that extort.

yapask1
Where do you live to have such a cheap rate with Luz&Fuerza ?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
CEPM (Punta Cana B?varo) unit rate is US$0.31. We pay between US$40 (winter months) and US$80 (summer months). We don't use a clothes dryer and very rarely run the a/c, and all our lightbulbs are low-energy.

In the 4+ years we've lived here the power has never gone out for more than a few minutes, once in a blue moon. I don't know anyone with an inversor, although the hotels do have back-up generators.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
If you consume less you get a lower rate. I live in Las Terrenas.

yapask1
It only works for certain areas. One of my bills is always under 100 Kilos, and I still cough up the max rate (19.45 now)
Which area of LT do you live in?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I agree that the service is very reliable however LyF seem to be putting to the local people. I would like to know if the higher rates are to insure that those who can't or do not pay there bills do not effect the service for the rest. The only way to keep up with increasing rates is to conserve where you can. An interesting fact in Las Terrenas is that Balcones del Atlantico which is the biggest hotel and condo complex in the area has its own power generator and does not use LyF services. That should tell you something. I don't think there is much recourse in trying to lower rate. It is a trade off for continuous power. I guess we need to decide what are priorities are. I can control my usage. I can't control the rate.

LTSteve

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I think its about 70-80 kWh and domestic only. Live in central Las Terrenas.

yapask1