What are the most popular Dominican Medical/Health insurance with Expats ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Please name the current most popular Dominican Medical/Health insurance companies / plans with Expats, and WHY ?

Why did you choose this one over that one ?

What don't they cover ?

What are their monthly rates (in D-R pesos).

Did they live-up to your expectations when you most needed them ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I would also like to know how many monthly payments must pass-by before you can be confident that you are now fully covered with the Health insurance company you chose for yourself ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know how many times it has been covered. :pirate:

people here use different companies, the biggest and most popular being ARS universal and ARS humano. there is also palic salud, monumental, colonial, yunen, constitucional and few others.
stick to the two biggest for maximum security: they work in all hospitals and most doctors.

you do not need to be a resident to get a coverage with a dominican insurance, passport is enough.

the coverage varies from the company and the plan you chose. you can alter some details (maternity, dental, ambulatory) as you please, you can also add or kick out more people into your plan (partner, kids, workers).

they will not cover pre-existing conditions. you may, of course, hide them, especially if young: normally there is no medical exam. they will not cover all farts (above 60-65) but they will continue coverage if you have signed up at, say, 40.

normally you wait 3 months before your insurance kicks in, apart form emergencies, in some cases.

price will depend on insurance company and the plan you chose. from maybe 500 a month (basic) to 3000 or over (pesos a month per person). so 1500 on average.

i have a plan from colonial because this is what miesposo's company offers. they pay a chunk and we pay some small difference. when i worked i had a basic plan from humano.