Tax Reform Package Coming Today

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Get ready to pay more for electricity:

It also transpired that the government will suggest to the CES to make the electricity rates more transparent and reduce the level of subsidized consumption to no more than 150 Kw/h and charge everyone the same rate above that level. This would be a faster adjustment towards the elimination of the subsidies.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
speaking of which, I read a notice in the news last week that the percentage of paying customers for the Conde zone and San Carlos had dropped so the circuit was changed to a B level - meaning 21 of 24 hours power a day. Since reading that notice indeed there have been numerous 3 hour blackouts - mostly mid afternoon. What gets me mad is I pay my power, water, trash, internet bills EVERY month. I've had my power disconnected once for forgetting the elec bill and they cut me off a day or two after the bill was due so now i'm religious about paying this bill every month......

So why neighborhood total blackouts if the payment levels are low? Why isn't the elec company just disconnecting, re-disconnecting if needed to get these non paying people to pay their share in the elec. costs?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Wtf? 10 % more for "telecomunicaciones?

We have already the most expensive Internet more or less worldwide. Making that evsn more expensive helps a lot with education too. :tired: Just saying...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Starting next year you will pay 1% of the value of your car every year for the Marbete. No more 1200 and 2200 rd.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No car (yet)... But considering this I think I will go with this

flintstone-car.jpg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
speaking of which, I read a notice in the news last week that the percentage of paying customers for the Conde zone and San Carlos had dropped so the circuit was changed to a B level - meaning 21 of 24 hours power a day. Since reading that notice indeed there have been numerous 3 hour blackouts - mostly mid afternoon. What gets me mad is I pay my power, water, trash, internet bills EVERY month. I've had my power disconnected once for forgetting the elec bill and they cut me off a day or two after the bill was due so now i'm religious about paying this bill every month......

So why neighborhood total blackouts if the payment levels are low? Why isn't the elec company just disconnecting, re-disconnecting if needed to get these non paying people to pay their share in the elec. costs?

THAT is the MULTI-BILLION PESO question. Answer: Because it is political suicide. Electricity has become a "right" in the DR. And because of that, now you have the RIGHT to LESS!

Last edited:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think disconnecting and re-disconnecting works. I has been tried before. Disconnecting electricity leechs takes resources. You need to use a vehicle and its fuel, a couple workers, a ladder, tools, etc. The power company truck has not gone around the corner when the leechs have already reconnected. You need to use public force to stop them. But you can't because you're not providing the service you are asking people to pay for. What came first, the egg or the hen?

Jan 9, 2004
Here is a handy graphic that explains the changes,

487400_505240332820963_376910760_n.jpg

Ouch!

Given these taxes the cost of living will rise and the peso will probably have to fall in value to offset these taxes and appease the people somewhat.

One example is autos. Any auto that they determine to be worth $10,000 USD in value will pay approximately 3900 pesos yearly for placa....almost doubling the current rate. If you were looking at buying a newer vehicle....for the sake of having a newer vehicle...you may want to think twice....what with the sales tax also climbing another 2%.

One clarification. What is the 16% on combustibles. Is that a new tax, or an increase of an old tax?

These are some huge increases...what with all these taxes coming on top of one another.

The government balance sheet is worse than I thought.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Ouch!

Given these taxes the cost of living will rise and the peso will probably have to fall in value to offset these taxes and appease the people somewhat.

One example is autos. Any auto that they determine to be worth $10,000 USD in value will pay approximately 3900 pesos yearly for placa....almost doubling the current rate. If you were looking at buying a newer vehicle....for the sake of having a newer vehicle...you may want to think twice....what with the sales tax also climbing another 2%.

One clarification. What is the 16% on combustibles. Is that a new tax, or an increase of an old tax?

These are some huge increases...what with all these taxes coming on top of one another.

The government balance sheet is worse than I thought.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I would like someone on this board to give me a cognitive argument to how all of these increases in taxes are not going to be a net negative to the economy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wow!

Those taxes are harsh. Seriously. I agree with PC2: the REAL gubmint balance sheet must look horrendous.

I predict several unintended consequences:

• Economic slowdown across the board
  • Higher rate of tax avoidance
  • The death of Free Zones
  • Tourism slowdown

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would like someone on this board to give me a cognitive argument to how all of these increases in taxes are not going to be a net negative to the economy.
The poor are the ones who will suffer the most.

The cost of living just made a HUGE jump.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The poor are the ones who will suffer the most.

The cost of living just made a HUGE jump.

I am confused about the 1% tax on vivienda-it appears that they changed the definition to the ownership of all property by each individual person vs. each individual property. Is that correct?

May 12, 2005
Well if the peso devalues, will prices rise like when Hipolito was President? That would be a double whammy. When the peso was 56:1 prices rose to compensate but when the peso went back the prices remain artificially high today.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This all stems from the DR going to the IMF to borrow money. They want every country to tax their citizens to death. It will never end as long as the IMF is involved.

Feb 7, 2007
And the first "placa" for newly bought/imported vehicles will be 17%!!!

According to this
Reforma fiscal sube ITBIS y grava m?s 270 productos alimenticios - DiarioLibre.com
se establece un impuesto selectivo de 16% ad-valorem sobre el consumo interno de dichos combustibles

so then according to this
http://www.seic.gov.do/media/11718/Aviso precios combustibles 2012-258.pdf
LEY 495-06 AD-VALOREM REFORMA FISCAL 16% is ALREADY included in the price (these are last week's fuel prices).

Jan 9, 2004
Well if the peso devalues, will prices rise like when Hipolito was President? That would be a double whammy. When the peso was 56:1 prices rose to compensate but when the peso went back the prices remain artificially high today.

Frank:

I do not believe it will devalue as in the Mejia days. That was brought on by a systemic banking crisis.

But the current situation of borrow, spend and pretend has been facilitated by the IMF when they rode into town and saved the DR economy from collapse. They have been trying in vain to get the government to change its ways....but to no avail. And, once the government figured out they could just bailed out again and again....their behavior (financial) has still not changed. And as one can plainly see, the "low" interest borrowing costs are more than offset by the IMF's demands.

Those demands have been more and higher taxes on the population. Now if those taxes were properly spent, that would be one thing. But since the DR is dead last of 144 countries in wastefulness of government spending, the need for taxes will show no signs of abating for the foreseeable future.

Add in the fact that the DR has subsidized oil from Venezuela (they have Presidential electionson Sunday) that allows them to defer full payment for 20 years....and that the price of gas is already so heavily taxed, it begs the question....where does all that money go?

It certainly does not go to pay the power generators. It certainly does not go to education, or to the health and welfare of the citizenry. One can only conclude it gets swallowed up by the political party in power for the benefit of its members.

And I imagine that the resident spin doctor will be here before too long to post about all those schools, hospitals etc., the "government" is building or built. So before he tries that spin, understand that the money for most of those new schools and public hospitals was lent to the DR by the various other world agencies for development, i.e., the WorldBank, USAid, IADB, etc.

So the question still stands....where does all the government money go?

But of course, the question is rhetorical. Do nothing NGO's controlled by Senators that employ do nothing relatives. Hundreds and hundreds of deputy ministers that only know where they go to collect their check...not what they actually are supposed to do. More military generals than the US and Canada combined. Thousands of soldiers who are on government payroll yet asigned to private duty for powerful and influential party members...or who are leased out by those same party members for further political gain. Ambassadors and their staff to certain countries that do not even have an embassy to reside at.

The list goes on.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2