Why the insane fear for Kermit?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We have noticed it before, but today our cleaning lady demonstrated it once again.

She will gladly crush a tarantula between her bare hands, will bite the head of a rat, eat scorpions for breakfast, and train the big centipedes. But she saw a small frog, and she fled the house.

Is there any reason behind this?

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
It was not the toad. This was a 1 inch frog. She called it pajaro, which I thought meant bird..

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not just maids, miesposo shivers at the sight of a frog and will refuse to touch the little bugger. so i am left to chase frogs around the house and deport them to the golf course. we also have big ass toads in the front garden, he will not even look at them pretties. they may be poisonous, who knows, but they must recognize a friend for i catch those with bare hands too to move them somewhere else. sometimes i sigh and let them stay, they like to hide in the holes left from cutting banana trees. we normally have one resident toad living somewhere in peace.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I dont get it either, i'm more disgusted (not scared ofcourse) of a cockroach than my wife, but she is extremely scared of frogs.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Well, you learn something new everyday...

Here I have been kissing frogs all my life in the hope of finding a princess...

But I refuse starting to lick toads.... lol

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know what type of frogs they are but they seem like kind slow fellows: large as my open palm, different shades of brown. when lift up they do not release any kids of liquids, they stay very calm.
have a certain penchant for dog food: in my in laws finca they spend days and nights behind dogs food bowls, occasionally shooting they tongue out to grab a tasty morsel. dogs keep away but they all live together in peace.
buggers used to climb in inside my rotties bowl too. dogs looked at them in amazement and barked. no physical contact.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~This is perhaps a new "topic" for Matilda's blog...she seems to do detailed research...perhaps there is an old dominican folk tale...similiar to her Mouse of a tooth fairy!!!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am talking about a little beige-coloured frog, about 1 inch in size... Small head with bulging eyes...

I would take a pic of it, but my cleaning lady does not want to hold it... lol

BelgianK

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Maybe she already has her prince charming and might be tempted to kiss it. jejejejejejeje

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qiuUF01gNtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Batrachophobia- Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders, there you go and I thought it was fear of camels

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
~This is perhaps a new "topic" for Matilda's blog...she seems to do detailed research...perhaps there is an old dominican folk tale...similiar to her Mouse of a tooth fairy!!!!

LOL will do research on frogs! Never seen one in the barrio!

matilda

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
LOL will do research on frogs! Never seen one in the barrio!

matilda

~I knew you would...;et us know what you find..I am sure AE can assist with Mr AE's assistance as well....looking forward to hearing thus Tale of Tails....LOL

May 29, 2006
I was staying with this girl about ten years back and one day woke up to hear a goat crying outside her casita. I put on some shorts and a shirt and went out to check it out. The cute little goat, about six months old, had a long leash on it and the leash had gotten stuck on some big rock. I went over and undid the snarl and reeled the goat in and gave it a pat on the head.

My GF went completely bonkers.

She started yelling at me to stay outside of the house, then came to the door and gave me a gallon of water and some soap. Then she said to wash my hands-- wash them well. Then she said that the goat belonged to the Haitian neighbors and that they used the goat for black magic and started saying something about candles burning...

I knew she was Catholic and all, but wow. What I don't know is how common the belief in Voodoo is among other Dominicans.

What about the Big Black Moths? I think some folks are afraid of those too.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I would run too. Eewww!
My kids have chased me around the house with a bucket of frogs. They pick them up no fear.
The maid probably thought she would get WARTS!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'll bet it's one of those superstitions handed down from generation to generation and no one ever asked WHY.

I look forward to Matildas' research report.