Car Rental

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Hi to you all!!!
Finally, after nearly 6 years I?m returning to the DR, on vacation this time. Also, I was able to convince some friends and we formed a group of 3 families, 6 adults, 7 kids.
We will be spending 12 days at Las Terrenas and 5 days at Bayahibe, starting feb 12, 2013
The thing is there are so many things to do and beaches to visit at the north coast that we are considering renting cars for moving around those initial 12 days. Pickup and return them at SDQ airport. The best rate I got is from Budget, around 635 (tax) per car. I emailed them asking for some discount, as we would rent 3 cars, but got no reply yet.
Should anyone have any other serious car rental provider where we could get a better deal? We are looking to rent something a small/medium sized SUV, like Suzuki Grand Vitara(thats what Budget qouted), Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage....
thanks in advance for your help

Francisco

mangla34

Jul 2, 2012
I never chime in on any post but I do enjoy them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. I rented Grand Vitaras from Budget at the airport and the rental price quoted was basically doubled when I paid for the rental because of the insurance, not briefed in their quote. With gas at $6 a gallon, I started renting smaller. You can reserve compacts or any size for airport pickup at carrentals.com starting at $17 a day, then double the price when you add insurance. There are several places outside the airport that will rent you a SUV for $45+ a day, insurance included. Inbox me and I can provide you with a name and # for a place I got Grand Vitaras, 17 days for $850. I'm pretty sure he will give you a better price for 3 vehicles. I use to pay around $87 a day at the airport(first time posting and don't remember if I can provide names and #s in the post)

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Why don't you rent a van, instead of renting 3 cars?
Patron, of course it's an option, the thing is I haven't found anything for 12 passengers.
the only downside of it is moving through more challenging ground on it, like playa rincon or others....
but if someone knows where to rent a van for at least 12 people and their gear (3 families with at least 6 or 8 big suitcases) please let me know....

thanks for your posts....

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Most of the taxi vans hold 22 people HA HA so you should be able to find a van which will hold 12

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
car rental

Hi to you all!!!
Finally, after nearly 6 years I?m returning to the DR, on vacation this time. Also, I was able to convince some friends and we formed a group of 3 families, 6 adults, 7 kids.
We will be spending 12 days at Las Terrenas and 5 days at Bayahibe, starting feb 12, 2013
The thing is there are so many things to do and beaches to visit at the north coast that we are considering renting cars for moving around those initial 12 days. Pickup and return them at SDQ airport. The best rate I got is from Budget, around 635 (tax) per car. I emailed them asking for some discount, as we would rent 3 cars, but got no reply yet.
Should anyone have any other serious car rental provider where we could get a better deal? We are looking to rent something a small/medium sized SUV, like Suzuki Grand Vitara(thats what Budget qouted), Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage....
thanks in advance for your help

Francisco

The airport rental companies will charge you a 10% fee that off ap companies won't charge you. Having said that some of the off ap companies are the biggest scam artist around. Try Presitge rent a car, located in the Quality hotel minutes from the a/p. they will pick you up and probably give you a deal. the owner is from the states headquartered out of la romana
The other thing is make the reservation (you don't have to guarentee with a cc) and when you show up go to some competitors and you likely can work a better deal. Economy will probably beet it. Ask for Ismelda the manager. she is professional and speaks some english if you need it

faer

Jan 6, 2005
The airport rental companies will charge you a 10% fee that off ap companies won't charge you. Having said that some of the off ap companies are the biggest scam artist around. Try Presitge rent a car, located in the Quality hotel minutes from the a/p. they will pick you up and probably give you a deal. the owner is from the states headquartered out of la romana
The other thing is make the reservation (you don't have to guarentee with a cc) and when you show up go to some competitors and you likely can work a better deal. Economy will probably beet it. Ask for Ismelda the manager. she is professional and speaks some english if you need it

thanks Gary!!!!... i'll check with Economy and Prestige...

and yes, we thought about renting a traditional "guagua"....but the Wifes didn't like the options we had....jajaja..