Report On Mustard Seed Benefit Dinner

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Thursday September 27 it was the evening of the benefit dinner for the Mustard Seed foundation in Restaurant 'La Parrillada Steak House' in Sos?a. The Mustard Seed Foundation takes care of neglected mentally and physically disabled babies and children. The home is located in Cangrejos and currently houses more than 20 children. The benefit evening was well attended by both Dominicans and foreigners.[/h]

[h=5]Many entrepreneurs and artists had made paintings, food packages, fruit baskets, coffee etc. available for the auction held. The union for fishermen in Sos?a even had some big fish donated. After a word of welcome by Mayor Ilana Neumann and the president of the Mustard Seed Foundation, some troubadours performed. Then the chairman, who is from Canada, stepped forward and thanked all participants warmly for their contributions. He thanked Bob of the Rumba Bar in particular for his donation in January of this year, of $ 20,000 to the foundation. But, as the chairman said, he is not only grateful for the large donations but also very grateful for the small gifts. At the moment donations are still being made so that the final amount has not yet been published.[/h]

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is a major and great effort. Different from what we are doing here in Santiago. Mustard Seed cares for really developmentally handicapped/impaired/mentally challenged children. There are no real state institutions that can provide this care. Many of the children are wheelchaired wherever they go. The children have families, but the families usually cannot cope and this is a wonderful thing for them.

I do not know of any other place that is solely dedicated to serve this demographic. They are important and are to be supported as much as possible.

HB

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Unfortunately, we missed the event by a day, although our friend, Raphael drove us to Hogar Immanuel to take our clothing, shoes and toys for the surrounding children. Spent time with the mentally disabled children...........so sad, and these children really touched my heart. Some, I was even able to make laugh when I tickled them. There were mostly boys there, looking to be about a year up to 13 or so. It was also clear to me that a couple of these little angels were suffering from AIDS. Although heartbreaking, I would like to go back again and spend more time with these beautiful children. May God Bless these precious children and the staff that work tirelessly to take care of them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wanted to be there but couldn't because of class. Good news though, Michelle Shines the administrator tells me that she has a major donor lined up for the first phase of the expansion. I am working with Mustard Seed of course and we have the architect under contract and should have a concept plan done next week with elevations to help sell the project. We hope to start construction in January.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
BTW, I shouldn't have implied that the donor will cover all the costs of the first phase so keep them donations coming!