any ideas on pool paint cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
any ideas on how much I can expect to pay per gallon (epoxy)- I could ask in a shop but have been quoted odd prices for normal paint so thought I would ask the experts rather than someone who wants to extract money from me

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know your Spanish is pretty fair: Call Enriquillo at Ochoa in Santiago. The one on Imbert. He is their resident pool guy. He is straight and good at what he does and he will quote you the right price.

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
any ideas on how much I can expect to pay per gallon (epoxy)- I could ask in a shop but have been quoted odd prices for normal paint so thought I would ask the experts rather than someone who wants to extract money from me

Not sure that anyone can give you a good answer since those same people have already extracted money from us!

We just had our pool done. Whole thing sanded down, some fill where needed, two coats of paint with fine no slip sand put on the steps. I don't know the price (Mrs. R pays the bills) but this is the man that we haved used for several years due to his very good painting skills and is honest. Spanish only. Tiko 809-721-9171.

Tell him that I recommended him... use my real name IF you remember it. LOL

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we had our pool done in may.

We paid 2,500 rds per gallon for the high quality epoxy pool paint, and needed 4 gallons, for 2 layers. (bought at linares in Cabarete)

The work as Ringo described came to 6,000rds, and 2 blue smurfs in a hole in the ground... lol

BelgianK

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
wow was hoping about 800 pesos lol.....wonder how my non- existent bargaining skills would do lol

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
wow was hoping about 800 pesos lol.....wonder how my non- existent bargaining skills would do lol

Of course, it depends on the size of your pool and how much prep work it needs first. Call Tiko, have him look at the job and get a quote. I lives in POP but does work in our area. He has painted our whole house, inside and out as well. We have given him a few challanges with our special painting requests that he did perfectly. lol

A couple of tips. Our land slopes enough that I used a garden hose to siphon out the old pool water. I had one guy down hill as I filled the hose from the faucet so when we had a good flow he covered his end while I put the hose into the pool. Took about 2 full days but no running the pump to empty it. Depending on your pump location and outlet, you may be able to use your own system as a siphon by adjusting the filter setting and using the bottom drain without the elec. pump.

The fine sand for the no slip steps can be bought at the pool store and sprinkled onto the first wet coat of paint. It's the same sand that goes into your pool filter.

I filled the pool mainly from the street pressure that took about 4 or 5 days but I didn't have to run my water pump and empty my cistern or order 3 or 4 water trucks with their dirty water. I DID pour in a couple of gallons of liquid chlorine bleach while filling to keep it cleaner.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I was painting it myself to keep the costs down-I think you are lucky if it lasts three years

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I was painting it myself to keep the costs down-I think you are lucky if it lasts three years

The prep work done correctly is the most important and hardest part. Two/three days of sanding with a grinder, clean that up, fill and sand again... clean up again. Even thou I can and could do it..... NO thank you.

Rolling paint is easy. lol

Lasts closer to 5 years. Pool is over ten years old and this was our second re-paint.

Oh... never use a metal brush unless you absolutely have to.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
by the way why do all large brushes have bristles about one inch long, what that all about

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As Ringo said, the prep work was the hardest part. I think the guys spend a couple of days getting the old paint of, and they used quite a lot of sanding paper on their grinder.

On top of that, even with the filters in front of their faces, they were coughing up blue dust. The whole garden, and patio was covered with that dust. No way I would have wanted to do that. And they were standing right in the sun, the whole day. Being a nice guy I gave them all the water they wanted, plus a number of cokes or juices. They went through a couple of the big bottles like nothing.

The actual painting took them a couple of hours per layer.

There is a huge price-difference in the paint for pools. But there is also a huge quality-difference.

I was lucky. I made a deal with our landlord (a Dominican). He would pay for the paint, and I would pay for the work. He told me to get that specific paint as it would last a long time, so it would be cheaper for him in the long run.

If a Dominican is willing to splurge that money on paint, there must be a reason for it... lol

BelgianK

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
by the way why do all large brushes have bristles about one inch long, what that all about

ROFL. I never thought about it... never needed to or cared to. Don't have an answer other then YOU are thinking too much.

.............. now I have to NOT think about it.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
well i did used to like to think I could do everything myself- unfortunatley I have to admit im not a 22 year old haitian lol

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its weird im looking for a large brush with long hairs to hold the paint and they dont actually exist here

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
its weird im looking for a large brush with long hairs to hold the paint and they dont actually exist here

OHHHH. I get it know. You are talking about paint brushes not pool brushes. Geeezz jr. Stop changing the subject. lol.

Did you look/ask at the Sosua Tropical paint store?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
errrm where is this ?

From La Mulata road, turn left. It is on the right side of the main road about half a kilometer. Single floor building with a couple of others near it. Just after a right turn road that would take you to the bakery. Look for some color and Tropical sign. (I THINK this is their location..)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
oh right ive been in there - i always argue with the price, somtimes i walk out with nothing, they only seem to stock very expensive brushes

but always quite helpful

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Marmolina

I'd use 'marmolina' (pool stucco), not paint.
More expensive, but it is lasting much longer until needing renovation.
Ours has done 14 years and yes, we need to do some re-plastering now.

donP

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Do it RIGHT, THE FIRST TIME. These are the directions from the pool store Pro-Source Caribe, in front of Ocean Village, Sosua;

Steps for cleaning and painting a pool
Remove all of the loose and flaking paint.
Remove main drain cover and injectors. Remove lights from niches and place them on the pool deck.
Repair and patch any rough surfaces. A smooth surface yields the best paint job. DO NOT polish the surface with a power grinder.
Clean the pool with T.S.P. or strong soap, with a scrub brush, to remove body oils. Acid treat the concrete/pool surface with a mix of acid & water 50-50 and rinse well, using a brush.
Dry in the sun for 3 to 4 days. Test dryness by taping a 16” x 16” plastic sheet to the bottom of the pool for half a hour, in the sun, and check for moisture on the bottom of the plastic. If dry, proceed to next step.
For patches and new cement, thin the epoxy with 15% to 20% of thinner and paint the raw surfaces. This acts as a primer/sealer for the next coat of paint. We recommend TROPICAL brand industrial epoxy and follow the mixing directions on the can. Also, buy the epoxy at a large ferreteria like Ochoa or Americana that sells large volumes of paint because epoxy has a short shelf life. We highly suggest using White or Sand color in pools with with a Blue tile line.
Cut in (detail) the tile edges and around fittings first, and then use a good lambskin 9” roller, with ?” nap. Remember, the first coat will use much more paint than subsequent coats.
Next day, paint the first full coat of Epoxy in late afternoon to avoid the sun from drying the wet epoxy too fast and creating small bubbles. *** For slip resistant steps and stairs, immediately after painting the first coat of epoxy, sprinkle a fine coat of dry pool sand over the steps.
Next day, and within 24 hours, (before the paint is fully cured) apply the second full coat of epoxy in the late afternoon as to avoid the sun from drying too fast and creating small bubbles.
Let the pool dry for 4 days in the sun before filling. Filling sooner will prevent the epoxy from curing to its full hardness and prematurely pealing. If rain occurs, drain and dry the pool in order that the epoxy fully cures.
Once the pool is full and operating, maintain normal chlorine and water balance.
Put chlorine in the skimmer, not in the pool or on the new paint.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Do it RIGHT, THE FIRST TIME. These are the directions from the pool store Pro-Source Caribe, in front of Ocean Village, Sosua;

Steps for cleaning and painting a pool
Remove all of the loose and flaking paint.
Remove main drain cover and injectors. Remove lights from niches and place them on the pool deck.
Repair and patch any rough surfaces. A smooth surface yields the best paint job. DO NOT polish the surface with a power grinder.
Clean the pool with T.S.P. or strong soap, with a scrub brush, to remove body oils. Acid treat the concrete/pool surface with a mix of acid & water 50-50 and rinse well, using a brush.
Dry in the sun for 3 to 4 days. Test dryness by taping a 16” x 16” plastic sheet to the bottom of the pool for half a hour, in the sun, and check for moisture on the bottom of the plastic. If dry, proceed to next step.
For patches and new cement, thin the epoxy with 15% to 20% of thinner and paint the raw surfaces. This acts as a primer/sealer for the next coat of paint. We recommend TROPICAL brand industrial epoxy and follow the mixing directions on the can. Also, buy the epoxy at a large ferreteria like Ochoa or Americana that sells large volumes of paint because epoxy has a short shelf life. We highly suggest using White or Sand color in pools with with a Blue tile line.
Cut in (detail) the tile edges and around fittings first, and then use a good lambskin 9” roller, with ?” nap. Remember, the first coat will use much more paint than subsequent coats.
Next day, paint the first full coat of Epoxy in late afternoon to avoid the sun from drying the wet epoxy too fast and creating small bubbles. *** For slip resistant steps and stairs, immediately after painting the first coat of epoxy, sprinkle a fine coat of dry pool sand over the steps.
Next day, and within 24 hours, (before the paint is fully cured) apply the second full coat of epoxy in the late afternoon as to avoid the sun from drying too fast and creating small bubbles.
Let the pool dry for 4 days in the sun before filling. Filling sooner will prevent the epoxy from curing to its full hardness and prematurely pealing. If rain occurs, drain and dry the pool in order that the epoxy fully cures.
Once the pool is full and operating, maintain normal chlorine and water balance.
Put chlorine in the skimmer, not in the pool or on the new paint.

Great job for a more detailed manual concerning re-painting your pool. It come down to prep work and Bob added in a couple other steps that should be done. Having some good drying time IS very important.

Just about everything is provided here for anyone that needs to re-paint their pool.

For everyone except jr. (sarcastic... sort of?) But jr never asked for the whole job... just about how much a can of pool paint is but ... he already knows how much a can costs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.