Rent a car vs taxis the whole week.

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
Can anyone tell me which would be better??

We are staying in Cofresi and will be going to Sosua, Cabarete, and Playa Grande at least. Maybe even farther than that. We usually rent a car, but that's for 2wks. This time we are only going a week and not sure if we should rent a car or just do taxis. Any suggestions?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certianly the Plya Grande trip by taxi will be a big one..... and frequent Sos/Cab trips will add up.

Isn't the flexibility of your vehicle a nice plus too ??

It sounds like you may want to wander further, a car is better for that - go where you want to, stop when you want to.

Take the car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They said they normally rent for 2 weeks... so, in one week, 50% less chance of an accident - Right?

I'm no actuary, but.........

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
We have driven in DR before. And if we rent, we will get the insurance coverage from the rental company. I'm trying to decide if it's worth all the expense.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I would rent. Tourist taxis are a rip off.

How much have you been quoted for a week's rental?

A round trip taxi from Cofresi to Cabarete will be at least 80 dollars, possibly more.

drfan4

Sep 27, 2012
I just did the reservation...it's $378 for a mid size SUV. Since there's 4 adults and lots of luggage, we needed the bigger size. If we had gone with a full size car, we'd probably still end up with a taxi to and from the airport to Cofresi. So this way hopefully we can avoid that cost.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
i am travelling with my wife and two kids for vacation into POP going to lifestyles crown villas. how much will a taxi cost me each way, with luggage?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
for 378 hope that includes the insurance and thats the only problem with renting paying so much to make sure the car is safe and any other car you might hit but renting would be better if you planing to be going to a lot of different places

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i am travelling with my wife and two kids for vacation into POP going to lifestyles crown villas. how much will a taxi cost me each way, with luggage?

shouldn't be no more than 20 each way. i wouldn't advise this but some times i will walk out the air port head left to la union and catch the taxi straight to sosua. i took the motorcycle with my bag and laptop bag to the hotel

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I just did the reservation...it's $378 for a mid size SUV. Since there's 4 adults and lots of luggage, we needed the bigger size. If we had gone with a full size car, we'd probably still end up with a taxi to and from the airport to Cofresi. So this way hopefully we can avoid that cost.

Split four ways, that less than $100 per person, or about $14 per day each, not including gas (which will run you around $6/gallon). Assuming each person contributes one gallon of gas money per day each, you're at $20. That's a pretty good deal for "go anywhere, anytime" flexibility.

May 29, 2006
shouldn't be no more than 20 each way. i wouldn't advise this but some times i will walk out the air port head left to la union and catch the taxi straight to sosua. i took the motorcycle with my bag and laptop bag to the hotel

$20 for four people and luggage to an AI? Good luck with that..

Maxwell Gold

Jan 5, 2013
I am an owner with Lifestyle, there should be free transport from POP to the resort. Contact the resort for info.