An adventure in DR

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have been living on and off in Santo Domingo for the past couple of years and have recently bought myself a property in the Colonial Zone. I thought it would be fun to write a blog about the renovation project as it needs a lot of work and also what it is like living over here. Only have a few posts as its the start of the project but here you go:

A new adventure in the Dominican Republic

I thought it was about time I contributed something to this forum as it has been a lot of help to me so far.

C

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your wife is a beautiful "Dominicana", and you ain't half bad either!!!!
Good luck with the house.
I expect you to host a "DR1" house warming bash when you are done!!!!!
I hope you can help Robert find a girl like your wife for him!
Cris Colon

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i totally agree! your wife is a cute little piece of meat! and so are you! :) :) :)
best of luck with the renovation. looks like a major job but i am sure it will be beautiful.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Good luck with your renovation. It sounds like a project which will give you lots of material for your blog. Have you started getting your residencia yet? Best of luck, we look forward to more entries on your blog and welcome to DR1.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Looks like the place has tremendous potential!
I envy you. Best of luck!
i'm going to bookmark and follow your adventure... fyi the font is pretty tiny on an ipad!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is an English guy who has done the same - renovated a shell of a Colonial building in the Colonial Zone, with all the headaches it entailed. I am sure he would be more than happy to run through it with you - he is nearly finished now - could save you a few pesos and headaches.

Sanchez Santo Domingo - Home away from Home

Matilda

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Chris this was beautiful I did not get a chance to read everything, but the fotos are wonderful. Great choice in choosing the Colonial Zone one of the best places in DR. GOOD LUCK !!!! with everything.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Just read your blog..Please continue to keep us updated on your progress. Sounds like a very interesting adventure. Can't wait to read about your progress.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Great post..as you know in Mexico (Merida) is very popular (and cost effective) to bring up this colonial's to current standards.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Thanks everyone, yes it is a huge project and cant wait to get started. Hopefully I will be ready to start the permit process by the end of the week to get the ball rolling.

Abuela - my residencia? Not yet, it is one of those things I have kept on putting off but I have heard that i can get it in 45 days as part of the foreign investment incentive they have here. I will do it soon though...

Thanks Matilda - will get in touch

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As you go ahead with this VERY difficult project, please remember this question!
How Does a Foreign Investor Leave The Dominican Republic with One Million Dollars????????????????
He comes to the DR with TWO!
You might send a "PM" to "Chip" here on DR1. He has a lot of building experience here.
Like "Permits","Laws", Insurance, costs,building "Do's & Don'ts",
I think he can help you.
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chrisdr, I'm enjoying your blog. I know the Zona quite well and I've been trying to work out exactly which house it is!

A word of advice from a fellow blogger: you should post links to your new blog posts here on this thread in DR1. Most people will go straight to the last post in the thread and may not realise they have to scroll up to your OP for the link.

A new adventure in the Dominican Republic: Plans... check / Clearing... check