car rental

G

Gary

hi ive had conflicting reports on driving whils in the republic
is it safe to do so has anyone go any advice
what sort of prices should i expect to pay

M

Marc

The prices will vary on where you go, but pay very close attention to the insurance deductible that you will be responsible for. They almost always have insurance included, but the deductible can be as high as $2500USD (or higher?). When we rent, we get a little Sidekick or something similar in Sosua, and pay about $800RD per day after all taxes, and the insurance premium is much more reasonable (can't remember exactly how much, it has been a while). This gives us avehicle that we can take on any road we would care to drive on, and peace of mind.

There are far cheaper rental cars, but with the way that people drive around here, and the amount of fender benders that we see...we find it worth the extra money per day to not be responsible for the first $2500USD.

Good luck!

C

Canadian Bob

Gary, avoid driving at night whenever possible,There are many motorbikes without tail lights and often cattle & horses.Be sure to check that the vehicle has (working) seatbelts as the police are now fining those who do not use them and inspect the vehicle for damage with the rental agency & get it in writing before you drive it. You will find that many Dominican (& other) drivers are very "macho" and drive with little regard for others on the road, happy driving!! Canadian Bob.

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

DON'T RENT A CAR ! !

I've been living here for 5 years. I think that Canadian Bob is rendering sound advice. Other suggestions: don't drive unless you have to; better to rent a car & driver every other or every 3rd day. Rent from a reputable [ie American] company & use a USA credit card. The credit card bank will usually pay the deductible, but check 1st. If there's a problem, you'll have some leverage with your bank. Never, ever, ever drive at night. It' simply suicidal; 1/2 the Dominicans drive with the high beams on all the time at night; the other 1/2 drive with no lights on at night. 1/2 of the Dominicans driving cars have no operator's license; 90% of the Dominicans driving motor cycles have no license. If you enjoy a drink or 2, you might then drive; operating under the influence of alcohol is not a crime in La Republica. People frequently walk in large or small on the edges of the road at night, even late at night.. Many motocycles & scooters have no lights that work & are invisible at night. Farm animals running wild are an occasional problem. Some Dominicans drive on the left hand side of the road, day or night, if it's more convenient! If there's a serious accident, a foreigner will nearly always be arrested, regardless of circumstances, negligence, or fault. Much better to hire a car & driver at night. Driving here is like a giant game of 'bumper cars'; if you know what they are. Enjoy.

J

Joachim

Re: DON'T RENT A CAR ! !

I can substanciate your advice. My suggestion if you need to go to the capital take a taxi, they will wait for you and take you where ever you want to go. Better to pay for a taxi waiting than pay later for a traffic accident. Good advice.

D

DR1

Your decision to rent a car will depend on what you want to get done. Renting a car is the way to go if you want to see lots of the North Coast or the East, for example. What is most important is to drive on the defensive at all times, and yes, avoid driving at night. National Car Rental allows you to insure their deductible.