Am I Being Lied To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I have a friend who helps me with the groceries and I buy diapers and milk for his baby. Earlier this year he signed a contract though Orange. After two months he realized he couldn't afford all the bells and whistles of having Internet, etc on his phone and cut it off. The balance of what he used was paid to Orange. Everything seemed fine.

Now he is saying (3 months later) that a lawyer keeps calling insisting that he has to pay 2800 pesos and that he will not be able to get a job if he doesn't as the jobs will see that he had signed contract with Orange and couldn't fulfill it. He is of course is asking me for the money. I am suspicious.

What do you guys think?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Why not go down to the Orange store directly with him, and look at the bill yourself--verify if it is true or not. This is what i would do, and its what any smart dominican would do in your same situation. whatever you do, do not hand cash money to someone without verifying what they are telling you is true or not.

...And one more thing, never, ever just hand some unemployed dominican cash and expect it is going to whatever excuse they are giving you.

FRank

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I have a friend who helps me with the groceries and I buy diapers and milk for his baby. Earlier this year he signed a contract though Orange. After two months he realized he couldn't afford all the bells and whistles of having Internet, etc on his phone and cut it off. The balance of what he used was paid to Orange. Everything seemed fine.

Now he is saying (3 months later) that a lawyer keeps calling insisting that he has to pay 2800 pesos and that he will not be able to get a job if he doesn't as the jobs will see that he had signed contract with Orange and couldn't fulfill it. He is of course is asking me for the money. I am suspicious.

What do you guys think?

Orange puts people up in Data Credito if they have some balance pending; I know this lady who was put up there for only a $15 peso balance, so what your friend is saying might be true. I don't know, though, if that will prevent him from getting a job, because not all employers check people's credit.

Anyway, I'd go with him to Orange to find out the truth. If you can't go with him, make him give you his cedula number and account/contract info so you can call yourself.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Total crap. Half of the Dominicans living here owe money to companies. You really think because a guy owes $70 to Orange he can never work here again?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Strange that after 3 months the lawyer knows at what number to reach him.

If he's asking you to lend him the money and he'll pay you back when he gets a job,forget it! you'll never see it.It happened to me a few times until I learned that to lend in the DR
really means to give.

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

What do you guys think?
Of course he is asking you for the money who else what he ask? I remember you I think you live in Colonial Zone no? Make your friend UNDERSTAND you have a budget just like everyone else. If you do not correct this it can become very dangerous.

BTW If it turns out to be not true about the phone bill, this guy is no longer friend.

aguas

Feb 7, 2010

What do you guys think?

To answer your post question, YES!! YOU ARE BEING LIED TO. You said, you are suspicious. Your suspicious mind is correct. I suspect that you are a nice, caring, compasionate person who probably will not be able to sleep at night at the very thought that you might be able to solve someone's problem, and chose not to.

Unfortunately for you, your friend, that you have already been buying diapers and milk for, also knows this. Since you know he is lying to you, but you are too nice to tell him, NO. Just lie to him, and tell him, you do not have the money.

No matter what questions you ask him about that bill, he will have some b/s answer or explanation for you. BE STRONG.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Was he lying??
Just one question,
"Were His Lips Moving"????????????????????
Believe you me, "Back-In-The-Day", I USED to help every Dominicano with a "Good Story", MOST of us did.
"Sick",mother,father,child,husband. brother, sister,them!
Rent,tuition,food, celular,if they can think it up, they will ask you for it!
You just need to step back and ask yourself a few questions.
Would you even be considering giving money to people who are really nothing more than strangers at worst, accuantences at best, in your home country???
Who did they ask before you came along?
What makes you think you need to be responsible for their poor decisions?
Now don't get me wrong, I got a ton of Good P##sy" when I was the "Go To Guy" for dozens of young "Dominicanas".
So unless the guy gives you Great H##d" stop handing over your money.
And, there are millions of Dominicans who actually buy their own "Leche" and "Pamper"!
He had the kid,NOT YOU!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Giving money is very unwise. It is best to set the bar now. Say no. Even if it is true it isnt your problem.
and stop buying pampers thats effin pathetic.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~I understand that you want to help your friend, however this time its sounds like he's taking advantage of your good hearted nature!!

~Seems as if you barter with him for services...ie he shops for you and in return you buy diapers for his child?? Perhaps put a value on each shopping trip and give him the monetary amount for what the shopping is worth....at least you are getting your service needs fullfilled...and he's getting something for it other then diapers....Just don't do both....tell him its in lieu of diapers till his "Orange"??? bill??? gets paid....???? I am sure he will come up with another excuse...they have a million of them!!

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I think anyone who has lived here for any time can tell you all the sob stores they have heard and 99% are lies. They want other to take responsibility for all their problems and not themselves. As soon as they take responsibility they no longer bother gringos

Dec 26, 2011
If only there was a way to always know the truth. But there isn't. At times we suffer for being too trusting. At times we suffer for not trusting enough. Live truthfully yourself and that's all you can do. The rest always comes to light and there are always natural consequences for breaching trust.

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
I am having a little problem understanding the relationship with your friend.

I have a lot of friends, but so far I have never had any of them pay for my groceries. Yes, sometimes if we go out for a beer or for lunch I pay for lunch one time, another time they pay, but I have yet to have one pay for my groceries. Similarly, I have yet to find one that would ask me to pay for his kids. Yes, I?ll give my friends hand me down toys or clothing from my kids, but unless it is a birthday, I generally do not give money to other parents. My friends? kids are the responsibility of my friends? and their wives? and not mine nor my wife?s. Why are you giving him and his wife money for their kid? Just exactly what is going on?

Answer these basic questions, and then you?ll understand how you should proceed with your original query.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

What do you guys think?

He buys groceries and you buy diapers and milk....... is there a winner?
The problem is, that smart phones are often smarter than their users! :(
If one cannot afford internet don't use it.
I have friends with smart phones that do not use the internet bluetooth option.
Just go to the colmado when you have money and and buy a card for 50 or 100 Pesos and use till you run out.

If it makes you feel good to donate do so. :classic:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
No longer am I amused by such scams.

What annoys me are grown men and women letting themselves be hoodwinked by Dominicans who sit around all day plotting such stories because they think everyone is stupid.

A grown-ass man doesn't need someone else buying him milk and diapers for HIS child. That's where the OP began messing up. After he/she began doing that, there is no going back.

KJS73, you've already compromised yourself needlessly, so what's another couple of thousand pesos to keep looking foolish?

Just give up the money and get it over with. As for the question at hand, if you must ask if this person is lying to you, you NEED to pay the money, because you obviously don't have the sense to tell.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
No longer am I amused by such scams.

What annoys me are grown men and women letting themselves be hoodwinked by Dominicans who sit around all day plotting such stories because they think everyone is stupid.

A grown-ass man doesn't need someone else buying him milk and diapers for HIS child. That's where the OP began messing up. After he/she began doing that, there is no going back.

KJS73, you've already compromised yourself needlessly, so what's another couple of thousand pesos to keep looking foolish?

Just give up the money and get it over with. As for the question at hand, if you must ask if this person is lying to you, you NEED to pay the money, because you obviously don't have the sense to tell.

Preach on Berzin!! I agree with you 1000%.

1000an

Nov 28, 2007
Here, when you lend money they don't see you as a good person, but as a ''pendejo'' and will be coming back over and over again asking for more.

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008

What do you guys think?

KJS73, since you sound like a great guy, I have a proposition for you. I currently own three bridges in Manhattan and I don't collect tolls because NYC have made me lots of money. My great great great grandchildren can live like a kings and queens in NY and will not able to spend all the money the city has made me. I am no longer healthy and I don't think my young child can handle this and my wife is too dumb to take care of it all. I am willing to give you one of my bridge called Brooklyn Bridge and you can start collect tolls if you wish or have city pay you in lump sum yearly as like I had been getting. I was going to give it to you for free but as a sign of good friendship. I want you to give me signed blank check to your current bank accounts. I'll send a guy to pick it up if you agree.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.