partt 2 of Am i lying?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I t is beyond me why the moderator closed the original thread without various answers.
1 all Orange Inernet contract are for 18 months.
2. after several months I became highly dissatisfied with their service.
3. I told them and they refused to terminate the contract.
4. I continued to pay them each month of the contract until the 18 months expired.
5. I told the local Orange office that I did not accept their invitation to renew.
6. I was beseiged by telephone calls about renewal to which I replied that they must put it in writing, otherwise I woulds ignore everything.
Do the same . insist on everything in writing. I presume that because such a high proportion of our population is illerate they thing of using nothing but the telephone where deniability and misunderstanding is king. I suspect that most of the Orange operators do no know how to write either.
They've all gone away.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks granca! I am still skeptical. Regardless I can't afford to keep helping out a family for every problem they have. I guess they closed thread because I came to the concussion that my "friend" is lying. At the same time I think the topic is worthy of discussion. I know I'm not the only one who becomes friends with someone here and then ends up being asked for money. Though it might be clear it's a lie it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt a little if you've grown to care about that person.

Comments that just ridicule someone for asking a question seem out of place. Not everyone on this thread has lived here for decades. I thought this was a place to come and discuss all kinds of situations that might come up in DR. Some people are new here and are experiencing these situations for the first time.

Other than constant possibility of being lied to (some expats are even worse than the locals at deceit), DR has been great. I love working here and won't let this person or put downs on here deter me.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Please do not drop your Orange services. I need the 14% div they pay each year.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I just changed my phone and internet plan from Claro to Multiplan with cable, faster internet and more phone minutes. They told me we would have to go and sign first at an office before they can effectuate the change and bring the settop boxes and change the internet speed. Fine by us. A week passed by in which my wife wasn't able to pass by the Claro office to sign and suddenly Claro calls they are coming to install the settop box and they changed our internet speed to 6mb. I can't wait till the moment that we decide again that cable isnt worth the cost and will ask to cancel it and they will tell us that we signed for a 18 month contract and have to wait it out (as they did last year when we canceled the cable). Show me the signature and I will stay for 18 months!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Claro Sucks

2. after several months I became highly dissatisfied with their service.

Interesting.
What was it in particular that made you unhappy?

Although it is not the internet service (which we use a satellite dish for) we are thinking about changing our telephone service (from Claro) to Orange.
I think not only are they cheaper but also have other advantages (credit points, regular offers, etc.)
Is this not so?

donP

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks granca! I am still skeptical. Regardless I can't afford to keep helping out a family for every problem they have. I guess they closed thread because I came to the concussion that my "friend" is lying. At the same time I think the topic is worthy of discussion. I know I'm not the only one who becomes friends with someone here and then ends up being asked for money. Though it might be clear it's a lie it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt a little if you've grown to care about that person.

Comments that just ridicule someone for asking a question seem out of place. Not everyone on this thread has lived here for decades. I thought this was a place to come and discuss all kinds of situations that might come up in DR. Some people are new here and are experiencing these situations for the first time.

Other than constant possibility of being lied to (some expats are even worse than the locals at deceit), DR has been great. I love working here and won't let this person or put downs on here deter me.

The more friends you make the more problems you will invite. Do you still live in the Colonial Zone? It comes with the being a gringo in Colonial Zone people will ask you for money. You are still new to Santo Domingo and Dominicans are still testing you to see how far they can go.

Dominicans do not see lying a bad thing like Americans mainly when money is part of the equation. One thing to keep in mind always keep NYC and the USA a strong part of your life in DR. Call your friends and family in the USA often and offer them to come visit you in Santo Domingo. If Dominicans believe they are the "root of your happiness" they will use this to their advantage everytime. I have witnessed many people lose their way in Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico because they followed a dream and blew up the bridge back home, so their friends and family could not help them.

Remember always keep in contact with your friends and family back home, because that island will CHANGE you, and it will be up to your American friends to remind you who you are, and not just a $$$ sign.

Enjoy your day!!! and God Bless The United States of America.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It was their internet service (or lack of it) that was so abysmal. I have no quarrel with their telephone service.