Renew or New Residencia and Cedula

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
I wanted to tell you about my experience in renewing my Residencia and Cedula which I started over two years ago with a number of trips to Santo Domingo and also having to pay all fines which all together cost me a lot of money. My representative I employed to do the work kept me waiting for over 2 years and every time I asked to find out what was going on was always given a negative response. Due to the upcoming changes in the Dominican Republic and the reported new stronger policy on illegal residents, I decided to look for a Dominican who would have more influence in getting things done in Santo Domingo and was recommended Rafael who I have known for many years and is a very nice guy and speaks very good English. Well he was incredible at sorting the whole thing out and the mess from my previous failed attempt and due to my lost residency card also which I had handed over to my last representative two years previously. He had the whole thing cleared up and by the end of the day we were on our way back to Sosua with a brand new residencia card in my wallet. We did go on the same day to get my new Cedula but the office where unable to give me a new one on that day to a problem with the printer or something but I have been back and sorted that out on my own which is very easy and you don't need anyone to guide you to do that. I am so pleased at how the whole procedure went that I have asked Rafael if I could tell everyone about my good experience I have had using Rafael and if I could have a friend post a information page with contact details for Rafael which he agreed to. Here is a link to a web page for Rafael. Link:) www.dominicanpropertysoldbyowners.com/HelpfulInformation.html

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It's great that you took things on your own and got the job done.............
Now your legal.............doesn't it feel good.........

B in Santiago

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It's great that you took things on your own and got the job done.............
Now your legal.............doesn't it feel good.........

B in Santiago

Maybe? That report sure doesn't sound like what everyone else is reporting. How did the OP manage to renew his residencia and cedula in one day? What about the new requirement of taking a physical and a guarantor.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
from the website linked in the original post...
"My name is Rafael and I know a lot of people how have problems renewing residency cards or even obtaining the first one. Well, I am able to go direct into the back office in the immigration department and deal directly to sort out your renewal or your new residency plus any other paperwork required. All of the above don't include transportation which will be by bus when going to Santo Domingo."

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Maybe? That report sure doesn't sound like what everyone else is reporting. How did the OP manage to renew his residencia and cedula in one day? What about the new requirement of taking a physical and a guarantor.

In the time his previous representative was doing "some" work, maybe those items were already submitted........

B in Santiago

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
Boy it is so good to have it again and I feel so much better. After the first attempt which really made me want to give up and my representative was blaming the system here, I really wanted to give up on the whole thing and after spending so much money. Then to find out that it is not the people in the immigration office but your representative which is the problem when they are quick to take your money with no results. This experience was like a breath of fresh air with the only main problem was the early morning bus broke down on route. To be legal is fantastic and also to have a Dominican Drivers license is the icing on the cake.
For your peace of mind, go the legal route and save yourself a whole load of possible problems

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
In the time his previous representative was doing "some" work, maybe those items were already submitted........

B in Santiago
Why would the previous person submit a physical exam report and letter of guarantor when it wasn't required until August 1 of this year?

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
Yes I am sure some thing where already completed but after two years I did not have to start all over again like I have been told but we had all the new paperwork ready when we went down to Santo Domingo which did take a day or two to sort out here.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Boy it is so good to have it again and I feel so much better. After the first attempt which really made me want to give up and my representative was blaming the system here, I really wanted to give up on the whole thing and after spending so much money. Then to find out that it is not the people in the immigration office but your representative which is the problem when they are quick to take your money with no results. This experience was like a breath of fresh air with the only main problem was the early morning bus broke down on route. To be legal is fantastic and also to have a Dominican Drivers license is the icing on the cake.
For your peace of mind, go the legal route and save yourself a whole load of possible problems

Could you please give an explanation on bigbirds questions on post # 3 & 7...........
It would help clear things up.............

B in Santiago

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
Why would the previous person submit a physical exam report and letter of guarantor when it wasn't required?
I did not have to redo the physical exam but the rest of the paperwork was new including a police report for my lost residencia card thanks to my last representative.

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
I also was unable to get both in one day due to a problem at the office that deals with the Cedula but I have been back by myself and had my Cedula renewed now.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thank you...............

B in Santiago
The OP report sounds more like he "replaced" a lost residence card and not "renewed" a residence card because the physical exam is only valid for thirty days (according to my reputable lawyer). Having read most of the recent reports and currently going through the renewal process myself you MUST take a physical exam and provide a letter of guarantor, neither of which the OP did.

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
The OP report sounds more like he "replaced" a lost residence card and not "renewed" a residence card because the physical exam is only valid for thirty days (according to my reputable lawyer). Having read most of the recent reports and currently going through the renewal process myself you MUST take a physical exam and provide a letter of guarantor, neither of which the OP did.

I had a renew as my one ran out in in 2007 so I was a renew and yes I did have a new guarantor, as I said that I had to take all new paperwork down with me which we did on the day I was given my new residence card.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I had a renew as my one ran out in in 2007 so I was a renew and yes I did have a new guarantor, as I said that I had to take all new paperwork down with me which we did on the day I was given my new residence card.

So what did it cost? How much was your fine for late renewal? The spam contained in your post mentions cost of services and implies only additional charge is transportation. So you are trying to tell us the listed prices include government fees.

Most important which may clear up matters is when did you do this?

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
I had a renew as my one ran out in in 2007 so I was a renew and yes I did have a new guarantor, as I said that I had to take all new paperwork down with me which we did on the day I was given my new residence card. I had also taken a physical exam twice before with my old lawyer but it shows that if you get the right person it makes it painless You could also do it yourself if you could find the time and have the list of requirements which you can get no problem. If you need to get some extra paperwork which I did on the day, the local taxi drivers know exactly where to go to get it when lawyers from the North Coast don't and tend to let you come back home to work on the missing paperwork. This you must bear in mind will not apply to all missing paperwork but you will be surprised how much you can get done, and with little effort but a little cash.

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
The fine was about RD$12,000 and I paid Rafael his costs which is on the link, bus return trip to Santo Domingo, the lawyer for the guarantor letter, a police report from Puerto Plata, a few taxi rides in Santo Domingo and VIP. Far cheaper then when I first started trying to get a renewal.

miozio

May 23, 2009
The fine was about RD$12,000 and I paid Rafael his costs which is on the link, bus return trip to Santo Domingo, the lawyer for the guarantor letter, a police report from Puerto Plata, a few taxi rides in Santo Domingo and VIP. Far cheaper then when I first started trying to get a renewal.

Are you Rafael?

Thegreenguy

Dec 12, 2011
No, and a lot of people know me and know me has the Green Guy. I am from the UK and Rafael is Dominican last time I saw him.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......................If you need to get some extra paperwork which I did on the day, the local taxi drivers know exactly where to go to get it when lawyers from the North Coast don't and tend to let you come back home to work on the missing paperwork............
Why did you have missing paperwork especially considering how knowledgeable Rafael is. Plus isn't Rafael able to "go into the back office" and resolve all matters? You caught public transportation from the north coast, ran around the city to get additional paperwork, obtained your residence card, all of this in one day? Just for clarification the medical exam that you took twice was in Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata?