Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default shipping luxury motorbike to DR; TAXES ; COSTS ETC

Hi
    im thinking of shipping my motorbike (which would be classed as a luxury item) from the US to my residence in the DR. Its value is $15000.00us
    I have permanent residency?
    Has anyone done this?
    if i have all documents to prove its value will that be of assistance, potentially freeing me from customs wanting more taxes paid etc?
    rate of tax?

cost to transfer from Miami, via ship?

Any other pitfalls.

cheers hope someone can help

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Figure on paying around 53+% plus shipping on the current retail value.

Figure on doing the scrounging for parts and wrenching yourself.

3. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sell it!
    You will have some money to spend, AND, you may live to spend it!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

5. Likes siegs, frank12, MikeFisher liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

if its a custom bike. And i have all retail documents listing its purchase price, is this the information customs will base their 53% tax on.??? many thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Figure on paying around 53+% plus shipping on the current retail value.

Figure on doing the scrounging for parts and wrenching yourself.

if its a custom bike. And i have all retail documents listing its purchase price, is this the information customs will base their 53% tax on.??? many thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Taxes are calculated on the retail value as determined by DGII in their version of a "blue book." If you tell them about all the customizations you will just have to pay more so I'd keep mum on those.

Oh yeah, if they are really cool looking customizations that can be removed and might look cool on a Dominican moto you may loose them in transit.

I would remove them and ship them as "parts" in a separate shipment to reassemble when they get here.

9. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by niceguy View Post

The highest value they can justify. It rarely will work in your favor.

Consider hiring an import agent.

11. Likes frank12, DRob liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Find a car importer... a bike is still a vehicle and they know the boys "on the dock".

Pay them a fee to get a lower assessment and smooth importing.

Just an Idea

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

did you build the bike ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

my Dad took care about my own Custom Built Bike back home for 3 years+ when I settled down here on the Isle, then I understood that it will be much cheaper (and of course much more hasslefree) to build a new Custom down here than to bring the own one over here. I sold the Bike at home but never started a new one down here.
    my bike showed in the Papers(Matricula) at home My Name as the Builder/Brand, so it would not have shown up on any Blue Book, means they would take a superexpensive Bike from their Blue Book and add for my Unique one some "Extra Value", simply not worth it.
    btw,
    as a Bikler, spend some Time here on the Island in the Area where you plan to Live firstly, and decide Then if you still want to Bike on regular Bases and if a very expensively imported Custom Bike is needed for those ventures.

I finally decided that NOT.
    if I want to Bike I take a locally available Bike, simple Rent including Insurance etc, hassle free, inexpensive.
    I biked whole western Europe and most of northern Africa, very wide parts of the USA and the streets and surroundings in the DR where I live since 18years do not appeal to Bike around since many years, simply not worth it.

check it out here locally firstly and then make your decision, but do not bring your custom bike.
    if it's really worth 15K at home, sell it for 10K there and that save's you a lot of money, as you would never get not even 5K here on the Island for it.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast