Expats & Immigration

As an expatriate, where do you currently stand regarding the new immigration policy?

• I'm finally a Dominican citizen.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Since the new immigration protocol has been in place for over a month now, it would be interesting to know how DR1ers have dealt with this. Also, it would be interesting to know how many are opting for Dominican citizenship or how many will simply go through the requirements for maintaining their residency status, as well as how many will simply do nothing and will not leave the country vs those that are leaving.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I'm leaning towards becoming a dominican citizen. I will explore that path, and if it is as simple as it sounds, I'll take it.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I cannot ask for Dominican Citizenship because I am German and German's will loose their German Citizenship
in that case.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You have missed some out! Am a resident and will stay a resident. Am a resident but will be getting citizenship.

Matilda

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The second and third options cover those two scenarios.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The second and third options cover those two scenarios.

No, they don't. I have residency and I'm not sure yet if I will opt for citizenship. I might just renew, or become a citizen or go back to Europe (and it that case probably get citizenship first...)

Jan 17, 2009
It also covers permanent residents only. Those of us with provisonal, have seven years to comsider the citizenship issue,

And it doesn't cover I'm a resident but with the high costs of renewing a (permanent) provisional residency, I won't be renewing it!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No, they don't. I have residency and I'm not sure yet if I will opt for citizenship. I might just renew, or become a citizen or go back to Europe (and it that case probably get citizenship first...)
If you’re a resident and will stay a resident, that goes in ‘Have residency, but I will not opt for Dominican citizenship.’

If you’re a resident but will get citizenship, then it goes in the ‘I’m in the process of getting Dominican citizenship.’

Those were the two offered by Matilda.

Now your case merits no vote, since indecisive people have yet to make a decision (duh!). Imagine voting for a president, without first making a decision on who will get your vote. Result? No vote! :)

Its quite simple.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It also covers permanent residents only. Those of us with provisonal, have seven years to comsider the citizenship issue,
Are you currently in the process? Vote for the second one. Oh, you are still "considering?" Well, since the votes are meant to reflect a person's situation right now, makes perfect sense to vote for the third one.

Expat-in-Cabarete said:
And it doesn't cover I'm a resident but with the high costs of renewing a (permanent) provisional residency, I won't be renewing it!
The second to last option covers that!

This is too easy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think i have been brought up in respect (if not "fear") of the law. i cannot imagine living somewhere without any legalizing my status.
but citizenship? too much. i am a polak.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I cannot respond to your poll Nals, seems that is only possible per IP adress and not per user name and Belgiank has already responded...
But my answer is In the Process of getting Residency.

Acira