Sirius radio

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have read here that SIRIUS works in RD - I know that XM does not (did not a couple of years ago).

I have a new SIRIUS radio that attaches to a non SIRIUS car..... they sold it to me as a promotion. It comes with an external antenna.

My question is -
Should I activate in the US before leaving or wait and activate it in RD?
Has anybody done the RD activation? Are the satellites all compatible?

Thanks for any help you may offer.

WW

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I am pretty sure you need to activate in the US. I have a sonos system here (sonos.com) and it can connect with Sirrius. When I tried to activate a free trial, it wouldn't because of a geographical restriction. However, I have a Sirrius account in the USA and it works with the Sonos seamlessly here in the DR. Now I can stream sonos throughout the house. You can also stream Sirrius directly off the internet here with an US account. Do not know about reception here. Hope this helps.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I told them it was for the DR .... it can be activated by sirius.com or by phone.

Safer to do it in the US, maybe..... we'll see.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thx, this is already attached to my US account.

So you're telling me to jst install and activate on the SIRIUS website.

I had one of these in 2004 - that was the only way you could get XMin a car - it was pre the installed days.
Add-on only

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I installed the Sirius adaptor to the Kenwood unit in my car. I just copied the code of the device and registered it on the Sirius website using my EPS address in Miami with my UK credit card.

Works great!

Was a bit disappointed that I didn't get BBC radio 1 that they advertised on their website though. But nevertheless it beats constant bachata, merengue and regaton!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this sounds like it will work.

when I reg'd a new car unit the other day they offered me this deal for $19.99.... so I thought "why not?"

I agree about the music variety, beeza....

Sep 4, 2012
My vehicle came with SIRIUS installed from the factory and works here in DR as a charm. As long as the signal is good, no issues at all. I've also extended my subscription straight from my radio w/o having to be in the USA, all done from here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WYW
How did you activate it?
Was it a US car or an export model? If you understand what I'm asking,, my one car is anexport model - no catalytic convertor, etc

Gracias
WW

Sep 4, 2012
My vehicle was purchased in the USA and brought later to the DR. The SIRIUS radio was factory installed and services were free for certain amount of time. When my free subscription expired, the vehicle was already here. I resumed the subscription straight from the radio (is on the menu), all done through the satellite signal.

I still have the vehicle and the services working strong.

ps: you may also call SIRIUS (they don't need to know where you at at the moment) and request a signal be sent to your radio to subscribe or update a subscription. As long as you have satellite signal, you'd be fine.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My vehicle was purchased in the USA and brought later to the DR. The SIRIUS radio was factory installed and services were free for certain amount of time. When my free subscription expired, the vehicle was already here. I resumed the subscription straight from the radio (is on the menu), all done through the satellite signal.

I still have the vehicle and the services working strong.

ps: you may also call SIRIUS (they don't need to know where you at at the moment) and request a signal be sent to your radio to subscribe or update a subscription. As long as you have satellite signal, you'd be fine.

Separately here... you must have a story to tell about car importing.

Most of those free SIRIUS deals are for 1 yr..I have 2 on the go right now - how does a car that must be owned for a year prior to importation arrive with a 1yr SIRIUS free trial?

Either the trailexpired or the car came early or you werel ate starting the free trial....

Not being nosey, but car importing is a HUGE topic here....

Personally, I prefer the export cars..... but you must
have a story here.

We're 'all ears'.....:classic:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ah ,,, the old Gepetto trick..... my comment about the ears goes to the donkey, HUH?

Speaking of jackasses, I wonder how ole Eeyore is doing out there in Playa Chiquita?
eeyore8.gif

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look at you !!!

Two posts in a row..... the pills are working

No, not Eyeore... the donkey that the kid turned into in the movie....not Winnie the Pooh

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
NO NEED FOR SIRUS RADIO
I have a data plan on my Orange Android smartphone.
I use the free app TUNEIN RADIO.
A zillion radio stations from all over the world + music in every category + podcasts.
My phone plugs into my vehicle and speakers in my home.
FREE