Little black beetles

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
No matter how many polybags I wrap them in all my porridge oats, flour and other farinaceous foods continually get infested with these little black beetles. How can I stop them? I thought of screwtop containers but I can't find one to put the spaghetti in.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
No matter how many polybags I wrap them in all my porridge oats, flour and other farinaceous foods continually get infested with these little black beetles. How can I stop them? I thought of screwtop containers but I can't find one to put the spaghetti in.

I put in Zip freezer bags and place in freezer, never a problem.......never a bug...........:)

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i store all that stuff in the fridge: sugar, flour, pasta, rice, oats.... no bugs.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Beetles", are not getting "IN", they are already there!
They are "Grain Beetles".
They just "hatch" and grow in almost all "flour" products, as well as many other grains.
You have been eating them all your life.
Putting the product in the "freezer,or "Fridge" only keeps them from growing!
"Yum Yum"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If those little buggers can survive -10 degrees............
They deserve to live.........

B in Santiago

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Oh Cris Colon, I didn't know whether to laugh or just feel depressed, but thanks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Gorgojos

We use
2 x Spaghetti Vorratsgl?ser. Ca. 33 cm hoch
I remember having seen them in "Lindo" some time back.

As they are transparent you can see the cute little grain weevils crawling around, which is quite entertaining... :classic:

When we shop in "Punto Italia" the friendly Italian always checks the spaghetti for 'gorgojos' * and we make fun about the protein+ type...

donP

*)
Some say they cure diseases:
http://thepatriciaexperiment.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Unfortunately CC is correct. My brother's company in the USA hauls flour,oats,etc...and he has always told us of the stuff that is already in it..those little extras. The last bag of flour I bought I put it through a sifter before I stored it in the frig.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The "Beetles", are not getting "IN", they are already there!
They are "Grain Beetles".
They just "hatch" and grow in almost all "flour" products, as well as many other grains.
You have been eating them all your life.
Putting the product in the "freezer,or "Fridge" only keeps them from growing!
"Yum Yum"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

that's why the Freezer or Fridge Solution is the way to go.
you eat them anyways since ever, but you don't want to let tgem grow and eat them THEN!
half of my fridge here on the Island is stuffed with things I had my whole european life never in da Fridge,
it works

Mike