Flying into SD and bus to Cabarete

morlandg

Feb 20, 2007
We're thinking about flying from Madrid into Santo Domingo and taking the bus up to Cabarete the next day. Has anyone suggestions about which hotel to book which is near to the bus station? We can get a taxi from the airport to the hotel. TIA
Graham
BTW - where is the bus station in Santo Domingo?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are no buses to Cabarete. There are buses to Sos?a, which is a 20 minute taxi ride from Cabarete.
1) Is Caribe Tours
2) Is Metro Bus

Caribe Tours has more buses to Sos?a than Metro, so more convenient as far as getting there. However, their buses might make two or three or four stops on the way. No matter. Be prepared with at least a light sweater or jacket, they love air conditioning!! Metro is more luxurious, same a/c temps, but only two stops between Sto Dgo and Sos?a.

LOTS of nice hotels for a night's stay in Sto Dgo....use Search funcion for dozens of threads on that.

HB

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
For the hotels make sure you search online for best price as I called Hotel Santo Domingo for reservations and the said there was only 1 room left for $150 so I checked online and got the ocean view for $75

I was told that if I went to priceline I would have done better and could have stayed at the Hilton for the same price

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For one nite, it seems that some of the boutique hotels in town might be the ticket for travelers. Do the search, you will find some nice places to stay at very reasonable prices.

HB

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
For the hotels make sure you search online for best price as I called Hotel Santo Domingo for reservations and the said there was only 1 room left for $150 so I checked online and got the ocean view for $75

I was told that if I went to priceline I would have done better and could have stayed at the Hilton for the same price

That is true for some hotels, particularly chains, but not all. At my hotel, mom and pop type, we usually give a discount to anyone that calls or asks for a discount via email. We never raise our prices above the official asking rate except for Samana Santa weekend.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
There are no buses to Cabarete. There are buses to Sos?a, which is a 20 minute taxi ride from Cabarete.
1) Is Caribe Tours
2) Is Metro Bus
LOTS of nice hotels for a night's stay in Sto Dgo....

It seems no one has answered two items: The bus station, and hotels near it.
I haven't taken either bus...AFAIK, the bus station depends on the company...these are private ones and each has its own station...they both have reasonably helpful websites....Caribe Tours station [Av 27 de Febrero & Av Leopoldo Navarro] is near the Olympic Centre, (Barcelo Lina as well as Courtyard by Marriott seems moderately close to it), and the Metro Station is by Plaza Central [Av. Winston Churchill Esq. Francisco Prats Ram?rez] (Hotel Embajador is moderately close)...Then again, a normal taxi will take you from most hotels in SD proper to either station for a very modest fare (about USD5) so it doesn't matter much if your hotel is not in the immediate vicinity of the station. The recommended procedure is to call the taxi station and they send you a taxi (Apollo Taxi is a reliable one, but not the only one). "Touristic taxis" are more expensive but still reasonable.
Links:
Caribe Tours | Bienvenidos
http://www.metroserviciosturisticos.com/

Jan 17, 2009
Another hotel near Metro is the Holiday Inn Santo Domingo. I never stayed there, so I can't comment, but it's fairly close to Metro to be able to take a cab for about $5.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
That is true for some hotels, particularly chains, but not all. At my hotel, mom and pop type, we usually give a discount to anyone that calls or asks for a discount via email. We never raise our prices above the official asking rate except for Samana Santa weekend.

Sounds good , which hotel are you and what are your prices and ammeneties?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
You can do priceline and sometimes get the Marriott Courtyard for around $60 USD. We've taken the bus from Sosua, stayed there and then cabbed to the airport the next morning.

Noballs

May 27, 2012
I would ask every person on my plane where they are going and start asking them before boarding the plane in Spain, more people fly into SDQ rent a car and take the new road North to Cabarete and Sosua than you would think. Airfare and schedules into POP and STI are horrible from some destinations. Maybe even make your wife hold up a sign that says Cabarete on it. Another thought would be to ask the stewardess to ask on the intercom if your a bold type, or post your travel date and arrival time on this site.