breast cancer

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hi , I need some information on breast cancer .

how the treatment are good in DR ?
how much for treatment like chemotherapy or radiotherapy?
name of good doctor ?
we are currently waiting the result of biopsy of my mother-in-law. she live in dajabon city but the doctor she see is from a clinica of santiago ( coromina ?? spelling). thank for all the information you can give me.

Last edited:

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
hi , I need some information on breast cancer .

how the treatment are good in DR ?
how much for treatment like chemotherapy or radiotherapy?
name of good doctor ?
we are currently waiting the result of biopsy of my mother-in-law. she live in dajabon city but the doctor she see is from a clinica of santiago ( coromina ?? spelling). thank for all the information you can give me.

My aunt, who lived in Santiago, died in 2009 due to a cancer which started as breast cancer. It depends on how far along she is, your mother-in-law that is. The sooner they catch it the more chances she has. For my aunt they caught it very, very late. They were able to treat the cancer in her breast but very soon it spread to her bones and vital organs. She was paying like $15Kpesos every chemo treatment. Is there any way you can get her out of DR? EU or USA maybe?

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
I saw on the website for the hospital HOMS in Santiago they have a cancer center -- you could try there, looks like new equipment and it's suppose to be a high end hospital. God Bless your journey.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one of our ex workers had breast cancer. was operated and treated in oncoserv in santiago (clinica union). had an operation (lumps were extracetd from the breast) followed by chemo. i do not know what was the cost but i know she had whole family chip in to cover the treatment (chemo was not covered by insurance).

another, much younger woman who is our client had one breast removed and then an extensive radiotherapy.

my doctor in clinica union formly believes that all women over 35 should have mammografia every year even if there is no cancer history in the family. he also routinely checks breast of each patient, regardless of age and sends them for further screening if he feels something in the breast.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank you

we have now some more information .

the doctor first asked 30 000 pesos for each chemo and after talking with him he only ask for 8 000 pesos. do you think is for the same treatment or he give other one but not good as the first one ? my boyfriend tell me is the same but for me is hard to believe that reduce the cost at this point. this is common to do that in dr ? we still dont know if the insurance will pay.

dv8 the 2 woman you talk about are still alive today?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, they are both alive and well. both are from POP and were travelling to santiago for their treatments. both have been fine for few years now but get screened often (first once a month and now once every six months).

i think chemo should not be that expensive. in case your mother in law is short on cash she can seek treatment in a public hospital. she'll have to pay something but not much. a family friend (male) was treated in SD in public hospital for throat cancer and he managed. comes from a very poor family. also survived, so far.

wish you best of luck.