Another Inversor Question

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So I got my Inversor about a week ago thanks to Hillbilly's son Luis and his worker. Luis got me an new Inversor, 4 batteries, 3 KDK ceiling fans (1 brown and 2 white), and a few odds and ends of things to fix the wiring in my house (none of it was wired correctly for ceiling fans) for the price of what everyone told me only the Inversor and batteries would cost. So needless to say, I was happy.
Anyway, to the question....
They are coming to do the filter to my refrigerator so that we can get ice and water through the door. Right now I'm buying bag ice and placing it in the bin do at least the kids can get ice through the door. Problem is, I was told that to put the frig on the Inversor would be too much $$ and electricity and my lights go out at least once a day from 5 min-4 hours. Now when we try to get ice we can't because when the electricity goes out the ice starts to melt and then when the lights come back on the ice freezes back together into one huge extremely rock hard boulder of ice that of course, we cannot get through the door.
I would like to know if anyone has their frig hooked up to their Inversor and about how much their Edenorte bill runs. Expensive to some might be ok for another. I can't keep chipping off ice with a knife for the kids.

SHALENA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a separate inverter & 4 batteries just for the refrigerator, it's a 3.0, which is what we were told we needed for the fridge. Both of my husband's brothers have separate inverters just for their fridge/freezers too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
shalena, we have a fridge hooked up to the inversor but ours is 3.5 kw and we have 8 batteries. we also have a water pump and main gate motor wired up to work with inversor. our fridge makes water and ice too: btw, we had it connected to bottled water with a small pump.

in any case, the power goes off every day for few hours at a time. in all this time our inversor died twice, i think, after very bad blackout (16 hours or so). so i suggest you get more batteries (if your inversor allows that). and do it ASAP because it is not good, apparently, to connect another set of batteries later on.

our edenorte bill is about 2.500 pesos a month. no air con and one fan run at night, few sets of washing a week.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks for that info. I am going to ask Luis about it also, just wanted to make sure it wasn't some outrageous amount I was going to be looking at.

Also, with the filter, I think that's what they are doing for me also. Hooking it up to a botellon de agua.
Who did yours and how much?
The people from Corripio recommended this place and they are chargingme 8,000rd. Does that sound right?

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our fridge is a massive amana. it has an internal filter (brita) that you have to change once every 6-8 months. water bottle is hooked up to the fridge by the means of a small flojet pump. we have it inside one of the kitchen cupboards.
i cannot remember how much was the pump (it was years ago) but i see it on ebay at 80 dollars:
CWB1150B Water Dispensing System for Flojet BW4000A BW1000A | eBay
rax2ro.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here is how it looks in our fridge, sorry about the cat:
24des6c.jpg

i know we bought ours off the internet and then installed it ourselves, it's very easy.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Shalena...The other thing you have to take in to account is that on and off of the luz will fry your refri electronic tablet..and it will die on you (it happened to me)and..they are expensive (if you find one)

The best thing to do (as recomended) is to maintain a reliable (all the time) luz. The less on and off ...the longer your refri will last. And Lastly if you get large capacity batteries (deep cycle truck or marine type) the more energy you have stored through your solar panels or charging it with a small generator.
I would have a dedicated source for your refri. only..on all the time and when the luz return you charge the batteries with a small charger..and you are good to go with out hardly missing a beat

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
24des6c.jpg

i know we bought ours off the internet and then installed it ourselves, it's very easy.

Dv8..It looks like your cat is inspecting the intallation..was it done according to the Dominican plumbing codes??

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
So I got my Inversor about a week ago thanks to Hillbilly's son Luis and his worker. Luis got me an new Inversor, 4 batteries, 3 KDK ceiling fans (1 brown and 2 white), and a few odds and ends of things to fix the wiring in my house (none of it was wired correctly for ceiling fans) for the price of what everyone told me only the Inversor and batteries would cost. So needless to say, I was happy.
Anyway, to the question....
They are coming to do the filter to my refrigerator so that we can get ice and water through the door. Right now I'm buying bag ice and placing it in the bin do at least the kids can get ice through the door. Problem is, I was told that to put the frig on the Inversor would be too much $$ and electricity and my lights go out at least once a day from 5 min-4 hours. Now when we try to get ice we can't because when the electricity goes out the ice starts to melt and then when the lights come back on the ice freezes back together into one huge extremely rock hard boulder of ice that of course, we cannot get through the door.
I would like to know if anyone has their frig hooked up to their Inversor and about how much their Edenorte bill runs. Expensive to some might be ok for another. I can't keep chipping off ice with a knife for the kids.

SHALENA

I will be needing an invertor + batteries very soon. Could you share the brand inverter installed and the brand of the batteries? Also, could you share the cost? Thanks!

@dv8
Wow, that is awesome, I didn't know they had something like that. I have a fridge here in the US with a water dispenser and ice maker, I am going to ship it and was just thinking to myself how much of a shame it is going to be since I was not going to be able to use the water dispenser or ice maker down there.

So basically the way that works is that it connects directly to the water line that leads into the fridge?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
24des6c.jpg

I'm going to order it and see if either I can install it (that was a joke as I detest manual labor unless it involves an infant coming out of a vagina) or find someone to install it.
That seems a lot better than 8000rd

SHALENA

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Bags of ice from the colmado at 35 pesos are the solution. They keep just fine in the freezer.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I will be needing an invertor + batteries very soon. Could you share the brand inverter installed and the brand of the batteries? Also, could you share the cost? Thanks!

@dv8
Wow, that is awesome, I didn't know they had something like that. I have a fridge here in the US with a water dispenser and ice maker, I am going to ship it and was just thinking to myself how much of a shame it is going to be since I was not going to be able to use the water dispenser or ice maker down there.

So basically the way that works is that it connects directly to the water line that leads into the fridge?

I am in NYC working right now but I will be home on Wednesday. I will look and see what the brands are as I have no idea. I had budgeted 45,000rd for the Inversor/batteries as the majority of what I was hearing from DR1ers was that the Inversor would be between 17,000rd and 20,000rd and the batteries 5,000rd-6,000rd apiece. If you are in Santiago, I would suggest PMing Hillbilly because his son is a Contractor and they do this type of work. I don't know specifically but all I know is I handed him 45,000rd and we headed out and when I got home I had an Inversor, 4 Batteries, some huge iron thing that you put the batteries in to hook them onto the wall, 3 KDK fans, Light connections for the 3 fans (bombillos, and the globes that go over the bombillos), 6 Bombillos (the good ones that are almost 200rd a piece), a bunch of different kinds of wires, and various odds and ends ferreteria things that they saw that I needed when they came to my house. And I think he gave me either 400rd or 500rd in change back and of course all of the receipts and guarantarias. Of course, I had to sit in the car and wait at a couple of the stores because they know him and he gets good discounts but they would've not given him the discount had I gone in there with him in 4" heels and a COACH bag LOL. His worker installed everything and its all working fine and I just want to say that those KDK fans put out some air!!! I am buying the other 4 this week when I get back. His worker has been at my house while I'm here cleaning and repairing some hole or something that I have in the Cisterna. They also are going to do alot of other work for me as my house seems to have had the electricity done by a 5 year old. And I plan on buying this house next year, so I want to do everything now while I am renting and the money that I spend can be taken out of the rent. You cannot go wrong with Hillbilly's son Luis.
I will let you know what brand and everythign when I get back in a few days.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Bags of ice from the colmado at 35 pesos are the solution. They keep just fine in the freezer.

Thats what we do now, but did you not read my OP??? THE ICE FREEZES INTO A HARD BLOCK WHEN THE ELECTRICITY GOES OUT AND THEN COMES BACK ON....
R-E-A-D-I-N-G is fundamental :)

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
How many watts (or amps) does that thing draw?
Knowing that I'll have a better understanding what it does to your inverters and batteries.

donP

Ummmm....yeah....sooooo....
I have no idea, I'll have to get back to you on that!

SHALENA

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We run 2 larger refrigerators using a 3.5 kW inverter with 8 batteries. We also run two smaller refrigerators with a 1.5 kW inverter with 4 batteries. Those same two inverters also supply power to ceiling fans, TVs and lighting. Been running 4 apartments this way for for 10 years.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
@dv8 Wow, that is awesome, I didn't know they had something like that. I have a fridge here in the US with a water dispenser and ice maker, I am going to ship it and was just thinking to myself how much of a shame it is going to be since I was not going to be able to use the water dispenser or ice maker down there.

flowjet is basically a pump with a capped tube going inside the bottle. a fridge has its own set of pipes that are connected to the pump. voila, job done. the only problem is space. we had kitchen cabinets made and the design allowed space for the bottle and the pump. may be harder in a rented house and existing kitchen setup.
of course you need to change the bottle manually. and of course water making is somewhat limited, that is it will not sufficiently cool a whole jug of water in one go.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
We run 2 larger refrigerators using a 3.5 kW inverter with 8 batteries. We also run two smaller refrigerators with a 1.5 kW inverter with 4 batteries. Those same two inverters also supply power to ceiling fans, TVs and lighting. Been running 4 apartments this way for for 10 years.

How much is the bill usually?

SHALENA

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
How much is the bill usually?

SHALENA

Shalena; If you charge your batteries with solar panels..nada, but that can get expensive to install. The chepeast way is to do it with a small charger when power is restored, usually in a few hours after an apagon, that alone should maintain your batteries properly charged. A small generator would do if..power does not come back soon enough.
As you know invertors require repairs some times.