public swimming pools in DR ?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The nearest river is a dominican public swimming pool.

...It's also their BBQ pit, love-making sanctuary, health spa, urinal, washing machine, bathtub, and where many children were conceived.

Love Frank

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only "public" pool I can think of would be the one at the Centro Ol?mpico in Santo Domingo. There are other sports complexes around the country and if they have pools it would depend on the state of repair and maintenance.

Private Social clubs (e.g. Naco, Arroyo Hondo) in the capital and presumably elsewhere have proper swimming pools where people can train (semi-Olympic?). The Body Shop Gym has a rooftop pool for that purpose.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Are there ? Is it popular thing in DR ? for "sport" swimming...could be outdoor of course but still with lanes as sport swimming pool....
High end private gyms (say, Body Shop, in SD) and sports/social clubs (say, Club Naco, in SD) have them...There is also an Olympic swimming pool in the Olympic Centre in SD (and there may be others elsewhere) which is state-owned but mostly for athletes...you could inquire with the national swimming federation about facilities available throughout the country and their access policies (they may or may not be able to communicate in English):
Link: Federaci?n Dominicana de Nataci?n::FEDONA- - Contacto

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am pretty sure PUCMM in santiago has a big swimming pool. they do swimming classes for kids and adults. i do not know whether anyone can get in or they need to be affiliated with the university.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
HB has posted on the PUCMM pool a few times . I think he said you need to be a member and if i am not mastaking you need to pass a medical exam ! The hotel grand emerald has one dut again you need a membership . There are small pools in barrios that are overly chlorinated and everything Frank said about the river go's on at them as well . Next trip I am think about inquiring about a membership at the grand emeraldo pool as i well have more spare time on my hands .

Dec 26, 2011
IME, Dominicans will flock to rivers, streams, ponds and mud puddles where all the things Frank mentions take place. However they're grossed out by swimming pools where chlorine could potentially counteract some of the "contamination".

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
The PUCMM in Santiago has an olympic size pool complex and swimming programs for all levels and ages. No, you do not have to be affiliated with the PUCMM university.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
You have to pay 750 pesos one time fee, then 800 pesos every month. Then you have to do blood and urine analisis in some laboratory, got results stamped by PUCMM Departamento de Salud (LOL), then you have provide them foto and copy of your passport, and volia ! You can swim monday-friday between 6 pm to 8 pm :D
It's real privilege to swim in PUCMM...LOL....Going to swimming pool in Europe is sooooo much easier.........
i am pretty sure PUCMM in santiago has a big swimming pool. they do swimming classes for kids and adults. i do not know whether anyone can get in or they need to be affiliated with the university.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

The pool is open to anyone but there is a membership fee of around RD800 a month per person. Also, one needs to have bloodwork done and do a swim test.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The pool is open to anyone but there is a membership fee of around RD800 a month per person. Also, one needs to have bloodwork done and do a swim test.

Blood work and a swim test in order to take swimming lessons? How 'bout a CV and a carta de buena conducta and good relations with some "inside" person?

It might be easier to discover the god particle in the morning and pitch back-to-back perfect baseball games in the afternoon, than to go swimming at PUCMM.

I'll never go there. But if I did, my heart would pump purple p!ss.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012

do you know about any other alternatives to PUCMM? I don't need swimming classes- just swimming pool to swim in it

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Blood work and a swim test in order to take swimming lessons? How 'bout a CV and a carta de buena conducta and good relations with some "inside" person?

It might be easier to discover the god particle in the morning and pitch back-to-back perfect baseball games in the afternoon, than to go swimming at PUCMM.

I'll never go there. But if I did, my heart would pump purple p!ss.

A blood test is like RD300 my good friend. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
do you know about any other alternatives to PUCMM? I don't need swimming classes- just swimming pool to swim in it

I never mentioned swimming lessons, only that you have to do a swimming test. Of course, if you fail you will need lessons. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A blood test is like RD300 my good friend. :)

you missed the point, chip, it's not about money, it's about the principle. lucifer would have preferred to be back in heaven than in PUCMM pool :)